Miss Hong Kong 2017 2nd Round Interviews

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Jun 27, 2017.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

Miss-Hong-Kong-2017-2nd-round.jpg

Miss Hong Kong 2017 held its second round interviews today. From over 130 applicants at the first round interviews, 61 women were called back for second round interviews.

Emerging as this year’s number one favorite, 24-year-old Kelly Ng from Canada was immediately dubbed as a young Carmen Lee (李若彤). Appearing in a pale pink bodycon dress and a ponytail, Kelly expressed that she is confident about the competition.

Twenty-three-year-old Boanne Cheung (張寶欣) is the younger sister of Bowie Cheung (張寶兒), winner of Miss Friendship 2016. Boanne revealed that Bowie shared advice on how to pose elegantly for photos.

Louisa Mak‘s (麥明詩) friend, Christina, is another confident applicant. Wearing a low-cut dress and showing off her toned figure, the 22-year-old admitted that she is not too fluent in Cantonese.

Other favorites include 23-year-old Nicole Wu (胡美貽), 21-year-old Michelle, 23-year-olds Regina and Nicole Kam. Nicole Wu resembled Tracy Chu (朱千雪) due to her sweet smile.

This year’s youngest applicant is 17-year-old Mandy, who stood out at 5-feet-7-inches. Twenty-five-year-old Suki is the tallest applicant at 5-feet-10 inches.

Twenty-year-old Shirley is a native from Harbin, China and resembles both Moka Fong (方媛) and Krystal, a member of Korean girl group f(x).

Several applicants stood out with their awkward features. Surprisingly, 22-year-old Tomato was called back for a second interview despite her toothy smile and bony figure. Twenty-three-year-old Moon Ho resembles Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter. Twenty-seven-year-old Amanda was one of the oldest contestants as well as one of the hairiest, with unkempt hair all over her legs.

Miss-Hong-Kong-2017-mandy.jpg Miss-Hong-Kong-2017-nicole.jpg Miss-Hong-Kong-2017-tomato-moon-ho.jpg

Creds: Ming Pao

2. in that pic the white girl got this face : :shino: LOLL

3. Espresso

Espresso Well-Known Member

Keep HK, HK. Stop the CBC, ABC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

why? I don't see a problem with bringing in these other girls from other countries. Rules as is, is already strict enough where you have to have some sort of ties with HK either by family or you yourself at one point has to hold a HK id/residency?

it's business reasons as well in getting the TVB brand out of HK which they already have a strong base on Vancouver, Singapore and Malaysia. And business aside, I don't mind it as you bring more character into HK culture. I like the idea of having an actress like Grace Chan, or Kelly Chan representing the Chinese of US, or if you're Canadian, you'd probably love having the Linda Chungs, and other repping your city/country.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Espresso

That‘s 中華, not HK. To be fair, Hong Kong right now is going through democratic / political identity crisis now which is creating disdain against outsiders.

It makes more sense to me if you are representing HK by being from HK. Being a CBC, ABC, or having ties with out the culture makes no sense to me. Especially if you cannot represent HK!! Having a Chinese bloodline, or fulfilling the pagent guideline requirement doesn‘t mean a thing. To say the least, they loosened the standard!!

You can compete for Miss Chinese Intl or something thereof, but I feel Miss HK, should be about HK.

6. xaznxryux

their disdain is more towards mainland Chinese than they are towards Westerners. Not to say they don't have anything against us, but as China inches closer to taking control of their politics, I doubt we are the least of their concerns. So therefore this is a point where I disagree

I honestly don't see much of a difference whether you are from Canada or US, most of these contestants go through interview process staged in their respective cities by TVB reps anyways, these girls are heavily vetted before even having a chance to reach HK to compete. Especially in a place like Vancouver where TVB has invested so much money into, it made sense in TVB's standpoint to have contestants coming from there also. Not to mention how heavy of a Chinese influence Hong Kong has in that city alone, not just other US cities.

Sometimes it's not just about the audience but about the business, there's more investment opportunities if you expand your brand more. If you are worried about having just HK being HK, you can put a cap as to how many people enter the contest are from out of Hong Kong. make it more competitive to come out of their foreign cities to compete in Hong Kong (which are probably already in place, but feel free to find that out)

At the end, all TVB wants is drive viewership, Hong Kongers will watch the pageant regardless of who is in it. But if you can get more viewership from out of Hong Kong, it's a no brainer especially how much money they can make off of subscriptions

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Espresso

I get what you are saying, and that is why they have Miss China International for what you speak of, but I would prefer to see some lines between the two.

