Which SLR??

Discussion in 'Photoshop & Artwork Section' started by singlung2099, Aug 7, 2008.

1. singlung2099

singlung2099 Well-Known Member

I didn't know which part of the forum to post this but seeing as this seemed the most relevant I'll put it here
    I'm looking at getting a digital SLR and can't decide which to get I have about £600 (roughly $1100) to spend I was wondering what people use or would recommend. My brother has the Canon 400D my cousin uses the Nikon D80. Right now I'm looking at getting either the Canon 450D or the newer Nikon D60.

#1 singlung2099, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. black_sesame

black_sesame Member

I'd say 450D... why?
    - Its newer (12mp vs 10mp) D80 is over 2 years old
    - 3" LCD is very useful
    - Liveview is perfect for high and low angle shots

beside the specs, D80's iso performance is very weak... 450D is still sharp up to 1600

3. reno

reno Well-Known Member

i vote for nikon
    only cos i love nikons =P

plus, u can't say nikon is weak
    anything at iso 1600 is pretty crap anyway... u'd rarely use it that

but the thing i do admit to is, d80 has been out for a while
    450d technology is newer

if u consider nikon, at least consider the newer models that are out
    but at that price range, don't think there's any available...
    d300 is nice! just a lil pricey hahaha

i would say take canon 450d, mainly that ur bro has a canon
    and u can share lense etc
    and save some $$ =)

main difference between nikon and canon is, canon lenses are more expensive cos the motors and stuff are all in the lense and not the body, while nikon has it in the body.

camera body wise, it doesnt' really matter too much
    lense are more important

i'm sure regardless which one u pick, they'd b fun either way! =)

4. singlung2099

Hmm I think I may got the models numbers of the Nikon mixed up damn them with thier naming I meant the D60

5. black_sesame

black_sesame Member

i believe the D40/D60 have no focus motor in the body, therefore some older prime lenses have no AF on the D40/D60

i shoot canon, but if u want me choose between 40D and D300... i might go for nikon... (of course, it cost more)
    canon and nikon lenses price are not that much difference unless u want to go for those super telephoto (IE, 400/2.8)
    some standard canon lenses are actually cheaper than nikon (IE, 17-55/2.8)

u won't rarely use 1600 iso (as i said, 1600 iso on 450D is very useable), if i have to i will bump all the way up to 3200 iso @ 2.8 for extreme low light condition..
    i didn't say nikon is weak, i said D80 is.. not all DSLR iso performance is great, i can definitely say D70/D80's iso performance is weak because my camera's iso 1600 is way better than d80's iso 800... D300 have great iso performance, not D80

#5 black_sesame, Aug 8, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  6. -Tisken-

-Tisken- Well-Known Member

yepp agreed !!! but i would buy nikon cuz i dun really like canon x)
    dunno where you are gonna buy but with £600 ( ~1100$ euro = ~ 12000 HK $ ) you can almost buy a d300
    (dunno exactly the price of d300 but with 12000 HK$, u are pretty rich in HK )
    hm... i bought my nikon d80 + Nikkor AF-S 18-135mm 1-3,5-5,6 last year for around 800€
    thats pretty cheap compared to the prices in europe :)

7. singlung2099

The Nikon D60 body is £350 and the Canon 450D is about £450 and jessops is doing a two lens bundle for about £600

8. reno

reno Well-Known Member

have u decided yet? hehehe

well only other advice i could give would be
    go hold both cameras and pick the one that u feel is a better "hold/grip"
    makes a difference i think

im used to the nikon so i won't go canon :p
    but thats me... every1 has their own preference in terms of feel

given ur just starting out anyway, u won't notice too much difference between either
    450d vs d60

in terms of what u get out of it, i think 450d u get more from it (in terms of features etc)
    d60 doesn't have the focus motor in the body, so with certain lense, u'll have to use manual focus (which isn't a bad thing)
    its a great way to learn =)
    with ur standard lense, u won't even notice the difference

u mentioned there was a bundle with 2 lense, do u know what they are?
    i assume it'll just be ur kit lense
    18-55 with 55-200

either one, just confirm that its got OS/VR

i gotta start using my 50mmf/1.4 more >.<
    hafn't taken shots for weeks now hahaha

i should consider upgrading my body soon... hehehe
    mayb wen the d90 comes out, hope it got good specs!

