How to Make Calves Thinner?

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by shy, May 15, 2006.

1. shy

shy Well-Known Member

I used to be a sprinter from middle school to high school. Prior to that, I was a hardcore gymnast. So needless to say, I've built up quite some bulk on my calves and thighs. But recently, because I just sit in front of the computer and or go to school/work most of the day, I've realized that my legs are getting thicker. I do get out for a light run 3x a week, but I'm worried that my legs will just get bulkier. How do you make them thinner? Particularly the calf part? Thanks.

2. edchyau

edchyau Member

It depends on how you run. I suggest that you run some long distance, 3-4 miles, for you workout. Long distance running will shrink the size of your muscles without decreasing strength. What happens is that your muscles reduce its volumetric size to increase metabolism. This is why long distant runners are skinny even though they pack a lot of muscle.

3. shy

shy Well-Known Member

I run 3x a week, 3.5 miles each time (30 minutes). I can't do it every day because I don't have the time to get out to run 30 minutes and then stretch for another 30 minutes.

Okay, so I'm already doing what you've recommend... I guess I'm a lost cause?

4. Akademik

Akademik Well-Known Member

male or female?
    You could genetically large calves. Otherwise... Lowering your overall body fat will help you "shrink" your calves.

CArdio 2-3 times a week. some light weight training depending on your goals and some tweaking of your diet will help..
    Whole grain foods, and fiberous veggies w/ lean meats/protiens
    eg. Whole wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal, sweet potatoes
    broccoli, cabbage, spinnach, romane lettuce
    chicken breast, tuna, beans

5. thereset19

thereset19 Member

recreational running. nothing too extreme

6. shar3

shar3 Member

ooo neat

7. aussiekid

aussiekid Well-Known Member

she's rite.. continue exercising.. running but NO EXTREME.. cut down on the intensity.. to maintain the muscles strength and shape etc.. then overtime.. it'll get bac kto shape.. no worries yea

8. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Well I have big calves from sports too (soccer).
    And I still do, although I've stopped playing it for a long time and changed diets.
    I think, like Akademik said, you just need to lose overall body fat. But then again, when you lose weight/fat, it goes from head to toe.
    So losing weight/fat in the lower half of the body may take some time.

9. artofwar

artofwar Well-Known Member

the calve contains two major muscles the gastronemius (power and speed) and the soleus (endurance), the gastronemius is the outer muscle and soleus is the deeper muscle. to get your calves thinner without losing strength, you need to reduce your work load on the gastronemius, try yoga

10. DaProdigy_718

DaProdigy_718 Well-Known Member

losing weight and fat produces stretch marks. that sucks

11. dragopyre

dragopyre Well-Known Member

try yoga it has a elongating effect in muscles

12. Hsienling

Hsienling Well-Known Member

i think running wouldn't help much.. probably need to try other cardio such as skiing machine / stairmaster... it works!

13. HUNNEE

HUNNEE Well-Known Member

I suffer from the same issue ;[

14. nora_a

nora_a Member

if your gastronemius is toned and defined, the girth doesn't matter - its sexy if its "larger than you like it to be" and toned/defined

its pretty hard to lose size in that area if you've got it already - especially if you've already defined it

15. sannyc

sannyc Member

u nid to continue ur excercise. b'cos u now haf muscles n if u dun mantain it, it will b'come fats.

16. lam2828

lam2828 Member

when I went to try on ski boots this lady told me women has larger claves than men. I have thick calves too which sux because I can't wear nice knee length boots!

17. e5liu

e5liu Member

stretch marks suck

18. rayee

rayee Member

uhmmm no suggestions really

19. tallgirl888

tallgirl888 Well-Known Member

No real way of making muscles smaller...I have the same problem (female), hard to buy skinny boots!

20. mit20

mit20 Member

i suggest running up flights of stairs