Which US city has most asians? Like chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Espresso, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Which US city has most asians? Like chinese?

San Fran?

2. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I don't know about Asians in general, but most people's knee jerk response would be to name the traditional Chinese immigrant landing area of San Francisco, but New York City (with close to a half million) is now by far the greatest concentration of Chinese in the US. One must also recognize that there is also a huge number of uncounted illegal immigrant within the Chinese diaspora within the US, and most seem to be centered within the New York City area.

As a percentage of overall population however, Chinese are of a much greater demographic representation in the west coast.

3. nightprincess41

nightprincess41 Active Member

San Francisco have the most chinese people

4. ralphrepo

Doubtful; New York City has NEARLY THREE TIMES AS MANY as San Francisco.

5. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

Asians = San fran
    Chinese = NYC

But overall, California have the most Asians...

6. superviper

superviper Well-Known Member

I believe both San Francisco & NYC should have most Asians.

7. MrCooperS

MrCooperS Well-Known Member

That's cool how 2 out of 10 people in San Fran is Chinese.

8. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

San Francisco itself probably don't have a lot of Chinese compared to NYC is my guess.. If you're talking about the whole Bay Area.. then. yea..

9. ralphrepo

Sorry, but that's still wrong.

Actually, according to wiki's page (from the link above) if you take ALL Chinese living in the states of California, Washington, Oregon, and combine them with ALL the Chinese living in the state of Hawaii (total together is about 476K), they STILL don't beat the number of Chinese living in New York City (486K). Again, people just mistakenly think that there's a lot of Chinese living on the west coast. The fact is there are more Chinese living in NYC alone than the entire US west coast.

10. gamer123

gamer123 Well-Known Member

how is the discrimination in those areas?

11. Kduong722

Kduong722 Active Member

San Fran does have a lot of Chinese but not out number by NYC I think. If you count the whole Bay Area than yes b/c there's so many Chinese moving into nicer town that's withen few miles away.

12. ralphrepo

I seriously don't think that people ever read a thread before commenting. In my previous post (just two above yours) I already stated...

There are more Chinese living in NYC ALONE than the entire US west coast.(*please read the hilariously humbling retraction below)

#13 ralphrepo, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  13. Lol save your typing energy ralph... people:

a) don't read
    b) don't think
    c) don't think about what they read
    d) think their speculations are expert opinions

If they couldn't see the big read download instructions when it was up before, I am willing to bet they'll miss this post of yours; and if they do, they won't understand lol

14. blueheart1985

blueheart1985 Well-Known Member

All over US are Chinese/Asians people, but I think NYC. And specially in Chinatown

15. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

San Francisco is so small and it's not like most of the neighborhoods are asian neighborhoods. It's just Chinatown and Sunset, maybe Richmond area that has more chinese. The rest of San Fran is full of whites hippies and mexicans.

16. kevin

kevin RAWR!

New member trying to get more post counts =)

17. ralphrepo

Next time, when someone starts a thread asking "Which US city has most Asians, like Chinese?" I'm tempted to just say Shanghai, LOL...

18. lahn doe

lahn doe Well-Known Member

You are correct that Nyc has the most Chinese. It is also by far the most populated city in the US. Read that wiki page more carefully. The great Los Angeles area has close to 500K and the Greater San Francisco area has over that. Don't know where you got your other numbers from. By looking at the map, one can easily say that California has the most in numbers and by percentage.

19. ralphrepo

Well Hush My Mouth, but you're right, and I'm wrong; and I see where my mistake was (I had erroneously used the large city numbers as a simple tally, forgetting to include the mid sized cities). Just goes to show that even an old dog can make simple math mistakes. Thank you for your astute clarification, and

...my humblest apologies to all for such a glaring calculation error and misstatement. -bowroflarms

#20 ralphrepo, May 6, 2012
    Last edited: May 6, 2012