Street Fighter x Tekken Thread | The power of GEMS

Discussion in 'Gaming Section' started by Tony, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Platforms and release dates
    Playstation 3 & X-Box 360:
    March 6th for US
    March 9th for Europe and Japan

PC:
    May 2012

Vita:
    Fall 2012

Number of players
    1-4 Offline

Introduction
    Street Fighter X Tekken is a 2v2 Tag team fighting game developed by Capcom. The game currently has 38 characters (43 for PS3), with 12 more to be revealed by the game's Vita release this Fall.
    The game utilizes a 'Create-a-groove' like subsytem known as Gems. Gems have various activation requirements and last for a certain set of time. Each Gem offers specific buffs to the player, from a slight attack boost to an increase to the amount of meter the player gains in a match.
    Here is a list of what Gems are in the game-
    http://i.imgur.com/oP9v6.jpg
    Note that Gems that take up 2 slots are available to those who purchase the game through select retailers.

The Cast
    [​IMG]
    Street Fighter:
    Ryu
    Ken Masters
    ChunLi
    Cammy
    Guile
    Abel
    Zangief
    Rufus
    Dhalsim
    Sagat
    Hugo
    Poison
    Rolento
    Ibuki
    Mike Bison (aka Balrog, Boxer)
    Balrog (aka Vega, Claw)
    Vega (aka Bison, Dictator)
    Juri Han
    Gouki (aka Akuma)

Tekken:
    Kazuya Mishima
    Nina Williams
    Lili
    Asuka Kazama
    Hwoarang
    Steve Fox
    Marduk
    King
    Bob
    Julia Chang
    Jin Kazama
    Ling Xiaoyu
    Yoshimitsu
    Raven
    Heihachi Mishima
    Kuma
    Paul Phoenix
    Law
    Ogre

$ony Exclusives:
    Toro
    Kuro
    Cole (From InFamous series)
    Pacman*
    Megaman (not the one you think it is)*

Characters that will be revealed/released by the Vita version's release
    Street Fighter:
    Guy
    Cody
    Blanka
    Sakura
    Dudley
    Elena

Tekken:
    Bryan Fury
    Lars Alexanderson
    Alisa Boskonovitch
    Lei Wulong
    Jack-X
    Christie Montiero

Features

4-Player gameplay: Since the game is a 2v2 fighter, you can have 2 players fight against 2 others.
    Scramble mode: Accessed from the game's Versus mode, all characters will appear on screen and you and a friend can beat up on an opposing team for some hilarious and insane matches!
    Color Edit mode: Customize what a character looks like! Currently the game doesn't have many colors to work with, but Capcom's stated that there'll be FREE Color Packs to use for additional customization.
    Online Spectator mode: Watch others play online while you wait for your turn in the lobby!

Breakdown of how Gems work
    The game has a Customization menu from which the player can customize what Gems they want to use with their characters (you can play without Gems BTW).
    The player can equip up to 3 Gems (you can also have only 1 or 2 Gems equipped), and can create as many Gem setups as they want.
    The requirements for Gems to activate is pretty simple and straightforward, but here's some elaboration to help those having a hard time figuring them out:
    1- Gems that require you to connect with certain attacks, simply require you to actually damage your opponent with the specified attack for the Gem to activate

2- All Gems last for a set period of time, if you tag out a character who has a Gem activated, then the timer will still keep ticking/deplete (e.g. you activate a 20 seconds lasting Power Gem with Ryu and tag into King. If you tag Ryu in again after 20 or so seconds later, the Gems effects will have depleted)

3- The game also includes Auto-Block and Auto-Tech Throw Gems. As the name implies, they will perform an auto-block or automatically tech throws, but at the cost of your meter. These Gems are active throughout the entire match, and don't have a specific time period.

