Memoirs of Geisha - discuss here

Discussion in 'Hollywood Entertainment' started by mochamaru, Dec 27, 2005.

1. mochamaru

mochamaru Member

I watched it this weekend. I did not enjoy it that much. I mean the costumes are very pretty, but the story wasnt too interesting. I know it happens, but the old man are pretty creepy in the movie. Also Gong Li was very pretty but she looked high and drunk most of the time and I cant beleive that she only learned enough English for the movie, it could have fooled me. Did anyone else see it?

2. Wai2x

Wai2x Well-Known Member

I really want to see it, it's not ou in th uk until jan (16th)!!! got a long wait!

3. mashimaro23

mashimaro23 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go watch it soon, get back toyou when i do :)

4. iknow

iknow Active Member

I will be watching this soon too...but I think I may download it instead of wasting $10 at the theatres....

5. Fobstar

Fobstar Guest

i like the movie, never read the book and im not against the chinese/japanese thing. The story was good enough for me to give it thumbs up. It wasn't boring but etertaining to say the least. There was something missing the in story though. It seemed to breeze by very quickly without a heart in the movie. But i liked it overall

6. imisu

imisu Well-Known Member

i saw it several days ago. it was alright, my dad liked it waay more than me. I'm not against the chinese/japanese thing either, but I do kind of wish the movie had been made with japanese actors in the japanese language, that would have made it more realistic for me. I loved the actors though, some of my favorites, and I loved all of the color it used, overall it was just a beautiful movie. What really bothered me was some of the dialogue. And Pumpkin. She just got waay over americanized very quick, it felt awkward watching her on the screen. I dont know.
    But that little girl was sooo adorable!! I loved her! And good ending, yay.

7. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

yeah..the main character is very good looking...i bet the movie got messed from the original story in the book...

8. lionheart

lionheart Well-Known Member

i find this movie disturbing...but the main female actress is hot =]

9. ttt

ttt Member

i watched this last nite, didn't any of u think it was a bit paedophilic? like a old man buying ice for this little girl and fallin for her?!

10. Gambler_Master

Gambler_Master Active Member

currently i'm reading this book in Dutch...
    Kinda funny... but right now i'm on page 46 :p still 518 pages to go :p
    after that memoirs of a geisha will be in stores :p
    then i don't have to go to the cinema :p:p:p

11. nguyetzahra

nguyetzahra Member

it was okay
    i had read the book before and the movie kind of disappointed me
    it didn't have the mood of the story

12. YeeSun

YeeSun Active Member

I really want to watch it but i have to wait untill it's March because then it will be out in Holland.. =(

13. frankie

frankie Guest

i m so happy that is a chinese actress doing the main role of the movie Memories of Geisha, i love you zhang ziyi, kiss to u

14. frankie

frankie Guest

Zhang Ziyi, she is very beautifull :)

15. Tiramisu21

Tiramisu21 Well-Known Member

The scenery and everything was so beautiful.. the kiminos were very nice! But yea, I gotta admit, the movie didn't have that same feel as the book. I would really recommend reading the book for those who watched the movie first. You totally get a different "feel" from it.

One thing that confused me a lot.. was how ALL the actors spoke english. By the time the Americans came along.. they were ALL speaking english. To me, that was super weird.

16. vee

vee Member

hahahahaha -clapclap

17. kar3b3ar

kar3b3ar Member

i didnt really enjoy it at all

18. chinesebwoi06

chinesebwoi06 Active Member

Boring movie.

19. kianu

kianu Well-Known Member

I haven't see the movie but i read the book!
    The book was fantastic...but normaly the book is always more interesting than movie!
    When i see it i'll get back to you!

20. fancynancy

fancynancy Member

never read the book before but heard that it's really different from the movie in that it doesnt have as much of a focus on the historical setting

saw the movie a while ago and thought it was pretty decent. kinda disappointed at the character/relationship development but good nonetheless