Lee Ka Ding: “TVB Spoiled Kevin Cheng! He Lacks an Actor’s Ethics!”

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Apr 28, 2012.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

kevin-cheng-gloves-come-off.jpg

The dam has let loose, followed by an outpouring of recent public criticism towards TV King, Kevin Cheng (鄭嘉穎). TVB actors, Sin Ho Ying (冼灝英) and Lee Ka Ding (李家鼎), have been most critical towards Kevin’s work attitude on set TVB drama, Gloves Come Off <拳王>. Ding Yeh continued to criticize Kevin as being spoiled by TVB, lacking a professional spirit and an actor’s ethics!

Lee Ka Ding Scolds Kevin Cheng

Sin Ho Ying criticized Kevin Cheng as possessing a poor character and being self-centered. Lee Ka Ding blasted Kevin in acting like a “mute,” lacking respect and an actor’s ethics in a televised interview on Green Room <今日 VIP> with Gregory Lee (李永豪), Ding Yeh said, “You are fighting! The other person is not blocking you, while you yell at him! That conduct is terrible! Do not pretend that you are a big shot; I hate that!” Although Ding Yeh did not explicitly state who he was referring to, it was speculated that he meant Kevin Cheng.

Speaking with Sudden Weekly, Ding Yeh said, “He (Kevin Cheng) is like that. TVB has spoiled him! He never had good relations with other people. He’s self-centered; we are all used to that. He lacks professional spirit, without an actor’s ethics!”

Ding Yeh continued, ”Even if you are dumb, that’s okay; you can learn! But you cannot be lazy while claiming you are too busy! Do not blame that you had no opportunity! Even if you have the opportunity, you do not cherish it!” Asked if Ding Yeh will advise him, Ding Yeh said, “I will not advise people like him! Anyway, ‘It looks like a dragon boat above the water, but people in the ocean can truly see it for what it is!’”

TVB actor, Wong Chak Fung (黃澤鋒) vouched that Ding Yeh did not fabricate any lies. Wong Chak Fung said to Sudden Weekly, “Ding Yeh got right to the point. He is a veteran and will not fabricate such things. He is just pointing it out as it is! During the filming of Gloves Come Off, I worked mostly with Kenny Wong (黃德斌) and Florence Kwok (郭少芸); they did not make me unhappy in any way.”

Asked about his position towards Kevin Cheng, Wong Chak Fung said, “He is hot-blooded. It takes a lot of hard effort to be a boxing student. After we got scolded by the Muay Thai Boxing Association, it’s fine now.”

Wong added that he hoped that Kevin will be considerate towards his more “lowly-ranked” costars. Wong said, “In a TV drama, the male and female lead stars gain the most recognition. The other actors are only in supporting roles, who are in fact helping the leads. I hope that he will be more considerate and respectful towards other people. Ding Yeh acts as the judge and will scold because he cannot stand it. There are ups and downs in life. I hope he will be mindful!”

Kevin Cheng’s Weak Boxing Skills Ridiculed

Kevin-Cheng-Gloves-Come-Off-4.jpg Sin Sifu and Ding Yeh’s frustrations apparently also stemmed from Kevin’s lack of effort in his boxing scenes, which have been heavily cursed by the Muay Thai Boxing Association for their inaccuracies.

Although Kevin’s boxing blows were ridiculed as lacking force, it was known that the 42-year-old was injured on set while filming Gloves Come Off. In May 2011, Kevin posted a photo of a bloody arm injury on his Weibo blog, claiming he was in the hospital for treatment. However, fans did not believe that the injury was real and wondered whether Kevin was playing a prank on them.

Meanwhile, Kevin’s Muay Thai boxing skills continued to come under fire. A TVB insider revealed, “During the filming of Gloves Come Off, he (Kevin Cheng) was always black-faced. A Muay Thai boxer asked him if he knew how to box. With little-knowledge, he pretended that he knew what he was doing. Although he lifted weights, that did not mean that he knew how to box. They are different things! Anyone was a better fighter than him! He did not even know how to block the blows!”

Kevin Cursed Angrily at Boxing Opponent?

Kevin was criticized as being in the worst physical shape among the cast. Rumors surfaced that Kevin was frustrated by the strenuous physical requirements in the drama, even cursing angrily at a boxing trainer during filming!

Allegedly, during a boxing scene for Gloves Come Off, Kevin punched until his fists hurt. Thus, he cursed angrily at his boxing opponent. An insider said, “The trainer was afraid to injure the male lead. He reminded the Muay Thai boxer to wear boxing gloves. After hitting someone, he even cursed angrily! The opponent could not stand him, saying: ‘What, I was already hit by you; now you want to yell at me!’ Raymond Wong (黃浩然) had to be the peace-maker, stepping in to say, ‘He is not [expletive] you! He is only cursing himself!’”