My point is, the pagent isn‘t just about a face, although it seems that case as it is a commercialized venue and gateway to many circles. I would rather much have Miss HK represent HK and ABC, CBC, etc represent Miss Chinese Intl. I‘ve seen the shows and some of them can‘t even answer questions in HK Cantonese. So, how can they even represent HK? But I do admire them for stepping out of their comfort zones and trying hard.

No one is saying contestants should be turned away, but to better allocate them in the proper representations and buckets would make more sense to me.

You dont have to be from HK to venture into the circles you speak of. By that, no one is stopping your pretty faces from China, HK, Taiwan, etc etc from being on TVB or whatever. But yes, I don’t want White Ghosts representing HK !!! Raise the standards!?!

8. xaznxryux

fair, but if you're arguing about the culture boundaries, China will be an even bigger boundary for foreign Chinese girls. If you have to guess, mainland China who are watching Miss China, would be more of a conservative audience compared to Hong Kong. Hong Kong in theory is the better stage to be in although Hong Kong in itself is also still getting out of their conservative minds (and it sure isn't going to help if China keeps pressuring and sticking it's feet in Hong Kong politics)

If the argument is "how can they represent Hong Kong when themselves barely know about HK culture" than the argument of them joining Miss China will be even bigger. If you believe the system is rigged (which I kinda lean towards in believing) then it's an even smaller issue, because a big percentage of the winners of the Ms Hong Kongs are generally from Hong Kong. But it's good mixing in a few foreign Chinese girls in there, it allows the audience in Hong Kong to learn of life outside of Hong Kong and allows TVB to expand the brand beyond Hong Kong and increase viewership in those cities as well.

Isolating your business to just one particular demographic group won't do your business good in the long term if you don['t get fresh faces and cultures in, you won't know how to reach the audience or business outside, like to New York or such. If culture is really that important to the general audience, then they can always implement rules to have their contestants be more knowledgeable in Hong Kong life and culture in which for the most part is not hard to do, considering the non Hong Kong girls probably visited or lived in HK at one point in their lives. Hell I'm an ABC, and only been to HK probably 2 or 3 times in my life time (in which I probably won't go back anymore), but I am fluent in Cantonese and can get around HK comfortably and blend into their culture easily. So if that is the case, you can set your rules to be loosely base on the fact you have to know a thing or two about HK, or hold normal conversations in Cantonese, in which isn't hard at all

• Win! Win! x 1
  9. Espresso

Sounds like you are for looser standards and an opening up the borders?

Why are you saying, you won‘t go back HK any more?

You make a good point about the bigger audience, but that is where you can lose substance.

By representing HK, I meant beyond just living there, like actually realizing the social and political environmental change.

We have globalized as a whole, so there will be a lot of cross boundaries.

10. xaznxryux

define "looser standards", I'm all up for opening up borders. You need diversity in the world, business or not, economy or not, culture or not, since when has isolation worked in the past? Sure your argument for losing substance may or may not happen, but what is this "substance". By isolating your business just to suit just your Hong Kong audience doesn't exactly mean the people coming out of it are good products. Most of the foreign Chinese girls like Grace Wong, Fala, Aimee, to name a few (feel free to name a few more) are all educated. Not to mention, I love the fact these girls are not from the normal "colleges" to Hong Kong people. Most people in Hong Kong knows of Harvard or maybe MIT, maybe UCLA, but they think that's all the college we have if not any college but them are lower tiers which is simply not true, especially when it comes to Ivy League schools, in which Hong Kong people only know of Harvard, you'll be lucky if you can have someone there name 2 more for you. This is good in my opinion, because you are broadening the scope by letting people know, hey the US is a HUGE country (which they already know) but we have all these great cities and great schools that you guys never heard of but have LOTS of Chinese people who watches your station.

While I question TVB's management and internal politics, but one thing I will give them credit for is definitely finding talent out of seas and daring to try new things (which may or may not backfire, but it's TVB and they're the single most powerful station in Hong Kong, they can afford losses here and there), but I am loving how they're willing to step out of their comfort zone and buy ideas from other countries' TV stations. Again, purely for business reasons, they aren't going to keep growing if they don't step out and put a foot in other communities not in Hong Kong, or pre-established big Chinese cities like Vancouver, NYC, Singapore or Malaysia

11. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

Who's the girl that looks like Krystal because I don't see any chicks resembling Krystal :kelefe:

12. Espresso

This goes back to the whole meaning of the Pageant. While I understand the entertainment model of it, I do not wish to see that platform as strictly a gateway to the entertainment industry, although it has become that way.

Miss HK from 15-25 years ago carried a totally different persona as compared to the past 10 years or so. But as you have said, the gates have opened and we are as global as ever!! Which is why we have VARIOUS PAGENTS. But, when you are talking abouy Miss HK, I prefer it to be represented by someone from HK with HK lineage. I think thats extremely reasonablr and meaningful.

