2nd Thoughts about my future

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by Jeff, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

At the moment, I currently applied to study electrical engineering in University. A few schools already accepted me but I was never too worried about acceptances. But my problem lies here...

Little background story.. I had high 70, low 80 in gr 11 sciences (chem & physics), which wasn't too bad. I thought I would be fine going forward with sciences but when gr 12 came, my sciences shat the bed (high 60 and low 70 for my science subjects). On the bright side though, math was a subject that I've never had problems with. Always 90+, (except my calculus midterm of 89 but I'm confident i can bring that back up).

Although I wish to become an electrical engineer, I feel like my sciences are somewhat holding me back to become one. It's something required to be an engineer, and to be honest I did lose interest in studying sciences. And this is where my problem comes in. My English marks were average (75%), only 1 business course (intro to business), and lost interest in science. In short, mathematics is only my forte. I feel like the amount of available careers left with "a math only" is down to a small number.

I just hope that it's not too late to realize my problem now, as I'm always questioning myself if i still want to pursue this path. I obviously do not wish to waste any money towards a program in which I might drop out a year or two later. I still have my eyes set on Electrical Engineering, but for those of you that studied engineering recently, how is science studies like? Of course if you put enough time+effort you would do well, but for a person that does not have much interest in science but still like to pursue the career.. is it still a doable 4-5 years especially at a school where expectations aren't as high?

Thanks for reading!

2. It's good that you're evaluating your future now. But if Electrical Engineering is something you really want to do, do it. Don't worry about the sciences, just apply into electrical engineering, because that's your passion.

When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to go into computer sciences, but I was just garbage at math. I barely passed the courses. And computer science is all about math. In fact, I got rejected from the computer sciences program, and was accepted into an arts program. However I still made the switch back into computer sciences after getting into the other arts program.

So if Electrical Engineering is something you really want to do, then do it.

Here's a pdf of the courses for electrical engineering, and judge for yourself if the program is for you:

(It's an outdated UofT document, but still valid)

http://www.undergrad.engineering.ut...ssets/Calendar0910/ELECTRICAL+ENGINEERING.pdf

3. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

ee mostly about physics math and logic chem isn't really important and physics is pretty much math rofl.

4. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

most of my friends in EE either transferred out into another major, or stuck through it with decent to not as glamorous GPAs. don't let difficulty deter you if that's what you're passionate about though. while the subject itself may be tough, it's ultimately the professors (at least over here in the states) and teaching assistants that you'll want to win over.

5. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

@Dan: Thanks for the PDF, interesting read. I'm glad that first year is mostly introduction to courses, so if I feel like if it's really isn't for me it's not too too late. About the Kernal courses and Technical Electives, the technical electives are optional right? As in I must have x amount of technical electives done by the time of graduation, but I have a choice as to which course to take?

@Nas: Physics isn't too bad when I have only math left to do (ie. isolation of variable). It's understanding the question that sometimes gets to me. Although my physics mark is lower than my chem mark this year, i'll pick physics if i had to choose between the two. Physics is like puzzle solving and it's sometimes hard to manipulate the equation/question is where I struggle at.

@Dav: Transferring into another major is something I could do, but I have yet to see another path that is right for me. So i guess for now I'll have to stick through it in my first year, and hopefully I could be able to pass the science courses with a decent mark. I did however choose to apply to schools with lower expectation in terms of grades because I know I can't go through the competitiveness.

6. Yes exactly. Electives means as long as you complete a course in a particular category, you can have the choice of any elective courses in that particular category.

But regardless, do enrol in electrical engineering anyways. In fact, when you go into first year, you're not even in electrical engineering yet. You only "declare" your discipline in second year. The first year is general. If you find that you don't like electrical engineering after the first year, you can freely switch to any other discipline, granted you meet the requirements of the other discipline. For example, my cousin found that she didn't like electrical engineering in the first year, and decided to switch to computer engineering after the second. So the first step is to get into the university that you want, first and foremost. Once in, you can freely move around.

Good luck

7. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

first year of college usually not the rest of your life well unless you can't pay for college past the 4 year expectations.

8. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

@Dan: Thanks for the advice! I think it's a good thing that first year is a generic year as at some point I did consider about nuclear engineering (that's Hydro One jobs right?). But yes, hopefully sciences wouldn't be a huge burden for me then.

@Nas: I might have to go 5 years of university if I wanted to do co op or intern. I dont wish to go 5 years though that's for sure.. so might do those in the summer if possible.

9. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

No one is good at everything. If EE is what you want to do then just do it and struggle through the harder subjects.

imho GPA is meaningless once you hit University level. As long as you pass.

My uncle graduated with a 66% GPA from engineering and he is now making +$300K a year running his own structural consulting business.

10. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

If I don't plan on transferring university, then GPA is meaningless. I do think I am able to pass with very low marks though (sciences) but definitely not in my expectation of grade (80). As long as I'm able to graduate with a mere passing grade, then I really have nothing to worry about.

For now, I guess I'll have to tank through.

Thanks!

11. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

With high demand for engineering now, I think GPA is not so important if you manage to graduate at least from a prominent university.

Keep in mind though, if you plan to pursue higher studies .. Master or PhD in engineering or even an MBA .. you gotta have decent grades to get into a decent/competitive program. Furthermore, if you intend to work for consulting companies (McKinsey, Bain, Accenture), transcript is not an option.

Bottom line, pursue what you want and like .. it's better to study something you love and work in the field forever rather miserable and/or regret later. Who knows ... you might just come out on top.

@fearless .. Your uncle is making +$300 in HIS OWN company .. not everyone is able or lucky enough to starts his/her own comp. Generally speaking, GPA matters. I have a friend who graduated from Stanford with a 2.10 GPA but is making $150K/ yr shortly after graduation .. got his tax license and run his own business with clients from school connections. If you graduate from University of Banana, then I highly doubt you will head anywhere competitive in the working world.

12. Dav

Dav Well-Known Member

i agree that GPA is insignificant, but only if you don't plan on attending graduate school. experience always trumps GPA though. to a degree, employers will use your GPA as a measure of your aptitude but 2-3 years into a job and it's all about networks and who you know from there. GPA at that point is moot.

and damn fearless, your uncle is swimming in that $$$. here's to hoping we can all attain some portion of the success he has accomplished.

13. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

I wish I had a degree from the University of Banana.

[​IMG]

14. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

Banana splits. Hahaha.