Ruco Chan, Nancy Wu Crowned TV King and Queen at 2016 TVB Anniversary Awards

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Dec 18, 2016.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

2016-tv-king-and-queen.jpg

Hong Kong’s 2016 television season has come to an end with the TVB Anniversary Awards, which were held on Sunday, December 18. This year, regular MC Carol “DoDo” Cheng (鄭裕玲) co-hosted the show with Sammy Leung (森美) and the duo FAMA (農夫), bringing new faces to the industry’s most prestigious ceremony.

A total of 17 awards were handed out on Sunday night, including the professionally-judged TVB Lifetime Achievement Award and the Professional Actors Award. Winners were determined by both popular vote and a professional judging panel, with some awards determined by votes submitted by TVB’s own artiste department.

Martial arts drama A Fist Within Four Walls <城寨英雄> was the night’s biggest winner, taking home six awards including Best Drama. The drama gave 39-year-old Ruco Chan (陳展鵬) his first TV King win in Hong Kong. 35-year-old Nancy Wu (胡定性) won Best Actress for a second time, becoming the second actress after Sheren Tang (鄧萃雯) to win TV Queen two years in a row.

“After so many years in the industry, I thought about giving up,” said the new TV King during his acceptance speech. “But I was fortunate enough to have so many people around me to give me opportunities to continue trying. This is my 21st year in the industry. There are so many people I want to thank! I will never forget you guys!” Ruco especially thanked his mother, who was in attendance, for her unwavering support since he first decided to become an actor in 1994.

Nancy Wu, now a two-time TV Queen, said, “A year has gone by so fast. When they called my name last year, I was in shock. I felt like I was dreaming. I didn’t expect that I’d be able to step into this stage again this year.”

A Fist Within Four Walls’ Benjamin Yuen (袁偉豪) and Grace Wong (王君馨) respectively won Most Popular Male Character and Female Character, giving them their first major acting award in Hong Kong. With their wins, A Fist Within Four Walls has become the first drama since 2008’s Moonlight Resonance <溏心風暴之家好月圓> to win all four major acting categories.

Benjamin thanked his ex-girlfriend, Jennifer Shum (岑杏賢), for her support in the last three years. “For years, I didn’t do anything else but work. I’ve neglected so many people. This award is for you too! Thank you, Jennifer!” Benjamin then thanked his parents, with tears in his eyes.

Grace was in shock when her name was announced for Most Popular Female Character. The 30-year-old actress, who is recently engaged, thanked her friends and the crew of A Fist Within Four Walls for bringing her character into life.

Former TV King and Queen Wayne Lai (黎耀祥) and Sheren Tang presented the Best Drama Award. Annie Liu (劉心悠) and Candy Lo (羅霖) presented Best Actor, while Frankie Lam (林文龍) and Jessica Hsuan (宣萱) presented Best Actress. Virtues of Harmony <皆大歡喜> stars Nancy Sit (薛家燕), Joyce Chen (陳彥行), Louis Yuen (阮兆祥), and Johnny Tang (鄧兆尊) presented Most Popular On-Screen Partnership. The main cast of Come Home Love <愛·回家> presented the variety awards.

Check out the full list of winners below, including the top nominations:

Best Drama
    “A Fist Within Four Walls”

Best Actor
    Ruco Chan, “A Fist Within Four Walls” — WINNER
    Roger Kwok, “Dead Wrong”
    Benjamin Yuen, “A Fist Within Four Walls”
    Bosco Wong, “Two Steps from Heaven”
    Vincent Wong, “Over Run Over”

Best Actress
    Nancy Wu, “A Fist Within Four Walls” — WINNER
    Kristal Tin, “Brother’s Keeper II”
    Tracy Chu, “Over Run Over”
    Maggie Shiu, “The Executioner”
    Priscilla Wong, “Two Steps from Heaven”

Most Popular Male Character
    Benjamin Yuen as Duen Ying-fung, “A Fist Within Four Walls” — WINNER
    Ruco Chan as Chor Au-kuen, “A Fist Within Four Walls”
    Vincent Wong as Kwan Ding-ming, “Over Run Over”
    Bobby Au-yeung as Po Foon, “House of Spirits”
    Louis Cheung as Tim Yau, “Two Steps from Heaven”

