Chinese Diver Wins Silver then Gets Marriage Proposal

Discussion in 'Current World News and Events' started by Phoenix, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Diver.jpg

Having just completed the 3-meter springboard event, China's He Zi won more than just a silver medal on Sunday night. Her boyfriend, Qin Kai, a fellow Olympic diver met her by the podium and offered her an engagement ring on one knee in front of a very global TV audience.

She appeared shocked and overwhelmed before Qin placed the ring on her finger and gave a mini fist pump and "thumbs up" to the spectators.

"We've been dating for over six years,I didn't know that he would propose today, and I didn't expect that I would marry myself out so early.He (Qin) said a lot of things there at the podium. He made a lot of promises, but the thing that has touched me the most is that I think this is the guy I can trust for the rest of my life."

Qin Kai also won a bronze medal last week in the men's synchronised 3-meter springboard.

Many netizens on weibo praised Qin for the sweet and romantic gesture however some have disagreed that it stole the limelight from He Zi's medal winning and pressured her into making such a private life changing decision in front of the whole world instead.

Nevertheless, this was not the first engagement proposal taken place during the Rio Olympics, Brazilian rugby player Isadora Cerullo and her girlfriend Marjorie Enya also got engaged at Deodoro Park last Monday, but there was no ring on that occasion as Enya used a gold ribbon to tie around Cerullo's finger.

"The Olympic Games can look like closure but, for me, it's starting a new life with someone "I wanted to show people that love wins." - Enya to reporters.

~~
    Cred: CNN/BBC

#1 Phoenix, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • Win! Win! x 1
  2. aw so sweet any video of this? :eliza:

3. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

~~
    only found the short version, I dunno how to get the proper one off the bbc website without making you read their article again :facepalm: - myself

but here you go anyway (if you can open it from your ends) :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37079592

#3 Phoenix, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1