JJ Lin's Violent Music Video Stirs Controversy

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Jul 13, 2007.

1. [​IMG]
    Friday July 13, 2007 Singapore

He was the sunshine boy when he made his debut four years ago.

Now, visualize clean-cut JJ Lin as a psychotic murderer who befriends, drugs, then cuts up his victim's body

Hard to imagine?

The local singer did just that in his music video (MV) for the track, The Killa, from his new album West Side.

The music video, which is about five minutes long and has both censored and uncensored versions, has raised more than a few eyebrows.

First, three Taiwanese television stations banned it from being aired because they deemed its content unsuitable for broadcast.

But some fans still caught it when a 21-minute extended and uncensored version was shown at a private screening in Taiwan last Friday.

The screening was a closed-door event for some 300 fans and invited guests aged above 18.

This is not the first time JJ has flirted with controversy and raised questions over whether he is deliberately trying to grab attention.

But what's clear is that he has certainly upped the ante.

The New Paper tried to speak to the star, but was told by his record label Ocean Butterflies that he was busy with his album promotions in Taiwan.

But in a media release, JJ said the extended version, or what he calls an 'experimental movie', was created because they had leftover film and had wanted to present a complete story.

Ocean Butterflies told The New Paper it is considering a similar private screening here for fans.

In the meantime, it is in the midst of obtaining censorship clearance for the music video.

A spokesman from the Media Development Authority confirmed it received the music video on Tuesday and that the request is being processed.

The music video costs NT$5 million ($250,000) to make.

It tells the story of a novelist writing a story of a man (both played by JJ) in love with an exchange student from Brazil (played by Latin beauty Liz, of Paraguayan and Taiwanese descent). His love turns into an obsession and he eventually kidnaps, kills and cuts her up.

He then frames her body parts on his wall - including her severed head - turning it into one giant 'portrait'.

In the full-blown version of the music video, Liz's topless body is visible in two scenes.

There's another scene of her bloodied body in a tub, as the protagonist cuts her up and removes her heart.

There's also a scene of the protagonist placing Liz's dismembered head onto the portrait.

The provocative scenes proved disturbing for some fans of JJ, who's known for his clean-cut looks and has hordes of young fans from Singapore to Taiwan.

Ocean Butterflies' music director Billy Koh said that JJ wrote the song The Killa after watching a slasher flick.

The music video was conceptualized by JJ and Taiwanese MV director Bill Jia and another Ocean Butterflies staff.

Both the song and the video were meant to portray the internal struggle of the good and evil sides of man, and the need to face up to one's dark side in order to appreciate the good.

'It's considered a big breakthrough for JJ from his past good-boy image. It's his fifth album, so people can accept that he's just playing a role,' said Mr Koh.
    The music fraternity also appeared to be open-minded about JJ's controversial move.

Mr. Andy Kwan, marketing director with entertainment company Music & Movement, says JJ's video is not shocking as there are MVs from the West that contain more gore and violence.

'The MTV generation is much smarter now and is not so easily influenced by what they see.'

A music industry personnel, who did not want to be named, said the music video sits well with the song.

She said: 'The song is about a killer, so it would be strange if there was no killer in the MV.

The industry people we spoke to doubt the controversy will hurt JJ's image or dent his career.

'Every artiste has to progress. He can't always stay a boy-next-door,' said Mr. Kwan.

JJ's fans who were shocked with the gory scenes say that they are supportive nonetheless.

'He likes to break through, so I don't think he's doing this to hit the headlines,' said Ms Quek

[youtube]UmMkoK0tCf0&mode=related&search=[/youtube]

credits: asianbite.

#1 shinobi, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2007
  2. weedpeach

weedpeach Well-Known Member

the music vid part is kinda creeping me out, since i dont like horror, but i dont think there's anything wrong with jj lin releasing a horror-ish album with violence. just because he's always produced albums with no violence before doesnt mean he cant do it now.
    i still support him, but i will definitely NOT watch that music vid. horror gives me nightmares.
    thanks for the news =D

3. xxloserrolliexx

xxloserrolliexx Well-Known Member

I watched the whole thing...
    it was scary, but everything was so detailed...
    but i would never have thought that jj would make a mv like this...
    ....scared...

4. honkiebonkie

honkiebonkie Well-Known Member

its kinda a worthless song,
    and really scary too!
    i think he is trying to get attention..

5. philostrate

philostrate Well-Known Member

it actually think it's cool...not because that i'm a horror fan but it think it's really special...his image as the psycho killer is so real and he's so absorbed into the role...at least this mv is n times better than hong kong mvs with only a male and female looking and hugging each other....lame...

6. Arctic_fire

Arctic_fire Well-Known Member

he isnt a local singer... he's from singapore.

7. ProjectD

ProjectD VIP yay :]

lol thats a pretty wack video he made never knew he was like that

8. kianu

kianu Well-Known Member

wow...that was so cool...JJ can really act!! He can Really Frightened ya!!!

9. yayitzmonica

yayitzmonica Well-Known Member

i just played the song once and didnt look at the video AT ALL. After it finished, i was like, 'oh, this song is ok, the video can't be THAT bad...' and thus, i clicked the link...BAD CHOICE! It's not so much on the scary part really, it's sort of more on the...freaky side. lol -lol never thought JJ would make an MV like this. when i first saw him, he gave me an impression of a girl xD

10. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

I thought the video was pretty good. It was directed pretty well.

11. zero_c

zero_c Well-Known Member

It was an okay MV, better than a lot of other MV out there.

12. The Lone Moon

The Lone Moon Well-Known Member

Omigawd, really? I was really curious, but after reading all of you guys' posts, I'm scared to watch! O.O;;!!

13. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

lol video wasn't violent at all, too overrated in the "violence" department, the song was good now i understand why that part of the song has the eerie chinese vibe but yea, nothing scary...

14. ks.ayo

ks.ayo Well-Known Member

lol what's wrong with it o_O the media blows everything up lol -sweat

but damn his album is brilliant, best one so far. love it! -inlove

15. shade

shade Well-Known Member

that's damn brilliant!!

OMG OMG OMG!!!
    that's excellent directing skills. Anybody know who the director was?
    Quality wasn't that great, but the filters used made it look pretty authentic, especially the way the 2nd half of the clip clashes with the 1st half (red vs white)

Haha, love JJ's new album. Not that the whole 'saw' cut and slash thing is good, nor is it original, but I give him credit for being so bold.

MV definitely stood out, as it was designed to. And I don't think I'll be forgetting this song anytime soon when I listen to it.

16. xiaojia

xiaojia Well-Known Member

hmm.. the mv was ok.. but the song wasnt scary at all.. no killer feel.. maybe it wasnt meant to.. but kinda contradicting since they decided to make the mv this way..

hee.. im gg to listen to the rest of his songs in the new album.. since i see so many good comments

17. x3ternaltearsx

lol i liek the song nd plus the video didn't realli ruin his image o.o I MEAN THERE PPL OUT THERE thats like that lol i still support him good album =]

18. applex3

applex3 Well-Known Member

I like the song..The picture looks scary..with the girls head and the blood..Never think he would make that mv since his mv's that i have seen are cute.

19. jljljljl

jljljljl Member

i totally love this song. the mv isn't scary or creepy at all.. it's alright and i love his new album...

20. ghex

ghex Member

horror movies on mv, not a very enjoyable mix, bad for image...