Leila Tong Matures Onscreen

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by whoaitselaine, Apr 20, 2006.

1. whoaitselaine

whoaitselaine Well-Known Member

http://Dramasian.com/index.php?name=News&...article&sid=251
    http://asianfanatics.net/forum/
    credits to jayne

[​IMG]

Leila Tong Matures Onscreen

Leila Tong Ning entered the entertainment industry when she was only 8 years old. Leila's real name is Kong Lai Na and she has been in the industry for 17 years. Leila started out by acting in TV series and the moved on to movies, with recent focus on TV series. This year, Leila cut off her trademark long hair to act as a professional lawyer and Adam Cheng Siu Chau's daughter in "Bar Benders."

Leila said, "At first, I was worried about my role in 'Bar Benders.' I never had to speak such long professional dialogues before. But luckily Adam and Louisa So Yuk Wah helped me. As of right now, I have not heard any criticisms of my portrayal, so I am quite happy."

Leila is happy that she had the chance to play a more mature character in "Bar Benders." Leila said, "I feel it's about time that I play more mature characters onscreen. I don't want to limit my roles to playing young girl characters anymore."

Earlier "A Life Made Simple" brought fame and popularity to Roger Kwok Chun On, Jessica Hsuan, and Angela Tong Ying Ying. On the other hand, Leila did not receive such a boost in her career as a result of "Life Made Simple." Leila said, "Actually it was a good opportunity to film the series. Sometimes not everyone will be able to see that the experience itself was valuable. I am not too concerned about money. I only care about how other people see my acting. As to how much money you earn, that's beyond your control. In acting you can continuously improve; you don't always know what accomplishments lie in the future."

"But I do care about money, as I have to pay for my family's expenses. My income right now is okay, at least I don't have to worry about paying for expenses and can focus on acting. A few years ago, I thought my mother was working too hard at her job, so I told her to resign."

"I do not spend money carelessly. I don't like wearing designer brand clothes and never thought about making a fortune. I didn't dream about living in a large house nor driving a luxury car. I am just after a practical way of life. I like to act and am seeking more of a mental gratification rather than a material fulfillment. As long as I enjoy acting, I do not mind sacrificing certain things."

Leila's Love of Dogs

Seeking mental gratification can be illustrated by Leila's story of a homeless dog.

Leila has always loved dogs. Ten years ago, Leila brought food to a homeless dog in Lamma Island on a weekly basis. Leila continued this routine for several years. It wasn't until the time that Leila had to go to China to film that the dog passed away due to illness. When Leila returned back to Hong Kong, she found out that the dog had passed away. Leila wrote a dozen letters to "Siu Yuet" (the dog's name) expressing her sad feelings and placed the letters inside a book. When a colleague borrowed the book, he/she saw the letters and composed a song for Siu Yuet. Leila sang the song, which was distributed on the internet.

Turning Down Music Album Offer

Leila's song attracted the attention of a music company and they offered to sign Leila. But Leila turned down the offer and the chance to have her own music album.

"In the past, I loved to sing. I formed a band with several friends in the past. It was all based on interest and we didn't have high expectations of quality. Right now, I would like to have a better purpose. I may not be suitable for the Hong Kong pop music industry; they really have too many promotional activities, which I am not accustomed to."

Although Leila may sound idealistic, but Leila considers herself practical. "Everyone has their own idealistic goals, but sometimes the environment may not allow you to realize these goals. Earning money is very important, but you need to leave yourself a little room to dream."

"Since I entered the industry at a very early age, I knew the difficulties of working in the industry. You may film for very long hours at a time and despite your tiredness, you still have to smile and show your 'happy face' to the public. That's why I know what my needs are and don't ask for too much. I don't set goals very far into the future. As long as I fulfill my current work projects, that's what my focus is on."

[​IMG]

2. Giniro

Giniro Well-Known Member

Interesting but do she have a bf or not

3. Soler

Soler Member

I like Leila's character in Bar Benders, she really does play a more mature character and it's a good change! i want to see pics of her as a child actress...

4. kinni3

kinni3 Well-Known Member

i think she looks better with short hair .... :) and her character in bar benders is really cute(very mature hehe) :D

5. whoaitselaine

whoaitselaine Well-Known Member

She was really evil in "Life Made Simple". She stole Catherine's (Jessica Hsuan) proposal for the job interview thingie. -.-

6. Rikayla

Rikayla Active Member

Wheee. Good for her! <33

7. Nirvania

Nirvania I'm BRACK!?

her character in TOB is really mature.

8. racy

racy Member

her acting seems overacted a bit