US East Coast Region Winter Storm 2016

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ralphrepo, Jan 23, 2016.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Anyone else here in an area that's affected? Name your area and report how much snow you actually got. Post pics too if you have them.

2. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

News said it's like 18 to 24 inches of snow...sucks

3. ralphrepo

As of 1100 hrs, NYC - LaGuardia Airport reports accumulations of 7.2 inches. Buses out. Elevated subways also suspended.

#3 ralphrepo, Jan 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. amano.ai

amano.ai Well-Known Member

I heard there are already at least 8 dead people :'(

Be careful everyone who's there.

5. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

I think ralph got snowed in before he could finish typing

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. ralphrepo

For some reason, I can't seem to edit. Whenever I click on active forum links, it seems to hang endlessly...

At any rate, the snow is still coming. I went out this morning when it first started, walked about two blocks, took some pics and promptly went back home. It was freezing and exhausting walking through the snow. No wonder people get heart attacks shoveling. NYC is also under a travel ban right now, where cops can literally arrest people if you're caught driving. All outdoor subway service is suspended, as well as all bus service. But they're projecting a stop tomorrow ~ 0900 or thereabouts. Hopefully they'll clear out the snow before Monday's rush hour. We stayed in and made hot pot today. Will probably do the same tomorrow too.

Stay warm, folks! ;)

7. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Lucky it's weekends and no work. Still, so much snow have to be cleared...

8. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

meh Boston only for about 3-6 inches, the roads were shit though

my friends in DC and Philly got pummeled lol

9. ralphrepo

Final count for New York (Central Park) is 26.8 inches (though Staten Island got more; 31.3 inches). My wife said that it, according to her eyeball metric, didn't seem as bad as the storm of '96.

Walked to Sky View Center today. Saw many cars that were previously parked in the street before the storm are quite literally entombed in snow, both by natural accumulation and by snow plow action. I saw poor fellow trying to get into his car and he couldn't even open the door. Yesterday, from my window I saw an industrious legion of amigos with shovels, racking up the dollar signs with sweat equity. It literally took a pair less than five minutes to dig one woman out and she handles them cash. You figure they should make at least 20 bucks to dig someone out. By my calculus, if they can do a conservative five cars an hour, that's a hundred bucks cash, tax free. No wonder immigrants are taking over this country. The regular Americans are just too freaking lazy.

At any rate, my #7 subway line is back in service but with heavy delays. Hope the city can fix it all before tomorrow's rush hour. Stay warm folks ;)

10. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

26 so far now

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I haven't read up much on it but I hope it doesn't hit Canada lol

12. amano.ai

Can you show them to us ? When I watched it on TV it seems so incredible.

Soo bad :sad:

13. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Dang we had snow here beginning of January NW area, but lasted 2 days :p Although they did shut down my work place for 2 days paid too hehe. But for those over there, do you guys get paid still when they shut down the business or does it come out of your PTO. Stay warm and safe! Here's the snow we had :p I know nothing compared to the East coast.

Attached Files:

14. ralphrepo

20160123 DSC05144 200 Edit 012 XSm.jpg 20160123 DSC05163 200 Edit 011 XSm.jpg

Strange, but it's only been a few days and most the streets are now completely cleared of snow. Storm of the century? LOL... What a joke.

• Like Like x 1
  15. amano.ai

The pics are so nice ! You're really a good photographer. The frst one is very good !

It seems amazing but I'm happy I hadn't to face something like that. I really don't like snow.

16. amano.ai

Oh ! Your son is so cute ! How old is he ? I guess it was funny for him.

17. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Thank you, yeah first time for him he's almost 3.
    Haha that's a good thing though isn't it, and yeah nice pics.