News about 溏心風暴

Discussion in 'Heart of Greed - 溏心風暴' started by wasabi_wasabi, May 14, 2007.

1. wasabi_wasabi

wasabi_wasabi Active Member

I came across this news article about this series. (Quickly skimmed through these threads...seems like no one started it yet...I hope!)

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/070513/60/27b1z.html
    (This link is in traditional chinese.)

This show is currently super popular in Hong Kong. "The talk (topic???) of the city"

Generally speaking, it talks about how people are uploading this series online on various websites, and also on YouTube. TVB is unhappy about it because they believe it is affecting their "Viewers Count" (I can't think of the translation at the moment...bear with me..) during their actual airing time.

The actors and actresses are happy to see that this series is so popular, but they respect the decision of their employer (TVB). They hope that people can support this series during the actual airing times.

TVB is going to send letters to the people who are uploading this series online, in hope that it will be taken off.

2. cat

cat Well-Known Member

I am sure TVB is not happy about this issue at all as you mentioned this affect the viewers count.

3. wasabi_wasabi

Yeah, I know. It's too bad some of the overseas people can't really watch it while it airs in Hong Kong. Also, if people miss an episode while in Hong Kong..having it online gives them a chance to catch up with it. Sure, having it online is violating some rights and whatnot...but it just means all the more people are watching TVB.

4. daphne_uijen

daphne_uijen Member

OMG - I hope they won't take TVB series off the Internet - or else there will be many many people who will be feeling very sad. Yeah, I agree - this just means that all the more people ARE watching TVB.

5. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

It's harder for overseas folks who don't subscribe or aren't able to watch it on TV, so TVB should be understanding at least about that...

6. cat

cat Well-Known Member

Yes I agree. Having it online is easy for people to download a missed episode.

7. it's still illegal ... you can rent the tapes here still. by you not tuning in to jade tv or paying to rent the tapes ... you are stealing from TVB...it's logic that they will be upset....but i dont know how they are going to stop it ...there are millions of china sites alone...that are uploading TVB...i guess they have to accept that the internet is the future...and so is downloading... maybe they should go with the trend and start a "Pay To See" TVB series sites...that will influence people to pay to watch....but it comes back to who will pay when you get can free?

8. wasabi_wasabi

It is still illegal, no doubt about that. I think TVB should just start up a 'streaming like' community...(something like YouTube). Making it available online. This will increase TVB's popularity and at the same time make it available almost anywhere..Since there's a lot of web communities that provides similar services, a big corporation should be able to start up something of the sort.

There ought to be some way for them to remain an income (I mean, the advertisements should be able to help. That's "generally" how TVB remains free in Hong Kong anyways.

(This is merely a thought. Please don't attack me on it..if anyone disagrees..lol!And yes, I am aware there's a lot of other factors to consider..=))

(Ohh...and just wondering..Shinobi (if you read this). How does Popular Asians avoid from violating laws/remain uncaught? Or are we an illegal community to begin with???)

9. when running such site we are risking it...theres no way to avoid since our site is based on downloading free music, movies, and series. But i think of it this way if TVB wanted to take action they would start in their own country first...which is china/hk. shutting down a site that's based in canada...doesn't help anything...they would probably shut down the episode rippers first... like hdzone/neo etc...they are the ones providing the free episodes without them we would have none to share & watch. But yea everyday's a risk when running a forum like this....but we do it for the people! :)

10. wasabi_wasabi

I see! I've thought about catching people in Hong Kong first as well.

Well, good work Popular Asians team! You're doing a great job with this forum. Best forum so far! :)! Thanks.

11. tung

tung Active Member

TVB trying to fight a battle that they can't win. too many out of country sites that they have no jurisdiction over of. And i agree that the best way for them to do it is make a free streaming site that they get money is from advertisement. The only way for them to totally stop it is stop total internet access from outside of HK, and which we know that would never happen. They should b happy that they are so popular outside of HK too. And TVB tape rental place are going out of business way b4 internet sharing of tvb thing. They charged way too much for license for stores to rent out stuff. i think last that i know of is like 20k a month. Not sure how much is it now. And the that amount of $$$ that the stores have to pay. They don't always get quality series or movies to rent out. And ppz rather share tapes, vcd, or DVDs now than to each family borrowing it. I think TVB kinda dig their own grave on this issue. And what they release rentals outside of HK are pretty damn slow, sometimes not at all.

12. dreyvii

dreyvii Well-Known Member

Shinobi, just wanted to voice out heartfelt gratitude for overseas viewers like myself. Thanks for all your contributions and hard work in order to bring us closer to our favourite shows...-clapclap

13. wasabi_wasabi

I use to rent TVB tapes (tapes..that's how long ago..lol) long ago...but a lot of the time the quality isn't well (because too many ppl rent it watch it, and dub it). Like tung said, they charge those licensee too much and then charge us too much.

14. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

Not to mention, those places are often in areas where there are a lot of Chinese people. There's no way you can think about having one of those places in Michigan, where I'm from. And there's also no way I'm going to drive 3 hours to Chicago to get TVB episodes.

15. wasabi_wasabi

In that case, yeah that too! It's also inconvenient compared to having it online.

16. asiangang

asiangang Well-Known Member

r they gonna arrest those ppl or sumthin? or just send them letters?

17. wasabi_wasabi

well, the news said they will first send them a warning letter. If their uploading persist, then further action will be taken.

18. OhanaUnited

OhanaUnited Well-Known Member

youtube is actually a better version of BT... no need to reply on seeds and download at a fast speed

19. Championchi

Championchi Member

see this is whats unfair, i speak for many overseas tvb fans when i say that its not like we WANt to dl it, we just need to because tvb series overseas are always 2 yrs behind. We cant watch it if we dont dl, so TVB should understand the difficulty some face. And besides, the oversea fans cant contribute to viewer count anyways, ALSO< the viewer count was like 36+ this week so wtf in many other series the final episode only had like 31 at the most peak points!! they should be happy that the heart of greed fad is catching on and not going about reaming loyal viewers of tvb!!

20. rockme

rockme Member

love the this series, it is kinda good because it is about family war.