Stephen Chow to Produce "Dragon Ball" in Hollywood

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Nov 15, 2007.

1. [​IMG][​IMG]
    Wednesday November 14,2007 USA

Stephen Chow Sing Chi will be producing a live-action version of famed Japanese anime, "Dragon Ball" in Hollywood. The movie will be funded by Twentieth Century Fox studios. Although the movie has not started filming yet, the USA release date has been slated for August 15, 2008, which will capture the summer audience.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

James Wong will be directing the movie. Cast members include Justin Chatwin and James Marsters. Justin will play the lead role, Son Goku.

Combining Western and Eastern talents, what will result in Stephen Chow's "Dragon Ball?" Will it do justice to Akira Toriyama's famed manga and anime classic?

Other cast members have not been confirmed yet. But it was widely speculated that Stephen may choose to employ artists under his production company, such as Zhang Yuqi. In an interview yesterday, Stephen also said that he would like to cast Edison Chen Kuen Hei in the movie as well. However, the final casting choices will be determined by Director James Wong.

The script has not been revealed yet. Will Stephen's movie focus on the quest of the 7 dragon balls and Son Goku's battle with the universe's greatest martial artist? Or will it center around "Dragonball Z's" plot, where Son Goku defends Earth against various super villains? Undoubtedly, the live-action version of "Dragon Ball" will be highly anticipated among manga and anime fans!

In 2004, when Stephen promoted "Kung Fu Hustle" in Japan, he admitted he was a great fan of "Dragon Ball." Also, at the end of "Kung Fu Hustle," Stephen's character utilized a fighting style reminiscent of Son Goku's trademark style in "Dragon Ball."

credits: jayne.

2. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Wow, an other anime theme turning into movie?

Stephen Chow as Goku, this would be a movie i will be anticipated to watch

3. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

well kung fu hustled bared a resemblance to dragon ball anyways so it can happen, but stephen chow is only producing , don't really know how it's gonna work out. Of the casting, i can see edison chen and james marster fit into their roles.

4. aznbabie51o

aznbabie51o Active Member

ehh. So i guess stephen chow not gonna be one of the characters? =/ i think this film might be a bit weird since a few characters are caucasian. it's not a racial thing, im just use to seeing dbz as like jap anime, etc =] oh wells hope it turns out well hehe

5. i don't have a very good feeling abt this movie... let's hope i'm wrong :p

6. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting...we shall see...

7. rockman3

rockman3 Well-Known Member

I totally agree I dont have a good feeling towards this film... How are they gonna do the CG for super saiya lol~~ This will be fun to see ....!!!

8. ChilliChidori

ChilliChidori Well-Known Member

I also hope the movie doesn't dissappoint me. I liked DB when I was young.

9. Rev

Rev Well-Known Member

Good to see someone is trying to make a live action out of it. But just like most people, I aswell got a bad feeling about this. I hope they make it wonderfull .. even better then the Anime version.

10. stilish

stilish Well-Known Member

definitley going to watch it, but definitely not sure whether it'll be worth it...:)

11. k100

k100 Active Member

wow deadly i will go watch that but if they make a flunk of this god so help them making another anime look bad but i have my faith in chow sing chi's hands

12. WILLard

WILLard Well-Known Member

this should be interesting. weird too. wonder what language it will be in? hope it turns out well.

13. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

This would most likely be a comedy then if Chow Sing Chi is there. -clapclap

14. saikira

saikira Well-Known Member

wow is that spike from buffy playin as picklo?
    yay~ another film by stephen chow, been really popular now
    cant wait and i hope edison chen joins the cast~

15. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

Hopefully it will follow the same style as the original Dragonball series not dragonball z. I much prefer the comedic elements of the original compared to the endless screaming in Z.

16. itzd0pey

itzd0pey Well-Known Member

i stumbled on this yesterday on g4 LOL :x anywho its releasing next year i think they said august?

17. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

yepz me too...im afraid it will be disappointing...
    but oh well...we'll see.....

18. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

it could go both ways but lets hope it turns out good..cant wait for it but owells..gota be patient..=P

19. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

its wrong its just totally wrong
    how can someone portray songoku in liveaction movie man ..... i mean the hair
    i just hope it doesnt involve anime from the manga/anime

it will be a good idea to actually have an adventure about the dragon balls itself, something that is irrelevant to songoku and stuff

we can expect alot of CGI on this

20. asiangang

asiangang Well-Known Member

okkay then...kinda weird...but u never know...could turn out to be really coolXD