Which is the 'real' you? online or offline?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by xiaojia, Apr 22, 2007.

?

Which is the real you?

1. Online

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  2. Offline

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. Same

19 vote(s)
    44.2%
  4. Online but I prefer the Offline me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Offline but I prefer the Online me

5 vote(s)
    11.6%
  6. Dunno/ Doesn't matter

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

I was just wondering,

1) Is the you in 'reality' the same as the you online?
    2) If not, which is the real you?

Ever considered that you are actually more of yourself online? cos of the anonymous status? Or is it the you that you wanna be but is afraid to be in 'reality'?

2. Victor123

Victor123 Member

lol yeah pretty much.. theres nothing i'd say online and not in real life.
    My online alias kinda just represents me in real life.

3. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

@XJ: Not really, I am very much the same online as in reality. Just that I would have lurk some more due to the supposed shyness in reality :p But yeah, the whacked sense of non-humour and argumentativeness? Anyone knowing me in reality can testify that.

Comes packed in a pink box, complete with acid tongue ;)

4. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

I never though about this. But its true that a lot

of people have different personality online than in

person. I think this is because Online, you don't know

the people in person so its more easy to talk and say

things. In real life, you have to watch what you say more.

5. Vinnie_boy

Vinnie_boy Well-Known Member

well the me offline is more shy but i still share the same views and if i get pissed cos i think something is wrong i would shout it out. But the offline me is shy unlike the online me so i prefer the online me where i am my up front i suppose. But the offline me is getting more and more brave so soon enough the 2 would be the same

6. tonyhk32

tonyhk32 Active Member

I mean..who knows...
    i feel like i am normal but people said i am not ..as usual when i am online..so i dont know

#6 tonyhk32, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  7. jennie888

jennie888 Active Member

its hard to be you online forums cus you cant say certain things to offend anyone unless its a no rules forum, so its kinda 2 different thing

8. adrianc

adrianc Well-Known Member

sometimes yes.
    sometimes no/

if that's an answer

9. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Very good question! Haha, and I just had posted a thread about the CyberTwin...

This is the stuff we got lectured about in the Media class but I won't use the to the boring stuff on here.

It's hard to define which is the 'real me' because I'm both offline and online. The thing with the Internet is that it's both space and time as it is (computers and cables wired up together) AND each individuality will create a space/time in his mind when visiting a network community like
    MUD's, MOO's or a forum like this.

The offline me is like many others shy and will likely to act more like others would expect from me. The online me is a bit more cheeky, more daring and "verbally" more quicker than in real life. I somehow can think faster when I'm typing.

Let's say the online me shows more of what the offline me is hiding.

(hmm we can go all the deep philosophy way but I let others do that as I'm a bit tired now)

10. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

why the need to be fake?

i am who i am online or off.

11. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

very nice thread.

12. fearless_fx

fearless_fx Eugooglizer

im as real as it gets, online and offline

13. Xiah

Xiah Well-Known Member

purtty much the same

14. yes... on here.. I'm just shy boring low-selfesteemed Ecko of PA...

but when I'm offline... the real me comes out... I am Valkorn, Defender of the Alliance.

I've braved the Fargo deep mine to feed it the bloodfish at Jaro d's Landing.

15. ^ Sure thing...<_<

But yeh...I think I'm pretty much the same ish ^^

16. casshern

casshern Well-Known Member

HOW I ACT TOWARDS GIRLS ONLINE MIMICS REAL LIFE. [​IMG]

17. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

Hmm for me, i'll haf to say both.. although online , usually people tend to be more outspoken and daring.
    there are these two boys i know online... superbly rude, loud and obnoxious. Acting tough.
    But guess what? when i met up with them, they r so quiet, shy and dare-not-look-u-in-the-eye and blush-when-spoken-to type.. Aww.

18. vinnya

vinnya Well-Known Member

online/offline, its the same for me. Not into being fake and all.

19. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

Time to answer this qns myself..

1) Is the you in 'reality' the same as the you online?

Similar.. but not exactly the same. In reality, I offer my opinions and views only when I think it matters. And mostly to ppl whom I'm closer to and I know will listen to what I have to say. Having said that, it does not mean I have no opinions when I dun speak. It just means I keep them to myself.

However, if I do share, I'm willing to say things that ppl might not want to hear. This can only be done cos I can gauge when to speak, when not to; whether to be straight forward, or tactful. And all these depends on observations of the non verbal (ie facial expression & body language) and also me understanding the audience.

On the other hand, when I'm online, I offer opinions to any thread that interests me.. even though I know that no one might even read it. Reason? probably due to the holding back in reality.. that I find a need to express what I think. It is like blogging.

Yet, due to the anonymous status of other people, it is difficult to express certain opinions, for fear of offending. Or even of what others might think. The audience also becomes larger, because every comment is public.

2) If not, which is the real you?

Both are the real me. It is just me offline vs me online. Faced with a different situation, or towards different groups of people, I tend to adopt a different approach or even a different 'character'. And I believe that most ppl are the same, but that can be another topic.

Disclaimer: The reason why I'm careful with what I say online, is largely due to the effects of policies in my country, which is quite strict on the notion of freedom of speech. With freedom of speech comes responsibilities. In other words the law applies... >.<

20. happychic

happychic Well-Known Member

I think this question quite weird, I never really think about this stuff but im thinking that Im the same online and offline, both are real to me because I dont find no reason to be fake in either