9. singlung2099

The twin lens kit consists of

* Canon EOS 450D with Canon 18-55mm IS lens
    * Tamron 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 lens
    * Jessops 4GB SDHC memory card

Thanks for the advice I haven't bought it yet should have it at the latest the end of the month.

The Nikon D90 sounds like it's gonna be good but too bad it hasn't been announced when it's gonna be out

10. gordonng85

gordonng85 Well-Known Member

Remember that you're buying a system. Once you get the body, you'll buy all lenses, flashes, accessories related to that company. I opted for a Canon and paid a bit more then a similar Nikon model because I know I'll upgrade it later on with lenses, external flashes, etc.

Nikon are also very powerful but the lens required more light then it's Canon counterpart. I used a friend's Nikon DSLR and it was quite hard to shoot the indoor party because it simply required too much shutter time versus mine. You can try them out at the stores, flip through camera magazines and they will give you a better feedback then me.

I like my Canon ( had Canons from the several 35mm SLR, and 5 Powershots before buying my Rebel XT)

11. whitetsx

whitetsx New Member

I think the 450D is more in the same class as the nikon D80
    and the canon is newer and have 3" live view, so that might be a good choice

But as gordonng85 mentioned, you are buying the brand

12. woeijing83

woeijing83 Active Member

450D is wat i prefer....think about it

13. Katibear

Katibear Well-Known Member

I have a Nikon D80, but i've used the Canon 400D, and I will be honest, I prefer the Canon :/

14. reno

reno Well-Known Member

wats the reasons for that?
    but every1 has personal preferences

plus once u start with one, its hard to move over to the other one

15. Katibear

Katibear Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, I couldn't really tell you everything until I held one again, I just remembered I prefered it - it was more user friendly, smaller (i have small hands, the nikon d80 is a beast to hold for me!) and i just felt it, smooth when taking pictures - if that makes sense? ofcourse the lens used was helping but it was still a nicer camera never the less - although I would say the nikon d80 is probably more professional

16. black_sesame

black_sesame Member

cmos > ccd, thats why... lol

canon rebel (or 350d, 400d, 450d) are very good entry SLR camera imo... few of "girl" friends ask me which DSLR to get, i suggest them get the new 450D... size wise, function wise is great, not to mention the big LCD (i don't think alot of entry level DSLR have a large screen)

17. reno

reno Well-Known Member

pffttt
    big lcd... lol
    like that really helps taking the actual foto hahahaha

of cos, its all abt looks for girls :p

i still vote for nikon ftw!!! lol
    however, theres nothing nice out atm... thats worth getting as "entry" hehehe

18. reno

reno Well-Known Member

pffttt
    big lcd... lol
    like that really helps taking the actual foto hahahaha

of cos, its all abt looks for girls :p

i still vote for nikon ftw!!! lol
    however, theres nothing nice out atm... thats worth getting as "entry" hehehe

19. singlung2099

Well just as I thought I'd decided Nikon are gonna be releasing the D90 next month at £700 forthe body and £850 with lens. My cousin bought the Canon 450D so I was able to compare it with the Nikon D80 which my other cousin has along with my brothers 400D. The 450D feels better with the slightly improved compact design and a much better flash than the 400D. But I'm gonna wait till the new nikon is out and see what that feels like and start saving some extra money in case I like that better. Thanks for everyones help with this

20. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye i think 450D canon is one of the best dslr out there. also u could think about the olympus e-420 i think as that produces very gd quality pictures even though it is only 10mp i think but it is a lot cheaper at the mo.