[Health] Any Running Tips?

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by mystery, Apr 13, 2006.

1. mystery

mystery Well-Known Member

I am in desperate need of some running tips, such as breathing techniques, running techniques and so on. I have to run a 2 mile course non-stop for my P.E. requirement. So far I have done 2 miles in 18:00 min. :( I know, that is really bad, and I didn't even do it non-stop. That's why I really need some good tips from you guys. Thanks in advance!

2. shy

shy Well-Known Member

What kind of time are you looking to pull?

With long distance running, it's all mental. Once you can keep running for 15 minutes, anything more than that is just dependent on your brain pushing you and not your legs.

Breathing techniques - you should breathe as much as you can with your nose. I know that after you run for a while, it's inevitable that you gasp for air with your mouth, but try to breathe in through your nose, and if need be, out through your mouth.

Running form - to be most efficient, you should lean a bit forward, so that you're more aerodynamic. Also, don't flail your arms all over the place as it makes you less efficient and makes you work more to travel the same distance. Your hands should be in the form like you are holding 2 straws (one on each hand). Gently tap your hips each time your hands go up and down.

To be able to run continuously for 2 miles, you should never stop. Even when you feel like you can't run anymore, you should never stop as it disrupts the body movement that you're getting used to. You should slow down even to a pace that's slower than walking, but still, keep the running form. Eventually, if you run at least 2 miles a day, you will see yourself get better.

If you want to post better times, you should probably get a partner to run with. That way, you will have somebody push you when you don't want to run anymore.

You should do a 15 minute warm up before you start running the 2 miles and make sure you stretch every muscle in your body.

Try to walk an extra lap or so after the running..it'll be a good cool down routine.

3. shadow Thi3f

shadow Thi3f Well-Known Member

Ive been running for years as a way to stay healthy. A good tip is to keep good posture while you run, keep your back straight and lean forward when you are building speed. In terms of breathing, pace yourself and dont breathe too hard. leave the sprinting for the last lap. For the first couple of laps you just want to pace yourself, watch your breathing and build momentum. Most people tend to sprint early on in the lap and they end up burning out before they finish. also watch your footwork. Dont lift your feet too high off the ground. Dont leap and jump. Thats why its called running. Dont forget to move your arms and keep them close to the side of your body with your elbows bent. As long as you keep good posture and pace yourself you will do fine. Good luck.

4. renegade_cash

renegade_cash Well-Known Member

if theres a time limit go full out to begin with... that way you can still force yourself not to stop and finish strong. You'll be encouraged by the fact that you covered so much distance already, you'll wanna finish off the race. And run with a buddy, not a good buddy either. Run with someone you dont really know and you want to finish relatively close to if not beat. Its easier to take the lead too... competition is the best motivation

5. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

You should do interval training. Work on sprinting/running fast for about 1-2 minutes, then slow it down to a jogging pace for about 1 minute. THen, go back to fast/high/intense pace running for another 1-2 minutes, and then back to jogging pace, etc.

THis helps build endurance, I think.

Besides, 18 minutes isn't bad for 2 miles.. I think that's average, so you're on par...

6. zihe

zihe Well-Known Member

these are great tips. I even tried them and theirrrrr greattttttttt

7. donkeyhit

donkeyhit Well-Known Member

my comment would be that:
    Pace you speed well... once you get your momentum you can run for miles

8. pratice makes perfect u can build apon your endurance. make sure u have the right shoes thats important.

9. wongv78

wongv78 Well-Known Member

subscribe runners' world magazine

10. zihe

zihe Well-Known Member

I have come to find out the best thing is concentration and breathing out of your nose. I have a breathing method, exhale twice, inhale once.

11. khoallister

khoallister Member

wow. i didn't know running could be so complicated. i just move my legs... i think i'm gonna start up running in the summer. thanks for the tips.