Kill the Birds episode - political message

Discussion in 'Rosy Business - 巾幗梟雄' started by ralphrepo, May 21, 2009.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

I love it. TVB sneaked in a subtle dig at Mao.

For those that don't know their history, Chairman Mao, as part of his "Great Leap Forward" orchestrated a "Great Sparrow Campaign" which was exactly like what the Bit Mun character tried to do, ie kill all the birds that ate planted seeds. Needless to say, once millions of sparrows were killed, locusts and other insects populations surged the following year, devastating the crops which triggered the great famine that lasted three years and killed an estimated 30 to 50 million Chinese.

Bravo to TVB for the subtle reminder. -worship

or... you didn't really think that TVB's writers were so creative that they can actually make this stuff up on their own, did you? LOL...

2. moranna

moranna Well-Known Member

You reading way to deep into it, giving tvb well to much credit.

3. ralphrepo

LOL... well, maybe I am at that -lol

4. lawplanet

lawplanet Well-Known Member

i did not know.... thanks for the history

5. KaY_xD

KaY_xD 但願人長久,千里共嬋娟

well.......just a show..........你抄下我 我抄下你, 生理循環

6. xaznxryux

xaznxryux Well-Known Member

no hes right, i read/saw the interview by the director saying that he made many reference back to history, ie the one on youtube said Chai Gaus character was slightly based on "Zhu Yu Zhang" the first emperor of the Ming

7. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

Oh, I really didn't know that. Thanks alot for sharing this history, Ralph. But these Great Sparrows look so alike the common birds that live here at New York.

8. moranna

moranna Well-Known Member

In that case, great job ralphrepo, didn't think tvb had the balls to do such a thing really.

9. ralphrepo

LOL... That's because in New York City (where the pigeon is probably more annoying), sparrows are also rampant.

Ha ha... neither did I. I wonder if Beijing has already sent a "representative" to TVB's executive offices to "discuss" acceptable future plot devices.

Even though Mao had been dead since the 70's, there is still a fervent and vocal number of Mao cult die hards that view him as the father of the Chinese universe and everything that he did as above reproach. Like everyone else, he was just a man; and like any other man, he did do some really stupid stuff. :whistling:

10. Kaitou_Kid

Kaitou_Kid Well-Known Member

this scene was scary. fuzzy dead birds on floor not appetizing

11. vitasoy17

vitasoy17 New Member

interesting

12. tjsye2

tjsye2 Well-Known Member

Very educational!!

13. feymonkey

feymonkey New Member

Nice information,thx!

14. jdm_s2k

jdm_s2k Well-Known Member

wow thank you i didnt know that...but i really like the economic concepts they added into this series too..

15. chanthomas

chanthomas New Member

you're absolutely right

16. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

well tbh its not really that educational ... its common sense ... its part of the food chain ...... if you killed all rabbits for eating lettuce then the foxes would die out then greater animals would die out then only leaving a swarm of insects etc or also like if you killed all dung beetles then their would be more shit and swarms of flies then creating more flies then they get affected from the bacteria from the shit then in the end kill millions ..... i learned all this in year 5 .........

17. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

^ We all know that through living environment (science) but this is something that happened back in the days.

18. wendy13

wendy13 Member

thanks for the info!

19. trankiet

trankiet Member

this series is best show of the year, every body can't stop to watch, it hard to find other one better than

20. martymalo

martymalo New Member

i just finish watch this drama, the best one i saw so far this yr