whats your opinion on guns?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by Akademik, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Akademik

Akademik Well-Known Member

What do you think about guns?
    Alot of people have misconceptions about them, and see them in a strange light. Do guns kill people? Or do People kill people? Most people would argue that people kill people, but yet there is this conception that anyone owning a gun or interested in them is gonna go around killing babies D=

For example, lately ive been getting into guns.. pistols and rifles, yet im scared to talk about it cause if i do i know people will think im some sort of pyscho thug. :wtf:

2. I am interested in guns, and I have no problem with people using guns in a responsible way. Obviously, if there were no guns, there will be no gun violence, but that will never happen. I think gun violence is definitely a product of society and people. You cannot just blame guns. There has to be a bigger picture to why a kid would decide to go into a school and shoot a bunch of other kids.

I also wonder how necessary it is to own automatic rifles ans such. And it always seems odd to me that guns are fairly easy to posess, but just a little marijuana or cocaine or a downloaded song can get me in a lot of trouble.

3. Akademik

well.. In canada there are alot of restrictions...
    you need 1 lisence for a rifle/shotgun/long gun
    2 lisences for a hand gun
    and you need special permission to own a hang gun with a short barrel (basically the really small ones that are easily concealed)
    and automatics are completely prohibited.

u from the states or canada?

4. from the US but live in Canada now, and I have not really talked to many canadians about the topic yet

5. Praxis

Praxis Guest

I think guns have had a very negative effect on the world. I do not see positive effects.

It is also cowardly in its fighting form.
    Someone can use it for sport and for hunting, but it is more commonly used and designed to kill humans in cowardly ways.

That is my opinion.

6. brownishmarker

brownishmarker Well-Known Member

well im not sure where ive heard this before but... if a kid finds a gun and they pull the trigger and kill someone not knowing that it would harm someone and with out the intent to play "cops and robbers" then i would say that its not people its the guns o_O i mean i cant throw a bullet hard enough to pierce ur skin let alone ur skull. besides SO do not agree with many things about guns in our society. i mean for one the whole "we need to have the right to have guns for our protection" bs story out there. a hand gun ok, i can see that, but why the ---- do u need a shot gun or a semi auto/ fully auto gun bang bang stop someone from robben u but bannnangangnangangnangangan would drain all his blood. as well if u are gettin robed then shoot the fugger in the arm or sommin not in his flipen head that aint self defense thats murder.

7. Okay, so why are people motivated to murder other people. If you think about it, everyday I get in my car I am driving a weapon and I could easily decide to just plow down a bunch of people.

8. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

i think einstein put it best....something along these lines
    world war 3 will be fought with atomic weapons...and world war 4 will be fought with stick and stones....in the event that any of these every happen..lets hope not...

9. Moki

Moki Guest

i think guns should be non existance as not only do they cause harm but they are accident prone in which a child could easily trigger and there's no turning back when you shoot a family memeber/friend instead of a burgler

10. brownishmarker

BRING BACK SLING-SHOTS!!!

11. Moki

Moki Guest

oh no sling shots are just as deadly those things go real fast and you could use a rock and it'll do as much damage as a shotgun shell.

12. brownishmarker

damn ur right >,<... blow straw duhickeys them things u blow and lil things come out n prick yeah. or how about pea n potato shooters u can choose ur weapon of choice!!! :smiling:

13. Akademik

LoL didnt anyone know that ppl actually HUNT with sling shots?
    Some ppl go hunting rabbits and small birds with sling shots and a rock.
    If you hit a rabbit in the head from 5 metres you could kill it.. if you hit it in the leg itll be crippled and run away slowly. just follow it and try to get it again.

a Air GUn (BB gun) rifle can hunt small game too... the pellets can go up to 1000feet per second on a good pump. 1000fps thats about as fast as 650Kmph

14. w3ndy

w3ndy Guest

The sole purpose of guns were to kill. Yes, people do kill people, and guns are merely an extension of our hands. It initiates murder easily and more efficiently. Do we needs guns? It's like asking someone, if we need to kill.

15. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

i dont think its the question of do we need guns? or if they should exist, but rather do we need gun in society. asking if we need guns would be asking if we need war. thats a different story. yea i dont understand why we would need to be able to buy guns for home use. i understand hunting rifles, its a major part of North American heritage. the fur trade.. hudson bay company, everyone remember their history? but why would you need a side arm with an extended clip. maybe i dont know much about hunting and its common for the bear to charge you when it thinks you're rifle is out of bullets.

16. Moki

Moki Guest

nope we should throw away the guns and go back to swords!

17. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

ahha swords! yea im pretty sure somone will figure out that you can put some black powder into the hollowed handle and make the stabby part fly out and kill someone

18. I just saw this story on cnn the other day, where a reporter decided to try and buy a .50 caliber rifle online. So he found a site online and he ended up buying this rifle without having to do any background checks, he just paid cash and got the gun. Then he just as easily ordered a bunch of ammunation for it. To test it out, he went target shooting using a door from an airplane and a 1inch thick piece of steel. the bullet went through both with no problem. how crazy is that?

19. DanK

DanK Well-Known Member

thats scary crazy. how did he get an airplane door? did any of you guys read that report where they were able to reduce the amount of teens carrying guns? (or less teens caught with a gun) trade off was, the percentage of knife carrying teen exploded

20. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

did anyone see bowling for colombine....in one scene....the director was given a shot gun down in texas just for the simple act of opening a savings account....of course the gun wasn't loaded...as that would be stupid..right?...hmph...interesting world we live in....