Is lying wrong?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gawain187, Jun 3, 2007.

1. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

I think white lies are okay, when people ask if they are beautiful? Or if this looks okay on me? Things like that you just have to lie as to not hurt anyone. Unless something i feel is not right then I make my point.

However some people lie - such as about their job, guys/girls they've dated, making up some stuff, exam/degree results etc then this is wrong

Has anyone come across someone who has lied to them and found out later? Would you trust them again is that trust gone forever?

I have already come across a few in my life (I do not wish to mention my really personal stuff.)

2. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

White lies are okay.
    But if the person lies abt something that concerns me and makes a big difference if I find out the truth, then I probably would lose my trust for him/her.
    My trust is not easily earned neither is it easily regained. :)

3. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

i lie often but i dunno how to judge if it's good intention or vice versa....when i lied i feel guilty that eventually ppl will find out and lose their faith on me....

4. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

depends on the situation.

5. cptwalrus

cptwalrus Active Member

lying: "Present participle of lie"
    lie: "A false statement deliberately presented as being true; a falsehood."
    wrong: "Not in conformity with fact or truth; incorrect or erroneous."

Is lying wrong? Yes, lying is wrong.

6. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

Lying is wrong but it is necessary.

7. lammy29

lammy29 Well-Known Member

life without lies wud be nearly impossible

8. chickenutbread

chickenutbread Well-Known Member

ahh, the very smoky gray area. a white lie may be harmless but it is a lie nonetheless. as for the "lies" some people say as to not harm others' feelings i think i say it in a way that's not exactly a lie but not the direct truth either or else we'd have what happened in "liar liar" starring jim carrey. :p when people ask me those tricky questions like "does this match?" or "do i look fat?" where you can't win either way, i try to find an in-between answer like "this color would match better" or "you're not fat; you have meat". haha.

9. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

yep, i remember reading that its impossible not to lie and its an integral part of the human psyche

10. gyyr2

gyyr2 Well-Known Member

Even newspapers don't tell the truth in their reports. If it's needed to protect someone from harm or bad news then I think it's ok. Sooner the truth has to be shared- when the person is calmer.

11. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

I think most of the people in this forum lie sometimes. e.g. Their age.

12. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ who doesnt lie about there age seriously....my rents do....my aunties all do it....

13. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

But why lie about their age unless you are an underage trying to get into a club...

14. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

^ i dunno.......you ask your rents and do they give you a serious age....with their DOB as well??? i ask my dad and he says 25 ;)

15. BabyRain

^Haha, your dad is like Alan Tam...

16. Maverick

Maverick Lord Vader

IMAO, it all depends on your EQ.

17. hiake

In fact I know my parent's DOB (since I was VERY young) so doesn't really matter if they "intentionally" forgot their age or something :p

I know, TOTALLY.

I think MAV is right about EQ... coz people should learn to live with their age... I fragging hated people who get super depressed every year on their birthday "OMG I am a year older!"

18. BabyRain

I know my parents' DOB since young too :p
    And they don't lie about their age lol.
    The only one I have seen uncomfortable abt their age is my aunt. Lol. She hates it when those people call her 'aunty'. She would just walk off and not buy anything. haha.
    And now that she's in her early 50s' she still doesn't like it if someone addresses her as "Aunty" instead of "Miss" or "Madam" (in Mandarin should be siao jie).

Because of people like my aunt, I am very wary of addressing strangers as "Aunty". I'll usually call them "Miss" or "Madam" instead :p

19. hiake

Yeah, there are those odd ones who freak over their age...

Without realizing the only way to remain 25, or 17 for that matter, is to die at that age -devil

That arbitrary number is the number of victories one's accumulated against survival :p

20. BabyRain

^Well we can always send a minion vamp after them -devil and give them eternal youth.