WINDOWS 10

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by [N], Sep 30, 2014.

1. nikkyh

nikkyh Well-Known Member

Could be graphics card drivers, maybe update them. If you sleep your computer and wake it up again, the screen doesn't come back on, try turning the screen off and turning it back on again. Windows should recognize it as a device being plugged in and attempt to use it.

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

nikkyh

Nvidia Windows 10 drivers should be new enough since this problem for me traces back to Windows 7.

But my monitor wakes up from hibernation in W10, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't for sleep.

3. nikkyh

nikkyh Well-Known Member

Did you try turning off and on the monitor after wake? I'm on W7 and when i wake, the monitor doesn't work till i do, so I thought maybe it might for you.

Sleep and hibernation are different.
    On hibernation, the computer is completely off, you can pull the power cord out. Sleep, you can't, it's put into a low power state of sorts.

4. kevin

kevin RAWR!

I think I am having a similar issue to Jeff - my pc was on this morning and it bypassed the password thing if I remember correctly. It went on hibernate, so how did it switch on by itself while I'm sleeping :eek:

I don't remember having any updates either

5. Just did fresh install of Win 10 Enterprise on my Sony Notebook. From inserting USB to back up and fully running with updates installed = 20 mins. Not bad at all, i'm surprised it found all my drivers straight up to be honest (Y)

Fresh install always fast and good (Y)

6. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

kevin

Sounds like your computer booted up, then went on hibernate. You have to check your power settings to see if your computer auto sleeps/hibernate after certain time.

7. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Turns out that the setting was on "wake" upon updates and the setting was set on "no password required" upon wake.

8. I changed my updates to "notify me" ... instead of "auto delivery + schedule". Don't want it applying updates/rebooting if I'm on-call/doing work remotely (Y)

Cortana is disable by default for me cos i'm outside of the big 'ol U S of A. As for all the other privacy things, I actually went through all settings/options as part of setting up my notebook and disabled a lot of them prior to reading the above articles :D - Haven't signed into my MS account for windows, so WiFi Sense is not enabled either. Oh, and i disable the P2P windows update delivery too... screw that. :lol:

9. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I pretty much disabled everything :lol:. Did not log into my microsoft account either. I'd rather do a manual backup rather than syncing everything to who knows where.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Two nights in a row, no problem with hibernating. No random reboots or monitor not waking. I guess hibernating is the way to go for me in W10.

i didn't know Windows 10 had this feature either; multiple desktops windows.... :shifty:

11. Yea haven't you tried using it yet? it's kind of reminiscent of ubuntu multi desktops ..

but at lest you got your sleep/hibernate issue sorted.... lol

12. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

No, haven't found a real purpose to using it :shifty:

"Sorted" out. Would love to find a fix to why sleep does not wake my monitor, but whatever. I'm not going to tinker with it anymore given that hibernating is working for me.

13. buhahaah, it's working ... just keep it that way and don't break it :lol:

14. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Hibernating was always working. I just wasn't sure if the random reboot was a 1-time problem or not. It could've been windows update, but that's not a problem for 3 straight nights.

Not tinkering with my settings for now..

15. Do you guys use the multi desktops in win10?

I know its there but haven't really played with it much cos I use my notebook more than my desktop

16. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

Nope, haven't used it. Never really used it on my Mac either. It's useful for some when you want to switch between different screens with different programs opened full screen, but I think lower taskbar program tabs are more than enough and not too necessary to use multiple desktop mode.

17. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

18. Pffffftttt.. mine is a sony :lol: Found all the drivers just fine, like i said... it was smoother than my pc install of win 10.

Full disclosure - my sony notebook is 4yrs old now, came win Win7 pro pre-installed (it's a SE Asia model - i7 2620M cpu. It found every driver automatically with windows update except for fingerprint scanner... had to use the win 7/8/8.1 drivers for that (Y)

19. StephyLee

StephyLee Active Member

I bought a Windows 10 touch screen laptop. It seems like it's only using 5.95GB out of 8GB of the RAM. I tried to look up the issue. The only solution is to uncheck the "Maximum memory" box in the "msconfig" window.

Attached Files: