How do we protect our valuble data from disaster !

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by louis87, Oct 31, 2012.

1. louis87

louis87 Well-Known Member

I have come across on looking at the Instant backup offer by Exabytes.

Not sure how it works as normally I will only backup my data on the external HDD and not sure if backup to the so called backup to the Cloud would it be secure?

2. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Speaking from my opinion and not someone who knows much about this area.

Cloud is 'secure' but you shouldn't rely too much on technology because you will never know when it will fail you, best way for sure is to backup a backup.
    Personally, I do not like the idea of storing my data long term (especially huge data) onto the cloud. The only files I store on clouds are small photos to share with family/friend and other word/excel/powerpoint documents (Dropbox) for personal access.

Basic info about cloud storage, not a very reliable source...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_storage

3. louis87

louis87 Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin, Great to hear from you and I personally agree with you and having a offline backup would be much reliable just that sometimes not able to access to that particular file or document if we forget to bring that particular storage and for online backup can freely access it everywhere.

4. spider-man

spider-man Well-Known Member

I know what you mean by disasters. Like if your house was on fire...
    I save all my school work, music in my e-mail account. (attach and send it to myself)
    For photos and videos, I save it in my external hard drive and I have copies of it in every computer at home.
    I try not to go all fancy by using dropbox or cloud.

5. Aznmask

Aznmask Well-Known Member

The best backup is to have multi-backup.

I dont know how big is your valuable date.

But you can backup in USB (more portable)
    Blu-Ray (25GB enough space),
    External Hard drive (not the safety but the most convenience)

dropbox.com you can save files in there. Or email to yourself on your gmail account.

6. spech

spech Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Aznmask. To me, cloud is useful mainly for convenience, but not as a backup. You have no idea what can happen to those servers (unless, of course you back up to multiple clouds). A physical hard drive can be secure, if you keep it in a safety deposit box, etc.

7. Bulla

Bulla Well-Known Member

Not sure if true backup is possible, there is always a possibility of losing your data, even on the device backing up your data.

IMO you just have to make multiple backups, make sure its not in the same location and have decent data recovery software for emergencies. also I guess SSD is more secure than traditional HDD but its costs a whole lot more.

IMO movies and music etc are not worth the effort and it just requires to much storage.