Have you ever been mistaken as Japanese instead of Chinese?

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by joceyz, Jan 20, 2007.

1. joceyz

joceyz Member

I just don't get it... Why would people assume things like this?

2. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

I find that most non-asian people cant really distinguish between us oriental asians, whereas most asians can

So if they see you, your either chinese or japanese (most like jap since they use to all the brands and shizzle)

3. jell

jell Active Member

People have thought that i'm japanese before!!! ergh. and some thought i was korean... and someone even once said that I looked like I was cambodian. :x but honestly, i look chinese, I think i do anyway... :p

4. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

i have gotten thai or something else.. but i never understood that...

5. its kinda hard for them to see the diffrence... i can easy see if someone if 50%chinese or japanese.. but sometimes its even hard for chinese people to see if someone is from vietnam or from china :p

i only see people asking if im chinese yes or not.. never asked if im japanese before :p

6. wingkin

wingkin Member

happens to me all the time

7. xtinox

xtinox Member

yah of course!

i've been asked if i was a japanese, then i said no. then they asked korean, i'm like no. then they're like ....... taiwanese?

lmao :(
    i look anything but chinese according to them :p

8. Seto

Seto New Member

lmao ..i got asked if i was japanese a few times.. because of my last name i think o_O ...
    im just like do i look jap? O_O

9. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Only happened to me when I was in Japan but I was there with my white friend and guess they assumed I was the Japanese friend showing the white girl around.

But the Japanese always think every Asian looking person in their country is Japanese.

10. krazyaznboi

krazyaznboi Well-Known Member

from where i live, its either chinese or korean...japanese are rare in the US

11. surplusletterbox

surplusletterbox Well-Known Member

Yes, very easy to be mistaken as Japanese when I am well dressed, well mannered, clean, well combed hair, washed hair that is non greasy, eat sashimi, speak quietly and say thank you (arigato) and please all the time.

12. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I am not that surprised, I had been mistaken to be a Japanese several times, not only by Whites, but also by other fellow Chineses AND Japaneses! They tried to talk in Japanese with me =_=b I am neither petite nor cute nor heavily made-up, which part of my look Japanese?
    But heck, I never get annoyed by those idiots (since they are, idiots).

13. joceyz

joceyz Member

Excellent point there, hiake!

14. korx

korx Well-Known Member

It happens to me alot. Especially when I go into the restaurants with Japanese or Korean waiters. They always speak to me in their dialect but I can answer them haha so they give me the special seat. HOORAY!

15. winterfuyu

winterfuyu Well-Known Member

people say i look japanese, but i can't tell wtf the difference is. -_- (i'm chinese)

there was this one korean waiter in this japanese restaurant and i thought she was japanese but she was korean so yeah i fail

16. PearlC

PearlC Active Member

i get that quite alot as well, im either mistaken as japanese or korean but funny enough not chinese - hmm.....i don't know why, what makes it worse is that some of my friends think i do look japanese or korean =(

17. pisha

pisha Well-Known Member

i've gotten hawaiian and korean

18. sweet-apple

sweet-apple Active Member

never happen to me be i won't blame anyone for that cuz i used too mistaken other nationality too.

19. CharismaLee

CharismaLee Well-Known Member

yeah i always get that but chinese people seem to think i am half white but then the whites start asking if ur chinese and if ur from hong kong then what are u...is that down to pure ignorance or is it really that hard to understand?

20. 3clips3

3clips3 Member

o.o i don't think that that ever happened to me....actually...-_-" nvr mind i think it has but i was asked if i was viet not japanese...