Ignorant Atheists?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by khaotic, Jun 20, 2011.

1. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

People always complain about how people ignorantly follow a certain religion, and how they seem to push their beliefs onto others. Ironically enough the same people who do this (atheists) seem to be the most common offender.

Among my Christian/Muslim/Buddhist/etc friends, none really push their beliefs onto me nor do they question what I believe in. On the other hand I've seen the atheists insulting other people's beliefs like they are the only ones who know how the universe works.

Thoughts?

2. KT

KT H E L L O K T ♥

Don't preach to me and I'll respect your beliefs. I hate it when people tell me I'm wrong and that I need to be saved LOL. I respect others' beliefs as long as they don't bother me about it or attack me because I don't believe the same things as them.

3. Hmm. That's a pretty interesting observation. Vulgarism by Atheists could be stemmed from numerous factors in my opinion:

1) Closed-mindedness: Perhaps due to the education we receive today, some Atheists may believe that if there is no scientific explanation for something, then it's religious concepts are ill-conceived notions. And the only way for them to express that belief is through vulgarism.
    2) Provocation: Like in KT's case, if an Atheist is provoked, then it's only natural to retaliate in a vulgar manner.

But in TT's scenario, I think it's simply a case of closed-mindedness. Scientific discoveries have given us a unique and more in-depth understanding of how certain stuff in the universe functions. However, this also has an inadvertent effect; it closes the mind of the individual, narrowing it to only believe facts that have been proven by science. It's like a double-edged sword.

Personally, I'm still a pretty closed-minded individual. I argue (sometimes vulgarly) about topics just to prove a point. But I understand now that my need to argue in a vulgar fashion stems from my closed-mindedness.

Now I'm not advocating for the group of people who go "you need to be saved", because that in of itself is closed-mindedness. I guess this is what Buddhist teachings meant when they say "Keep your mind open". An open-mind doesn't mean you need to change your beliefs. In fact, you can believe in whatever you want, however keeping an open-mind would allow one to understand the perspective of the other, and thus not get angry, and resort to profanity.

This is something I direly need to work on.

/end moment of clarity

4. Please, define ignorance.

5. zack55555

zack55555 Well-Known Member

*chuckle*

Are you for real?

Many (not all, but MANY) of the Chinese-Christians I know tend to preach their religion to everyone they see. Some didn't do it intentionally but because their faith is so strong, it does come across like they are trying to spread their belief to others 99.99% of the time, but there will always be a few who push it real hard. It makes non-believers really uncomfortable. It's really impossible not to encounter one of these people unless you have very few friends or you're one of them.

Most Buddhists I know, don't really give a damn because most of them don't really have any clue what buddhism really is... however, I did come across some Taoism/Buddhism nutcases who have asked me to join their cult-like gatherings, scary shit.

6. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

People do what people do, some get drunk on alcohol, some take recreational drugs, some sleep with lots of women unmarried and without commitment, some murder, some lie, some steal some [enter whatever], some share their faith (whatever that may be).

For a Christian it is a duty, i cant say "fortunately for you", so ill say this... as it happens, most ''professing'' Christians don't share or speak of their supposed faith, usually due to ignorance (of what they are told to do in Scripture) or shame and embarrassment, in this this day and age, unless you really know what you believe and why you believe it, people can make you out to be stupid and many people place to much emphasis on what others think of them.

Count yourself lucky that only 3% (according to survey) of Christians share their faith, but considering only 3% causes so much discomfort in society then imagine how it would be if a massive figure like 50% obeyed what Jesus told them to do concerning sharing their faith.

7. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

jesus suck, buddah suck, moses suck

8. Hairbear

Hairbear Well-Known Member

you suck. :trollface2:

anyways, people believe what they want to believe. for some it may be so they can give themselves a reason to live, or why they live.

9. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

hairy palms suck :trollface2: u only believe in yo hands!

10. Jeff

Jeff 神之馬壯

I worship myself.

11. Hairbear

Hairbear Well-Known Member

damn. already known as hairy palms. LOL.

12. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

I'M an atheists, and I'M ignorant...

13. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

I believe in higher power. I don't believe preachers / monks / priests or any human beings that preach God's words and doing God's work. Am I an atheist?

Don't preach to me; let me be and I'll let you be ... don't try to convert me and I promise I won't f*** you up.

14. Xib

Xib Well-Known Member

Provocation is the #1 fuel for an Atheists hate. This one time my aunt who is a WANABEliever who goes to church to basicly socialize tried to preach to me. She kept nagging me to the point where I called his kids over from the other room to tell them santa is fake and the reason they didn't get that Wii was because my uncle is a cheapskate.

The kids cried for a whole afternoon and got a their Wii the next week.

True story.

15. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

WANABEliever , ohh im gona use that.

Yah church-ianty is a horrible thing.

Good job telling the kids about Santa though, i wont let my kids believe in any of that stuff, if they get something they know who its from, imo you should have went to work on them and told them the tooth fairy was their dad in a tutu :trollface2:

16. kenshi

kenshi Well-Known Member

Personally I think Christianity and Catholics are somewhat brainwashed, especially if Asians are convinced that a Jewish prophecy is also their own.

However, that does not mean religion is bad, Asians have so much other belief systems to choose from that is their own.
    The problem with non-Asian foreign religions is that they wipe out cultural identity (unless adapted).

There are many people who need religion otherwise they become lost or become unstable in fulfilling their purpose in life.
    So for this reason, I think Atheist have no right to traumatize religious people, they do not understand it's importance on people's lives.
    Who cares if their God is true or not, as long as it helps them.

Every Culture has their belief systems and there is no such such thing as one real god or prophet.
    Most religious wars are started simply because one religion thinks their god is the real one or supreme god and then they try to impose it on to others or start preaching it to others.

Atheist are just as guilty in destroying religions, they should show some respect if these religions do not harm anyone.

17. [N]

[N] RATED [ ]

lol lazy people who are agnostic throw yo hands up! rofl.

18. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

That is where you're mistaken. I'm not sure if you have read the bible or aware of historic events. But it sounds like you're one of those people who like to pretend terrible things did not happen in the name of religion. Not impressed!

19. Agree with Loner, I think of religion as an escapism in human. All religions are created by human and that's an undeniable fact. Initially, religion seems to share no harm to anyone or anything. But evidence in history doesn't agree. We see religious conflicts erupt time after time. If anyone really studied religion, without bias, I am sure that person will find many flaws and contradictions. As a starter, I recommend any theists watch Religulous by Bill Maher, it's a good documentary about all of these stuffs.

To be honest, isn't it already amazing that "our bodies' atoms are traceable to supernova stars that scattered their chemical enrichment across the cosmos, spawning the birth of star systems that contain planets, and at least one of them containing life." ? Isn't this earth, universe not beautiful or perfect enough that we need to litter it with man-made imaginations?

That's my two cents.

20. levitage

levitage Well-Known Member

people can believe in any religion that they want as long as they do not try to propagate others to follow their beliefs or sway from the real meaning of their religion which manifest itself to inspired hatred against people who do not belong in the same religion