Question on religion (mainly Christianity)

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by 無得頂, Jun 20, 2007.

1. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

What is the ultimate goal of being a Christian and devoting your life to God?

Some people say the ultimate goal is to go to heaven. So I ask them if they have been or know of any person going to heaven before. And they say no. So Christians put all their trust in God (not yet proven to exist) and try to reach a a place called heaven (also not proven to exist) that has never even been reached by any person before. I think that is a little bit meaningless.

I think I know what the original purpose of a religion is. Explain the world, give hope to people, unite people together, explain afterlife, etc. But is it truly necessary for people in today's society to devote their life to a particular religion? I don't see any real advantage of it other than a false sense of comfort.

2. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

The purpose of religions (or at least the majority of them) is to give a closure to its followers, one closure with undeniable certainty. Some people find comfort in the certainty, be it heaven or hell or afterlife.

Science cannot replace religion because science is NEVER certain, we learn more each day and fix whatever theory we have to describe the world.

3. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

Great videos, I've seen some like these before.

So have YOU been to heaven (or hell)?

People can believe in anything they want of course, but I don't see how not believing in a religion will change anything. I've been through a near death experience too about 4 yrs ago. I recovered quite quickly without needing to believe in the power of God or seeing the evils of hell.

Will Christians start changing their minds about following Christianity after hearing about my survival of my near death experience without me needing to believe in God?

So what is the true point of believing in Christianity? The videos show people who claim to have been to heaven or hell and experienced God's power, then came back to earth. I don't see that as a reason for other people to start believing in God and living by the church.

4. YES, but will that make a difference to you? will any of the articles make a difference ?.

read the articles, they re much better than the videos which even i admit, look tacky due to lack of funds

im getting a Roman catholic feeling here......

5. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^ Why? What's wrong with Roman Catholicism? Are Protestants "better/more pure" than them?
    Thought it was up to God himself to judge about people?

6. ah trick question, your Christian blocker will block out my answer yeah ??

7. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Sites, Christian sites and I can set the level of filtering, how dumber the stuff the more advanced the blocks.

OK, and now answer my Q in post # 6? Without refering to a site.

8. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

It does make a difference to me. I want to know why you returned to earth only trying to get back to heaven again.

It is easy to look for confirmations in a theory. The difficult part is for theories to be able to handle disproofs.

With so many contradictions and unproved evidence in Christianity, it is surprising to see so many people still unnecessarily choosing to believe whole-heartedly in God and living by the church.

9. Catholicism is not Christianity, the only similarity is they both mention the name Jesus, from there it ends. but a Christian in the catholic organisation is not a catholic but a Christian, there are some who have actually read the bible (catholic's dont read or use the bible) and seen the Herises and stayed catholic for family reason but abandoned its teaching, and followed the word of God. they are as i said, Christian, not catholic.

i also know your friend is catholic btw.

10. ill be honest, i was given the choice to stay or come back, and at that point i started scanning through my mind for every reason to possibly come back and the only reason why i said ill go back is because of my mom. i even remember the day, i remember the room, what i saw, everything, my memory also goes back to that day but i cant go back any further for some reason.

11. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

Wow, so YOU are segregating here based on your own words and not God's?! Did God mention that in any of the verses in the Bible?
    Catholics are NOT christians? According to who? According to you?

"The principal sources for the teachings of the Catholic Church are the Sacred Scriptures (the Bible), Sacred Tradition, and Living Magisterium"

They teach according to the Bible.. says who that they are NOT Christians?! I think i should call the Pope to have a word with you... <_<

BTW, whose friend are you referring to?

12. its a narrow road ehh

not yours :p

13. BabyRain

BabyRain Doppelgänger of da E.Twin

Narrow road according to YOU? Who are you? You ain't God and you are not supposed to play God.

Not mine, then whose?! I think people would like to know too.

14. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

Are you sure it wasn't a dream created due to your obsession with Christianity and God? I dreamt of saving the world when I was young after watching too many superman episodes.

If there really is a heaven, I do not think God will give you a choice to either go back to earth or stay. Technically if God knows everything, then He will already know that you will choose to stay on earth; therefore, He doesn't need to bring you up to heaven.
    If there is a heaven, it is not a place where people can come and go freely. It's a place where God chooses special people to go. So what if you die of old age and you don't want to leave your grandchildren? Does God ask for your choice and then send you back down?

15. ^ it wasnt a dream, it happened before i knew what Christianity was, before i knew who Jesus was. before i knew anything about the things i saw. regardless of what he already knows, he gave me a choice, and to this day i appreciate the choice.

^^
    no im just a Christian who quotes the bible :p

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

i dont think i played God just then -huh?

16. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Before you knew what christianity was....so if let's say you were confronted with Catholic, Islamic or Buddhist views which can explain this experience of yours as good as Protestantism you could have easily turned into another religion instead of Protestantism? Who says other religions or currency's never gave you a choice? It's just how YOU interpret the things for yourself.

17. sure..

18. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

^^^that's close to spam. -nono

If you admit that it's just your own interpretation, you can never tell others that protestantism is the only christianity and roman catholicism isn't the same as christianity as others have as much right to think for themselves. No need to spread the evangelical in the Third World than, don't you think?

19. wind2000

wind2000 Self Schemata

And so the never ending debate topic begins again. -lol