Jessica Hsuan May Not Attend TVB Anniversary Awards

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Jan 17, 2018.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

jessica-hsuan-2017.jpg
    After her landslide Best Actress win at the 2017 TVB Star Awards Malaysia, people were betting that Jessica Hsuan (宣萱), who won the award for portraying “Mall Jeh” in the TVB drama My Unfair Lady <不懂撒嬌的女人>, would also win TV Queen at this weekend’s TVB Anniversary Awards. Jessica said she does not expect to win.

“My win in Malaysia has definitely shook my confidence,” said the 47-year-old actress. “I don’t expect to win this time.” Jessica added that she hasn’t even decided if she would attend the awards, but she already has already has an outfit prepared.

Asking if she has already casted in her TV King and Queen votes, Jessica said she voted for Natalie Tong (唐詠詩), her co-star in My Unfair Lady. “She’s matured so much.” What about TV King? “Kenneth Ma! He has a pretty big chance [to win].” What if you won? “It’ll be satisfying, but I rather win it for my role in Line Walker: The Prelude <使徒行者>.”

In regard to the rumors that Jessica’s asking price went up three times after her Malaysia win, Jessica clarified, “That’s a bit too exaggerated! But it’s true that I’ve been offered more jobs. I am a free agent and I used to manage my own jobs, and things would get awkward whenever we started to negotiate about price. Now that I have a manager, everything’s been much more relaxing for me.”

She stressed that her decision to pursue acting was never for money, but for her own interest. She never thought she had to prove anything or desired to reach the top, but she did recall an experience in 2015 that inspired her to be more ambitious. “He told me I was getting old and I needed to change careers. I really want to thank him now, because he reminded me of why I’m doing this. My immediate reaction to his comment was that I didn’t agree—I felt that with different age comes different roles, but his words have now become my driving force.”

When Jessica first stepped on stage to receive her Best Actress honor at Malaysia’s TVB Star Awards, she was shaking with happiness. “It was a time for me to express my feelings. This award encourages me, reminds me that I came into the industry because I love acting, and not for the money.”

Creds: Oncc