Living in Japan?

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by benj3, Dec 10, 2007.

1. benj3

benj3 Member

Im pretty much in love with japan, as far as i know but i feel i am not as informed about its culture etc as i would like to be! :( Ive found this place through a friend of mine and just generally want to know what its like living in japan if anyone lives there the general living prices, house prices and way of life! I off course browse the forums and get pieces here and there!
    Also when it comes down to looking for jobs in japan is it alot harder than it is in a country such as England or is it similar, i will hopefully be moving out to japan with a Graphic Design degree and 2 or 3 years of work based experience when im in my mid 20s am just wondering what its like having a job in this area designing J advertisements etc if any one has had experience much appreciated!
    Im also going to be taking Japanese as a secondary subject at university to get accustomed to the language but would also like to learn or try to teach my self some of the basics like the alphabet and common phrases to give me a slight head start in that area if any one can help me with maybe a good site or some ways to learn at home i would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

2. aserena

aserena Member

I love japan.......I wanted to teach english in japan, b/c i can learn japanese as well as teach!! =D
    but living in japan is soooooooo expensive, unless you get good pay or you're loaded...
    i don't think looking for a job in japan is that difficult, if you can speak japanese well, but if you're not japanese than they're definitely gonna be discriminate against you...you have to be prepare for that

3. bobola

bobola Member

i want to live there

4. jimslick

jimslick Member

i'm living in tokyo at the moment...been here for a few months...
    it's pretty fun...awesome night life...but i dont' speak japanese...so i'm pretty restricted to only going out with my work friends.....
    there are lots of teaching jobs.. but you have to apply through the national program basically. you need certificates + ba usually.. pays about 2-3k USD monthly

5. Japan is like any other county, its all nice when you sit at home watching anime and and fantasizing about Japan but in real life its hard work. just like any other place if it wasn't so, people wouldn't be gulping sake every night after work in an attempt to forget reality for a while >.<

seriously though, its good if you want to go on holiday, but to live there it will be no different than any other place which is not necessarily bad but it AINT gona be like in the animes lolz.

6. Milùchan

Milùchan Member

i want to go to live in japan too!...i've heard that is really expensive...but i think that if you want to work you can easily find a job there...it's just a matter of time

7. pj61852

pj61852 New Member

i've studied japanese for (alarmingly) 8 years including when i lived there and i still go back to visit quite often. I would say the cost of living (say eating and travel) is fairly low but housing and education is really expensive.
    i've also heard that the whole go to japan and teach english is a lot harder and pays a lot less than what people think so if i plan to work in japan, i plan to work in a job i actually want to be doing, rather than just teaching english just because i am capable of speaking english itself.

i think the only way to enjoy yourself if you're lviing there is the same as any other country, you gotta enjoy what you're doing, not just doing any job just to get you into that country. :)

8. t_yuuki

t_yuuki Member

i've always wanted to go to japan. where those anime otakus gathered~
    i can say Japan is the dreamland of anime otakus... some of the items which are sold in Japan are not sold internationally. sadly their currency is pretty high

9. yeah it depends on were you live, the more rural the cheaper, the closer to a major city the more expensive. im a rural type so its all good for me.

Yeah teaching English is not always a nice job though it can be very fun, if your Japanese its not soo bad but if your a gaijin then it may be tough..

10. tomatoman

tomatoman Well-Known Member

other than teaching english, u guys/gals think any other way to work in japan?? other common job for an early 20's degree holder . hehe.. would like to try my luck if all else fails here.

11. jixji

jixji New Member

Why don't you try to get a job in a global company (Morgan Stanley, etc.) that has headquarters at different countries? One of my Japanese friends is doing that to get a job in the USA. Of course, after you get a job in that company, you'll have to apply to transfer to the location of your desire.

12. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye i agree with master_g and also japan is still a very expensive place to live in. i mean u get paid more but its not proportionate to prices and therefore unless u get a well paid job its not actually that great as the cost of living is very high over there and it won't be as gd as what u imagined it to be unless u get a high paid job.

13. mooiced

mooiced Well-Known Member

i have to say...japan is just like any other places i've been. People are polite and obedient but i wouldn't want to live there if given the choice. If you are a foreigner, you will always remain a Geijin... Soo i don't know...i wouldn't want to live there if they can't make you feel you belong there.

14. xprlt

xprlt Well-Known Member

yea youll always be a foreigner there, but thats not per se negative. though, all peopel ive talked to that work there, say its pretty hard. expect long days, full commitment, and little free days. one english teacher i know was fired for showing up late 2 times, and lost his visa immedietly...
    im not sure i could live there, its too hard. but its still my favourie country.

15. Blobbyy

Blobbyy Well-Known Member

going on holiday there is alright i think. for me, i want to go to japan tooo. but i wudnt want to live there, too expensive and i guess its too much. how about becoming a pilot? work for JAL perhaps?

16. onni

onni Well-Known Member

i want to live in japan too. looks like will have to look for a japanese man, much easier this way, hahahah.... japan is a very place. i like iall seasons except SUMMER.

17. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

hmmm i heard its really nice and truly want to live there cause i think everything is a lot better over there compared to you US
    so if i could get a chance to live there i would

18. juzlikeme

juzlikeme Member

Getting a job and earning a living is actually not that tough. I once worked before at my uni friend ramen ya shop. though i have to admit that Japanese is essential, it is worth the fun and the experience to give a shot. Their min pay is about 1500 yen an hour, which is okay considering that it is a part time job

19. darkangel912

darkangel912 Active Member

that amount of pay is consider little in jp.

20. JspecEfini

JspecEfini Well-Known Member

you cant lose your work visa for getting fired in japan, unless you smoke pot or something and get deported.
    lots of ignorant posts here. on average, fresh graduates in japan make a bit less than those in the US. most japanese fresh graduates from college make only around 2k usd AND have to work overtime hours with no overtime pay. if you are in the jet program teaching english, its a much easier job with much less hours and more salary.

everyone thinks japan is so great and people are extremely rich here. the truth is, renting an apartment is more expensive but your pay is on average lower than a comparable job in the US.