However, Raymond Wong denied to Sudden Weekly that he had acted as peace-maker on the set of Gloves Come Off. He said, “Nothing like this happened!”

“Rubber King” Instead of “Boxing King”

Some netizens also blasted Kevin Cheng’s acting skills in Gloves Come Off, claiming they were stiff and “rubber-like.” One netizen commented, “He (Kevin Cheng) always has a chok face. Every expression is about the same. He is completely overated! I do not think how difficult it can be to act as ‘Law Ba’; he is still miles away from Gallen Lo (羅嘉良) and Wayne Lai’s (黎耀祥) acting!”

Creds: Sudden Weekly/Jstars

2. wal

wal Well-Known Member

well uhhh, it was pretty common knowledge that kevin cheng did not have good acting skills, they're alright, but not great. if it wasn't for being a bit handsome, he wouldn't have made it to what he is today.

it's sad that (it seems?) that he has a bad attitude towards being a professional actor and his fellow actors/trainers/colleagues. if you are a good actor, then you're willing to give EVERYTHING to live up to the role you're given. apparently, this is not the case for kevin, sad.

3. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

^agree...he cant act

But to me, he seems more cocky than self-centered.....

4. walter8299

walter8299 Well-Known Member

i think i would've like the show more if it was either andy lau or louis koo doing the king of boxer role.

5. wal

wal Well-Known Member

andy lau is way too old for such a role now... even in "a boxer's blues" he was old for the role imo, couldn't pack on any muscle. louis koo could possibly do it but he's not with tvb for some time now :(

6. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

This is just another one of those incidents that confirms that Kevin is an ass. In a few other series, he and other actors had issues as well. Never liked him as an actor.

7. brianyu

brianyu Well-Known Member

he acting is fine ... 2 other guys made up a lots of story here ...maybe they asking too much , just tvb series ... nothing real lol ... no one really care about thai boxing ...

8. wal

wal Well-Known Member

you mean YOU don't care about acting and YOU think 2 guys made up a story and YOU don't care about thai boxing (and apparently any realism in "just a tvb series", right? :)

9. brianyu

:biggthumpup: it that what u want to say , then dont quot me in ur stupid post . i didnt say he cant acted . i think he doing a good job in most recent series .

10. wal

wal Well-Known Member

why did you quote me then? i was making clear that what you said was just your opinion, some other people might actually appreciate an actor who can act and an actor who puts work (in this case: training muay thai) into his role, even if it's "just a tvb series", you know :)

11. walter8299

i think the bottom line is, if you get paid to do something, atleast do your job right.......

i think raymond obviously overshadow kevin in this series. it is actually raymond that kept this series exciting. of course i like the female lead too :)

tvb needs to bring back actors like louis koo and gallen lo. also get chilam in more series, and get dayo wong in a series please!
    i am glad they got francis ng to do the airline series atleast, but i hope they can retain chilam in it as well.

12. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

I'm only watching this cuz of Selena, and maybe Raymond Wong

but I agree, you're paid to do your job. There should be some credibility in any serious drama, otherwise its just a comedy, because its not serious. It doesn't matter if an individual do not care about acting or if they can actually "fight" because at the end. I think in this article, Kevin is disrespecting Muay Thai a lot. He's not even trying and hes bitching about training hard? TVB does spoil these so called "Actors" and its disgusting.

This is why I hate Raymond Lam, and Kevin Cheng so much. A lot of hype but no acting skills whatsoever

13. brianyu

because u quot me in ur stupid comment lol

14. brianyu

what else is good other then funny stuff in tvb series ... better watch ong bak headbang2

15. animeiswild

animeiswild Active Member

TVBs pay isn't even that great, in what way is TVB even spoiling their actors/actresses? ="=

16. KT.

KT. New Member

I think Kevin and Kenny Wong should've switched place =)
    From this article it seems like Kevin acts like such a diva, before he even have reached the top or anywhere near the top. Just because Ghetto justice became successful doesn't mean it will for Kevin, bring him down to earth and give really talented actors a chance instead.

17. walter8299

i didn't even like ghetto justice because of law ba (kevin cheng), i watch it because of jazz(?) (the short chubby guy) and sam lee.

i like the actor name ruco as a lawyer way more in the truth with tavia.

i think ruco would have a nicer body than kevin haha

18. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

how fast people change huh? Used to be humble, "biting tooth nerve" struggling actor / singer. Now, just a little fame, and he's already acting like a jerk? He deserves to go down in flames, if that's in fact true.

19. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Michael Tse/Laughing Gor could have played this role easily! When he was hitting the punching bag in Omission that look real as can be.

20. wal

wal Well-Known Member

true, michael tse was really buff when he played laughing gor, i was quite impressed. + he can actually act, unlike kevin. also, who of you think his haircut in gloves come off look like aaron kwok's haircut? xD