Why or how can you accept an outsider with the Miss HK crown on a white ghost!!!!

13. Espresso

You still didnt respond as to wh you wouldnt go HK any more? Care to share?

And by looser standards, I am saying there should be certain pre requisites for Miss HK.

14. xaznxryux

I think that's a fair assessment, but what constitutes as HK lineage? can it be 50% or does it HAVE to be 100%? While I agree that it'd be weird seeing a white girl win Ms HK, but if that girl or any girl in that matter can claim and prove at least they have half lineage that came from HK (from father or mother side), I really don't care much if they look more white than Chinese (although not really the same, just wanted to point out Grace looks kinda mixed =P )

Personally, I don't find it a big deal if some girl goes on stage and says she's half Chinese, but can speak fluent Cantonese and embrace the culture, don't you think the general Hong Kong audience will also accept and embrace her? I mean at the end of the day, as public as these things are, the event is mostly made by a private company, and I bet you TVB carefully vetted every contestant to the last one.

As to my trips to HK, been there 3 times, I think that's probably enough for my life time, there's a lot of other places I wish to visit

15. Espresso

No one can really answer that. It's just food for thought discussion. Miss HK by HK, Miss Chinese Int'l, you can be as mixed or however you want, but please separate the 2!

FWIW, Grace Chan is low-key mixed and controversial too. LOL But it makes for a good story and discussion.

Keep HK, HK!

16. xaznxryux

My point is just being, why discriminate, again while I do think it might be awkward seeing a pure white girl winning Ms HK (which I honestly don't see happening), but say a white girl is born and raised in Hong Kong, her social circle is most likely going to be Chinese. Because as of now, I don't recall seeing in the rules that you have to have Chinese blood. Which in my honest opinion is fine, if you are requiring Chinese blood or Hong Kong lineage for that matter.

But let's bump it up a bit, if a girl looks more white than she does Chinese BUT she is born and raised in Hong Kong, would you discriminate against her as well? I personally wouldn't because that would fit your criteria wouldn't it? If one of her parents is directly from Hong Kong, ancestors mostly from Hong Kong, but say one of the parent is there for business and decided to stay long term and got married there, technically speaking, their offspring would be a full Hong Konger. In that case, would you still discriminate a half Chinese girl?

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Espresso

I personally wouldn't, but I can see why, only because HK was under identity pressure; especially when the British was still there. I get your point, but I would still encourage companies, leaders, society, to maintain their cultures. Just because the economy has gone global, doesn't mean there should be a compromise to culture and tradition. I would still prefer a HK person representing HK. I know there are a lot of non chinese people growing up in HK speaking fluent Cantonese too.

At the end of the day, I would prefer seeing Miss HK be from HK and not from any where else, it just doesn't make sense to me. It defeats the purpose.

18. xaznxryux

I think that's fair, while I wholeheartedly agree with you that some sort of culture should still be maintained but at the end of the day, I think we are at age where we need to maintain it but don't let that get in the way of you growing and learning other cultures. In my honest opinion that is what usually causes ignorance. We need to be a society that is more accepting. At the end of the day, I can agree with you that Ms HK contestants should maintain some sort of HK culture, but that is as far as I would go.

I do like the fact of better diversity. You open yourself wider and you bring in more talent, and you do not restrict yourself to just one audience. Because if the rule is simply just making Ms HK be just about HK, then what if one day, a half white girl or maybe even pure white girl who was literally born and raised in Hong Kong, went to school in Hong Kong, speaks Cantonese, circle of friends and social life are all Chinese, competed? Are you going to say no to her? As is there are no rules saying you have to be of pure Chinese lineage to compete. And you really cannot say you have to have Chinese lineage either because now you open the doors to Mainland Chinese girls to compete there, and they aren't Hong Kongers. Then if you have to become even more strict and put in rules like "Chinese descent AND be of Hong Kong residence" then it's back to our original argument of "isolating your audience to just the Hong Kong audience", and your brand will never grow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Its like saying you're Chinese but you're not from the mainland even though are ancestors are from there. But we're trying to not put ourselves in the same boat as the mainlanders haha because of how the government is and so forth. Hopefully that makes sense. My parents are from HK immigrated to the states so I'm ABC. But at the same time I always tell peeps that my family is from HK just so I'm not considered a mainlander haha. Cause everyone knows on here I don't really care for them...

#19 crasianlee, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    • Win! Win! x 2
  20. hoyeah!

hoyeah! Well-Known Member

New hair makeover for all the Miss HK 2017 Contestants .:thumbsup3::luv:Kelly & Nicole!!!:luv::barca smiley:

• Like Like x 1