4- Easy Inputer and Super Easy Input simply the motion for special moves. SE Input makes it so that moves are now performed by holding a Direction and pressing a button (eg Fwd+Punch with Ryu will have him do a Haduken, etc.). Unfortunately, this penalizes you with a 10% drop in attack power. Non the less, you could create a Gem set-up with it in case you have a get together with friends or family, just to spend some fun time.

Gameplay stuff you should know
    1- The game has a chain system like in Darkstalkers; Light Attack-->Medium-->Hard. You can go from crouching to standing with any of these. This basic 3 hit chain can be canceled into an EX move or a Super move. If you press Hard Punch/Kick after this chain, you launch your opponent into the air and tag in your Partner, to continue with a Juggle combo. It is possible to cancel 2-hit chains into EX or Super moves though.

2- Tagging is performed by pressing Medium Punch+Medium Kick. A neat feature in the game is that, at the cost of 1 stock, you can perform an attack and press MP+MK to bring in your partner to continue your combo! This can also be useful if you want to tag in your partnet to go for a mix-up.

3- Keep in mind that you lose if your point character is KOed. The game does have 'grey'/recoverable health, and you don't seem to lose any grey health when you perform a tag.

4- When your health drops to 25% or lower your health bar will flash red. If your press Down, Down+MP+MK, you will KO your low healthed character, and your partner will be in Pandora mode. In Pandora mode, you have infinite meter, a slight boost to attack and defense, BUT if you do not defeat your opponent in 10 seconds, you will lose the match. You cannot cancel into Pandora, but you can combo into it (and as such it is the most prefered method of using it).

5- The game has the same strict damage scaling as the SF4 games, but it is possible to find some damaging combos with practice.

6- The game also has moves that cause wallbounces (Ryu's EX Stallion Kick) & groundbounces, and there is a limit to how many you can do (2-3 times).

7- If you perform a combo that has multiple juggles, wall or ground bounces, you can reset their juggle limit by tagging into your partner...and reset it AGAIN by tagging once more!

Charge-able moves
    Each character has 1 move they can charge by holding the attack button used to perform that move (eg Ryu's QCF+P, Hold P to start charging the move). There are 3 levels for charge-able moves:
    Lvl. 1 is nothing special, but only has you delaying the activation of the special move.

Lvl. 2 is interesting and is identified by a flash of lighting on your character. Lvl. 2 makes your special an 'EX' version if you let go of the button after the flash.

Lvl. 3 has your character perform their Super move! However, the charge time for Lvl. 3 is very very long, longer than Charging for Lvl. 3 Focus Attacks in SF4. In fact, chances are you'll either never charge to Lvl. 3, or only use this in certain combos (check the video section below for some examples).

Much like Focus Attacks in SF4, you can cancel a charged move by dashing forward or Backwards. One major benfit to canceling a Lvl. 2 charge is that the next attack you do will be a Counter Hit. Some CH attacks could put opponents in a Crumple state (like when being hit with Ken's Standing Hard Kick), or give more frames for you to follow with a unique combo, or juggle the opponent with certain attacks.
    Keep in mind that if the next attack you do after canceling a Lvl. 2 charge gets blocked or simply 'whiffs', you lose the Counter Hit benefit.

The Super Meter
    As in many fighters nowadays, SFxT also utilizes a super meter. The meter is divided into 3 segments and you are granted various ways of using your meter:

With 1 stock you can do:
    1- Switch Cancel: Press MP+MK during an attack to bring in your partner to continue a combo

2- Perform an EX move: Much like SF3 and SF4, performing a motion and pressing 2 attack buttons will have your character flash yellow and perform an EX move. These can extend combos as various EX moves either cause a juggle or wall/ground bounce. In addition, if you perform the EX ver. of a charge-able move, and keep charging it, you'll perform that character's super instead. Charging this way is much faster too.

3- Perform a Cross Counter: Press Fwd+HP+HK as you see an attack coming. Think of them as Parries. This will make your character perform an EX move. However you cannot combo off a Cross Counter...unless you tag in your partner who can continue the combo for you! This, however consumes 2 of your stocks, so be careful how you use it.

