TVB apologises for brownface controversy

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Apr 15, 2022.

1. [​IMG]
    TVB recently apologised over the backlash that its drama "Barrack O'Karma 1968" received for its depiction of a Filipino domestic worker.

As reported on Oriental Daily, the drama sparked netizens' anger, after it was revealed that Canadian-born Hong Kong actress Franchesca Wong was cast by the station to play the role of a domestic worker, and was revealed to have painted her skin in a darker tone to supposedly match a Filipina.

A video of the newcomer applying make-up to darken her legs has also gone viral.

On 14 April, the broadcaster released a statement, saying, "The seventh episode of "Barrack O'Karma 1968" aired on 12 April is about the relationship between domestic helpers and employers. It is a creative-based drama. In the play, actress Franchesca Wong plays the domestic helper Louisa. She has successfully portrayed this role with her professional and superb acting skills."

"TVB has always been committed to providing audiences with a high-quality entertainment experience. This station emphasises that it has no intention to express disrespect in any program or discriminate against any nationality, and apologise to anyone who may have been affected by this," it added.

[​IMG]
    Franchesca plays a Filipino domestic helper in 'Barrack O'Karma 1968

credits: yahoo

2. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Yea that's a yikes. Not giving them a free pass but HK is pretty ignorant on these blackface stuff.. and I've seen a number of controversy in the Korean industry as well. But it's 10x worse for Franchesca if she's born and raised in Canada. She should know better.

3. KilaKilaGirl

KilaKilaGirl Well-Known Member

I saw the episode and didn't pay much attention to the details like that. I thought it's normal

4. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Saw the article, didn't think too much about it though, granted it's tvb haha...they never learn....

5. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1