TVpad ??

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by laofuzhi, Jan 27, 2012.

1. laofuzhi

laofuzhi Well-Known Member

Anyone tried http://www.tvpad.hk/tvpad/01/ before that can comment on how good it is, etc? Can I watch HK TVB series with it? This is interesting to me because apparently, it doesn't need subsription.
    It's all in Chinese; I'm a Banana (yellow on the outside, white on the inside). I can only understand Cantonese but not read Chinese characters.

IF anyone knows better products, I welcome any suggestions.

2. mingming2006

mingming2006 Well-Known Member

Looks decent - I'm watching TVB dramas off a external hard drive, plugged to a media player. Can fetch those for like £30-£40 at the most, with HDMI cable and stuff. But the external hard drive, depends how big you want it - 250gb to even 2tb.

3. nightang3l

nightang3l Well-Known Member

My parents currently have this box. And another even worse box.

Here's a little info and my own dislike about the product.

First off its real time streaming, so lets just say if you are in America in the morning you will be watching television programs of that are aired at night. If you want to catch the latest series you will have to wake up 8 in the morning to watch the 8 at night shows in hong kong.

Secondly, they have other options where you don't just watch what is being aired. They have something like Netflix where they have old series, k-drama, and movies, that's something good. But there's a bad side to it. Currently I'm using Verizon DSL up to 11mbps speed, even with this speed, the movie or content you want to watch will buffer like crazy. It can play for one second and then stop for like 5 mins to only play another 1 or 2 second and go through the whole process again.

4. 2change

2change Well-Known Member

^
    ^

I dont trust DSL when it come to stability, but the tvpad-box sounds too good -_- i dont know.

5. nightang3l

It is unstable they claim I have 11mpbs but i range around 6-9 on average and if its 2-4 I just restart my modem, but that barely happens.

On another note I was doing a little research about the slow speed on video/movie section and someone had the same problem as me and his speed ranged according to speedtest.net is 6.26 mbps and according to the people his speed is over what the tvpad recommended.

Also my friend has the same tvpad and his dsl internet speed is a bit slower then mine but is able to watch it with very little lag.

But the admin of the forum mention about updating it and if that didn't work to contact them.

6. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

what is the full channel list for this product?

7. bigminh

bigminh Active Member

Just bought one. working fine with 45 channels from Hong kong (including TVB, AtV, Phoenix...) and others from Taiwan, mainland China. be aware it's streaming in real time and have no facility for recording. menu & instruction in Chinese only. cost £150 here in UK from ebay. for more examples, go to youtube and search for TVpad. then decide yourself.

8. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

9. laofuzhi

I can't watch series 8 in the morning! I have school. Is it possible to connect to my dvr or something?

11Mbps is still not enough to buffer? That's a concern. I'm at school; supposedly they have fiber line; not sure the speed though or if fiber lines are available in housing.

Do you know if this is something like the softwares online? You can install the software but sometimes it won't work anymore. If so, it's kinda expensive to be spending the money and who knows? Maybe less than a month, it won't work anymore.

10. useless if it doesn't record.

11. nightang3l

I'm not sure about attaching dvr and recording. The box itself is pretty simple with hdmi, power, ethernet and usb.

But I was browsing they're support site and apparently they told me to update the firmware (which I already did) and try again. If that doesn't work then I have to contact them. Which to me, points to a faulty machine maybe?

12. oldfox99

oldfox99 New Member

I am quite happy to own 2 TVpads for 3 months. I made 2 videos to test the live TV and test the video on demand feature.

Live TV : [video=youtube;5q4jf8GQE80]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q4jf8GQE80"[/video]
    Video on demand: [video=youtube;DiqEklJrYjY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiqEklJrYjY"[/video]

I also found a $30 coupon for purchasing TVpads from their official site.

13. oldfox99

oldfox99 New Member

The "asia-dvb 8000HD Live ipbox" only includes one year subscription fee. After one year, you have to pay RM400 per year.

14. SCAMWATCH

SCAMWATCH New Member

tvpad m120 defective was working 4 week then now stop working,Problem with connecting to server,checked the connection is ok, technical team help please ???

15. laofuzhi

This is not the technical team forum. I was wondering if I should buy that. And you have just told me not to. Thanks!

16. BeerBro

BeerBro Well-Known Member

17. DLCFTW

DLCFTW New Member

This tvpad seems to have a few threads popping up over the internet. Im looking to get one for my folks who are techophobic.

18. style_z

style_z Member

Does it also work in Europe? Does anyone have reliable webshops where you can buy it from?

19. JVC888

JVC888 Well-Known Member

Yes, it works (you also live in the "right" time-zone to watch live television). Buy it from their official site, that's most reliable.

20. CrazyMoFo

CrazyMoFo Well-Known Member

I love my tvpad. it works great for watching TVB, ATV CCTV channels. It also have on demand tv series and movies. My only gripe is the time difference since it streams live TV. I bought it for my parents and they don't seem the mind the time difference. I got mine off of ebay through a top rated ebay seller. I like the ebay buyer's protection. I heard people getting it through tvpad hk site took very long to get. I got mine in 3 days from ebay. Just make sure the seller has good feedback and don't get it from seller with a few feedback. And get the latest version of the unit. There are a few sellers trying to sell the older model M120 and M121 with old firmware 2.60 for the same price as the new release. Hope that helps.