Donnie Yen on Filming "xXx: Return of Xander Cage"

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Jan 20, 2017.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Donnie-Yen-2017.jpg

With the release of xXx: Return of Xander Cage earlier in January, Donnie Yen (甄子丹) has been busy promoting his new film. Filming several Hollywood movies, Donnie discussed his experience and compared Hollywood to Hong Kong productions.

Happy with the overall production of xXx Return of Xander Cage, Donnie expressed, “The cast and crew and I got along very well – they even told me that their new action stunts crew used my movie, Flash Point <導火線> as reference material. When filming stunts and action scenes, they would also ask for my opinion so a lot of the scenes encompassed a lot of my own ideas. It definitely allowed me to showcase my own personal style.”

While praising Hollywood productions for paying attention to the smallest of details, Donnie said there is definitely room for improvement in Hong Kong films. “In the recent years, I feel that we’ve been slightly lazy when it came to filming. For example, with my recent film for Wong Jing (王晶), I heard people talking in the background while we were filming. In Hollywood, everyone was very respectful – once the cameras start rolling, everyone would stop talking. Even when I wasn’t the one in front of the camera, I couldn’t help but to tell everyone to shut up so the actor could concentrate.”

In the past, Asian actors have been racially discriminated against in American films, and were often cast in unattractive roles. Having worked on xXx: Return of Xander Cage, Donnie revealed that this was not the case for the movie, and found the experience highly enjoyable.

Creds: Oncc

2. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing this movie only because Donnie's in it. He was great and hilarious in Rogue One. "You're kidding me right? I'm blind"

3. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

He was pretty good in it, the actors/actresses all had a chance to show off their skills according to their 'profiles'

:fight:

4. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

Donnie Yen deserves it too, the problem/issue is really the roles that Asians are depicted in Hollywood are really built to suit a stereotype. The media always finds a way to support or reinforce rather, people's beliefs in stereotypes. Which is usually the nerdy roles. I do believe however, Donnie Yen is breaking grounds for future Asian actors in Hollywood to start being in action films that Jacky Chan could not do. While Rush Hour was successful. at the end, people always viewed Jacky Chan as a clown. Donnie Yen in Hong Kong, since making SPL -> Flashpoint and of course Ip Man, has broken ground on martial art films internationally, and I think Hollywood is starting to take note

it's good news tbh and I am happy Donnie is the one to do it :)

5. crasianlee

What about Jet Li though? Although yeah his roles were so so also Unleashed was probably one of the better movies that had some substance ot it. It's like these Chinese/HK stars have their run in Hollywood movies and then stop.

6. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

ah good call, i totally forgot about him, Jet Li was pretty famous for a while, I remember Cradle 2 the Grave :)...yea I would agree, Jet Li had his run and it does seem every Chinese action star would have their run and then stop and disappear.

idk if Donnie Yen's success will eventually eclipse Jet Li though, I personally think it might.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Lol don't forget Romeo must die! :lol:

Donnie Yen was in Blade 2 as well if i remember correctly.

8. crasianlee

I didn't even realize he was in Blade 2. Might rewatch that then to see who he played haha...
    Yeah Jet Li was in those "black" type movies it seemed like during that era, they were good though and then he jumped into the white movies like The Expendables :p Plus out of the 3 Donnie's english is probably the most "understandable".