Most Popular Female Character
    Grace Wong as Fa Man, “A Fist Within Four Walls” — WINNER
    Joyce Tang as Po Yan, “House of Spirits”
    Nancy Wu as Tiu Lan, “A Fist Within Four Walls”
    Natalie Tong as Yiu Yiu, “Speed of Life”
    Tracy Chu as Ling Sun-fung, “Over Run Over”

Best Supporting Actor
    Raymond Cho, “Short End of the Stick” — WINNER
    Hugo Ng, “Brother’s Keeper II”
    6-Wing, “Two Steps from Heaven”

Best Supporting Actress
    Katy Kung, “Two Steps from Heaven” — WINNER
    Joyce Tang, “House of Spirits”
    Grace Wong, “A Fist Within Four Walls”

Most Improved Male Artiste
    Jonathan Cheung — WINNER
    James Ng
    Matthew Ho
    Hubert Wu
    Mark Ma
    Bob Cheung

Most Improved Female Artiste
    Ali Lee — WINNER
    Tracy Chu
    Stephanie Ho
    Mayanne Mak
    Moon Lau
    Katy Kung

Most Popular Drama Theme Song
    “Never Know You Are the Best” (“A Fist Within Four Walls”) by Ruco Chan and Nancy Wu — WINNER
    “Remember to Forget Me” (“Wu Xin: The Monster Killer”) by Alfred Hui
    “Love Takes Courage” (“Dead Wrong”) by Stephanie Ho

Most Popular On-Screen Partnership
    Vincent Wong and Tracy Chu, “Over Run Over”

Best Host
    Carol Cheng and FAMA, “Do Did Eat” — WINNER
    Eric Tsang and artistes, “I Heart HK”
    Sammy Leung and Sharon Chan, “Sunday Stage Fight”

Best Variety Show
    “I Heart HK” — WINNER
    “Do Did Eat”
    “Spirits on Vacation”

Best Informative Program
    “Sidewalk Scientist” — WINNER
    “Not Far but Away: Cuba”
    “Sermon by Ben Sir”

Best Special Program
    “Peak to Pit” — WINNER
    “Hong Kong Heroes”
    “A Time of Love II”

Professional Actors Award
    Jerry Ku
    Carlo Ng
    Chun Wong

TVB Lifetime Achievement Award
    Chow Chung

Judging criteria:

TVB profesional panel (100%)
    TVB Lifetime Achievement Award, Professional Actors Award

Public vote (50%) + TVB professional panel (50%)
    Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Drama, Most Popular Male Character, Most Popular Female Character, Most Popular Original Drama Song, Most Popular On-Screen Partnership

TVB professional panel (50%) + TVB artistes (50%)
    Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Most Improved Male Artist, Most Improved Female Artist, Best Host, Best Variety Show, Best Informative Program, Best Special Feature

2016-tvb-anniversary-awards.jpg 2016-tvb-anniversary-awards-raymond-cho-katy-kung.jpg 2016-tvb-anniversary-awards-ruco-chan-nancy-wu.jpg

Creds: ihktv

#1 b-lee, Dec 18, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  2. KeNNy

KeNNy Well-Known Member

BS awards. Dead Wrong was best TVB drama I saw this year. Like 4 walls but Dead Wrong was better IMO.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

Think Roger shouldve gotten that award. But i like Ruco, he deserve it. 21 damn years in the industry.... that takes ALOT of motivation and dedications. Some new people are so lucky to even be there, but it took Ruco that long. He's a great singer and actor. Pretty sure Wayne and Roger didnt care about the award as much as Ruco does. These niggas had like 3 already.

4. KeNNy

KeNNy Well-Known Member

Agree Turbo, I like Ruco since his ATV days but these awards... cant give it to someone just because he been in the industry for many years. just my opinion.

5. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

I think Ruco's award was well deserved but I also agree that Roger deserves it a lot more. My opinion was while Wall was a great drama, Ruco and co did a great job, but at the end the drama felt like a comic with the story telling and all, not a complaint still great drama

Dead Wrong in my opinion had the deeper story line with in depth detail and Roger in my opinion should have gotten it.

In my opinion, awards should always go to the one who earned and deserves it more, the stronger candidate not that I am saying Ruco didn't deserve it, I am happy he got it, he did GREAT in his character but his character in my opinion is overshadowed by Roger

• Like Like x 1