Jill Wei Refuses to Become a HK Mainstream Artist Despite Small Market

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, May 17, 2006.

1. [​IMG]
    Tuesday May 16, 2006 Hong Kong

Twin sisters, Janice and Jill Wei entered the music industry one after the other. The media have repeatedly compared the two to make headlines with recent reports stating that Jill's debut album has only sold 3000 copies. Despite being supported by her company and Janice, Jill will have to face the ‘only one can stay’ entertainment circle saying.

In the previous year, Janice had achieved great results by being the best selling artist of her company. It is known that Janice’s debut album sold well over 10 000 copies when released in November last year. Her latest album, ‘Day & Night’ has also reached the 10 000 benchmark. Seeing the great achievements of Janice, critics predicted that Jill would at least sell 10 000 copies if not 20 000. But after the album was release, what was said to be an anticipated album, sold merely 3000 copies.

Bad sales may be due to the fact that Jill’s music genre is hip hop which is classified as an ‘alternative’ genre in Hong Kong and is accepted only by a small amount of Cantonese music listeners whereas Janice sings HK music industry's mainstream genre, karaoke.

Via a phone interview, an executive of Jill’s company expressed, “We can announce that Jill has sold approximately 8000 albums not 3000. This is a good achievement for a newcomer and I am very happy with the figures. I also understand that the media will like to compare Janice and Jill but besides looking and sounding similar, they are totally unique people. Regarding selling targets, Jill refuses to change her genre and conform into a Hong Kong mainstream artist. I hope that Hong Kong music lovers will be able to accept and support Jill’s music.”

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/060515/10/1nuq0.html
    http://asianfanatics.net/forum/

2. PhY pHy

PhY pHy Well-Known Member

Awe...i love Jill..i love her music too..i love Janices too
    i think they both have a unique style...

3. kinni3

kinni3 Well-Known Member

i duno i still like janice better then jill

4. luvgill

luvgill Active Member

welll... hope Jill get good result in music aso... juz like janice or better

5. Giniro

Giniro Well-Known Member

this is what happen when sisters join the same industry as individual rather than group people just like to compare.

6. joycesays

joycesays Well-Known Member

i think jill isnt bad when she sings canto lyrics but her eng lyrics are pretty dumb.

7. ahhamah

ahhamah Well-Known Member

Jill's songs just have horrible lyrics!

8. snooze

snooze Well-Known Member

its really unfair how the media does that...

9. yup agreed... but if she works on that and have it come naturally then she'll be a helluva lot better. I def. like her style better than her sis.

10. KK-chan

KK-chan Active Member

yeah..and she'd barely have any competition in HK..

haha..if she only got better quality songs and lyrics...as well as collaboratos..i'm sure they can start a bigger market there..

janice sings pop ..so of course it's popular...

but that wasn't a very good debut album for jill tho..

11. bingo

bingo Member

aw i quite like jill's albums... maybe canto listeners aren't used to this new style of music xD hahaha but i guess the lyrics are dodgy~ but the music is still gooooood =P

12. ahhamah

ahhamah Well-Known Member

her lyrics just plain sucks. The way i see it the only reason why people know her name is because of Janice.

13. lynxd

lynxd Well-Known Member

Althought I'm more for the "mainstream" type of music, I think Jill should stick with her genre. Like the whole thing about ‘only one can stay’.. both can stay because they're not even targetting the same audiences or audiences with both interests.. like me! I wouldn't compare the two if their music aren't even the same..

14. teriyakipk

teriyakipk Member

Jill's album was a bit x_x" for me:.:. except the song "get out ^^" ... But Janice juz <3 <3 <3 her music!!~ my love