With 2 stocks you can do:
    Super move: Super motions in SFxT are much similar to the vs. games, for example, Ryu's is QCF+3P (this may be a problem for pad players, as the game may only have an option to set 3K or 3P). You cannot cancel Special moves into Supers in this game, however. All supers in the game do 400>Super Damage>300. Hugo's super does 380 points of damage BTW.

You can use your entire gauge to perform:
    1- Cross Art: Performed by pressing QCF+MP+MK. The damage of CAs is 100+Partner's super damage. A main benefit of using Cross Arts is that they destroy any grey health your opponent's character has. Depending on the characters you use and how you play you may rarely ever use Cross Arts.

2- Cross Assault: Performed by pressin QCB+MP+MK. Both your characters appear on-screen, but your partner is CPU controlled. Assaults last around 5 seconds, and while their main effectiveness has yet to be discovered, it can lead to some big damage if your partner is human controlled, or lead to some useful set-ups.

Various Questions
    Q1- Will there be alternate outfits like in (S)SF4?
    A1- Yes, but much like SF4 and MvC3, you will need to purchase them, but these alt. outfits can also be customized! We have yet to know about the prices for the DLC outfits however.

Q2- What are the alternate outfits going to be?
    A2- Tekken characters will cosplay as SF characters (eg Kuma wearing R. Mika's outfit, Steve has Charlie Nash's outfit, Sagat GGPOed and stole Dragunov's clothes, etc.)
    Here's a sample of some of the alt. outfits in the game-
    http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfxtk_en/system_customize.html

Q3- Will Megaman and Pacman be on the PC and 360 ver.?
    A3- We don't know yet but they might be added after the Vita ver. releases.

Q4- When will the 12 Vita characters be available for the other platforms the game's on?
    A4- We'll know about that in April...or not.

Q5- Is Poison a he or a she?
    A5- NEXT QUESTION!

Q6- Will the retailer exclusive Gems be available for those that got the normal version?
    A6- Chances are they will, as the general understanding is that those Gems are more of an 'early unlock' than anything else.

Q7- So why are there 2 cats in this game that mimic Ryu and Kazuya?
    A7- Well you could impress Japanese girls with your Toro skills; chicks dig cute little cats, so use that to your advantage and score a date!

Q8- Will there be a Super Ultimate Turbo Arcade Edition? A new retail disc for them?
    A8- No, for future content they will be patched in ala Super Street Fighter IV and the Arcade Edition updates as stated by the producer of the series, Yoshinori Ono.

Interesting and useful videos to watch
    [video=youtube;MyW5Uxi31sI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyW5Uxi31sI[/video]**
    [video=youtube;0Lq1shF8k_o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lq1shF8k_o[/video]**
    [video=youtube;SaM0lUVrrt0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaM0lUVrrt0[/video]
    [video=youtube;YSTdD_GJphM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSTdD_GJphM[/video]

Game's Rader character demos
    Rufus: http://youtu.be/6uu8N_P5tMw
    Sagat: http://youtu.be/M0v3bqMwTvY
    Cammy: http://youtu.be/vl-r-5XnyJU
    King: http://youtu.be/ojzcMlvjV6Y
    Nina: http://youtu.be/GbYQgoRK2C8
    Steve: http://youtu.be/JVqH1VAaVnc
    Heihachi: http://youtu.be/37gXtDYGLDU

Markman & co.'s SFxT combo video-
    [video=youtube;3EJ2hvM7Gp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EJ2hvM7Gp8[/video]

2. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Already brewing combos. Bruce Lee powerrrrrrr. When they put in Lei as DLC character, gonna rock that Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan

[video=youtube;9NtYtPqWbJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NtYtPqWbJI[/video]

3. oh shit.. law n long tag team.. if they have it.. i might have to get the game..

4. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

No Fei. But they are throwing in Lei as DLC further down the line.

5. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Like combos? I just made a video for Law aka the Bruce Lee clone!

[video=youtube;bbfSHIHkUi0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbfSHIHkUi0[/video]

6. setshiro

setshiro Well-Known Member

which gems you been using? I'm testing out an iron wall 3 and onslaught 2

7. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

please tell me im wrong otherwise capcom are complete idiots.

the 12 so-called dlc characters are all hard-coded out of the game and you can even see their profiles in the game now?

8. Coolguy

Coolguy Member

If what you mean is that the 12 characters are already in the game? Then yes, unfortunately it's true. They included all the 12 "dlc" characters including most of, if not all, the extra costumes on the disc already. Rationale is that us as consumers have a smaller file to download. Certain glitches even make these "dlc" characters playable.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. Seems like a cash grab to me....

9. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Like default stuff. Nothing too serious. I have two damage gems and a meter gem on my anchor. Procs when he gets tagged in from launcher and etc. First character has damage, meter, and speed.

On disc DLC just like everybody else is doing in the games industry. Hacked xboxes got modded to use them. They're officially not released yet.

http://www.giantbomb.com/on-disc-dlc/92-4704/

10. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

thanks 4 response coolguy

imo certain other companies milking their fanbase doesnt justify capcom doing it like this.

imo there is no such thing as 'on disk dlc' you bought it with the game, you're not downloading it , you are unlocking it. the key is hardly content, so its not even dlc, its just an unlock code to use content already on your disk, already made and tested requiring no effort from capcom to make AFTER the game was released.

i hate the way things are going now, this is one reason why i sold dirt 3 and will not touch a codemasters game again. silly capcom, people will get fed up eventually.

11. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

And people are supporting it for the past few years. There's nothing ground breaking here.

12. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

indeed but i think change (Yes we can (sic)) will happen eventually.

ive seen the power of pee'ed off people. happened with modnation racers on vita. releasing MK competing kart game with no online multiplayer.... reason? because online multiplayer is old technology and its all about downloading ghost data nowadays. almost as bad as so-called dlc on the disk because capcom really care about our hard drives and go out of their way to create dlc before tne game is released and stick it on the disk to save space for us.

btw, last i heard modnation is getying a free patch to give the game onoine multiplayer thanks to the outrage.

13. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

im on 3ds so spelling may be iffy.

14. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

The game is good for sure. I've been playing it almost every day since I got it the weekend before release.

15. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

Yeah, not doubting how good it is though i have not played it.

I got so mad on SF i punched my TE Arcade stick to death. doesn't work anymore, like if you duck, your character stays ducking. then i threw it away. was taking up to much of my time anyway

16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

well these kinds of games boil down to pretty strategic applications. since it's a space oriented game on a 2d plane, you have to consider how your characters can attack and certain spaces. even if you're out of range of touching people, there's always the possibility of hitting someone's attack if they are keeping you out. just a basic concept

17. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

Naaw, i got the footsies down, my spacing was one of the things that made my wins easy, especially with rose and deejay, didnt use any shotos or high tier though, no point, everyone else was doing it.

ahh well, ill play forza now.

18. Hartia

Hartia Well-Known Member

ugh...still deciding whether to get this or not. I have a copy of twisted metal and someone is willing to trade SFxT for it....plus i got it for free so its no loss...

19. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

DLC updates coming in April and beyond.

FREE
    Nine new gem packs totaling 60+ new gems
    Replay analyzer
    Tournament support for gem selection
    Three new quick combo pre-sets
    Three additional gem loadout slots
    Three new color packs with four colors each

PAID
    Swap Costumes - $1.00 (80 MSP) each or in two $13.00 (1040 MSP) Street Fighter and/or Tekken packs
    DLC characters - $20.00 (1600 MSP) for all 12 new fighters

20. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

Ouch Thats a third of the value of the entire game (@ RRP) for something that was already on the disk. ahh well.