Khalil Fong Squat Interview

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by shinobi, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Khalil Fong is one of the hottest singer-songwriters that the far east has ever produced. Fong tells Squat's Weng Yu that the sound on his sophomore album This Love is much closer to the sound in his head.

Weng: Not much is known about your background. Where are you from?
    Khalil: I was born in Hawaii and lived in Shanghai and Guangzhou. I have been living in Hong Kong for the last ten years.

W: How did you end up making music in Hong Kong?
    K: I had been writing music and approached a few record labels. It took about five years to finalize a contract with Warner Music but it was worth the wait.

W: Do you speak Cantonese?
    K: Yes…along with English and Mandarin.

W: What instruments do you play?
    K: Since my father is a drummer, there was always music playing around the house and so I picked up the drums at an early age. When I was five my parents took me to see the movie La Bamba—it was the defining moment that fueled my passion for singing.

W: When did you first start getting into music?
    K: Since I was in the womb?

W: Who were your favourite artists, and how did they influence your own musical style?
    K: Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Steely Dan…I could fill a page. Their music is always filled with different elements and doesn't have limitations. Most importantly, it also speaks to the heart.

W: You're based in Hong Kong. Why do you record in Mandarin and not Cantonese?
    K: Mandarin is my second language, Cantonese is my third. The former is also more poetic and elegant.

W: You didn't exactly burst on to the scene, but your reputation and fame has grown considerably over the past year. What's been the best thing about being a famous artist?
    K: Being able to do live shows. There's always a surprise around the corner and it's always cool to improvise.

W: Are there any drawbacks to being a celebrity?
    K: There isn't much personal time. And since I write and produce my own music, it's even more time consuming. Other artists can afford to take some time off whereas I have to keep the studio running behind the scenes.

W: In Hong Kong there's been a recent shift in tastes away from the commercial artists and towards singer-songwriters such as yourself, Justin Lo and Ivana Wong. Why do you think this has happened?
    K: The record companies have been reusing the same formula for the last ten years, which has led to a stagnant music industry. The new generation of audiences are getting sophisticated, smarter and more selective of what they listen to. It's great that a new trend is in the making even if it is a gradual process.

W: Taiwan has now become the trendsetter in Chinese music, churning out a constant steam of talented artists. How do you think the Taiwan music industry compares to the one in Hong Kong?
    K: To me they are similar… Taiwan has high production standards but I think the music has become quite formulaic in recent years. Hong Kong has Canto Pop. I wouldn't say these are bad…just uninteresting. If the labels started to support and bring in different genres it would be much more diverse and I believe we would develop new market niches.

W: Traditionally, Chinese artists haven't been able to produce quality r'n'b, apart from ballads. Why do you think this is?
    K: If they were only exposed to r'n'b later in life then the chances are they wouldn't have that inner groove and understanding of such harmonies which are critical for authentic or quality r'n'b.

W: Congratulations on This Love. What were your aims for this album, and how would you compare it to Soulboy?
    K: Thanks! I hope people keep buying it… I put a lot of effort and heart into this album. If it doesn't sell then maybe you won't be hearing from me anytime soon. Soulboy was an educational experience which I am personally not satisfied with. This Love is a big leap and is much closer to the sound in my head.

W: Out of all the songs you've written, which is your favourite?
    K: I don't have favorites. There's a song for every mood.

W: Will you ever do a song in English?
    K: In This Love I recorded a cover of Chicago's "If You Leave Me Now". Check it out sometime.

W: Many singers in Hong Kong often go down the acting route as well. Will we be seeing you on the screen sometime soon?
    K: It would be fun but I have no idea if I'll get that chance. I'm no Brad Pitt or George Clooney.

W: What's the one thing you can't live without?
    K: Food, Water, and music.

credits: batgwa/squat.

#1 shinobi, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2008
  2. pretty good interview for those new to khalil :)

3. pityfulblue

pityfulblue Member

o0ooo i love khalil's music he's totally underrated but he's totally packed with talent i don't know why hk people arent all going crazy over him xDD his latest album wonderland was such a blast and totally appreciate his own stand of mandarin songs....one thing he should really eat more too skinny

4. bbes

bbes Incredible

lol at the skinny comment.

5. robocup

robocup Active Member

I think he is very good and brings something different to the chinese scene