HAMLET- need character sketch for Ophelia

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by sprite, Nov 28, 2010.

1. sprite

sprite Well-Known Member

I don't know what kind of traits to write about Ophelia. Also a character sketch example for Ophelia is appreciated :)

2. Dh_135

Dh_135 Well-Known Member

Read the play...

Sparknotes...

Google..

3. sprite

sprite Well-Known Member

yea i did.. i thought of three traits but i just don't know how to support it..well i read till ACT 4.. im actually ahead.

4. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

if your ahead, u should be able to find quotes to support the characteristic traits of ophelia or any other character for that matter....

i studied hamlet too back in ALevel, so if i managed to do that u can do it too

5. sprite

sprite Well-Known Member

. no.. nothing helps.. i read and read and read.. i dont know what to write... this is driving me insane..

6. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

u read an read an read, but do u actually understand what the characters are saying/trying to say? what they say helps to define their characteristics

7. suijei

suijei Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a shortcut, and I'm not suggesting that it's a good idea...as it might influence your own individual interpretation...

Try watching the movie for inspiration, but refer back to the book for its authenticity.

8. sprite

sprite Well-Known Member

i read the summary at sparknotes.. but really that doesn't help much... SO basically i understand what it's going on in the story but I don't understand what is being told in detail. ..
    so.. that's why i'm asking people for help.. which seems to be not working

9. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

What were the traits you decided on?

Innocence I think would be a good one to write about. She basically loved Hamlet, but had a tragic end because of Hamlet's plans to get revenge on his uncle. Even though she didn't really do anything wrong.

As for exact quotes I can't really help you there, since that was like 3 years ago lol.

10. sprite

sprite Well-Known Member

ohh i did like submissive, gullible and loyal yea

11. khaotic

khaotic Fobulous

Those 3 seem pretty similar. I think you combine submissive and gullible since they almost mean the same thing.

But what do you think of innocent? She didn't do anything wrong, but got involved in this because of her father, hamlet and others. Which led her to finally end her life. I'm sure you can find some proof in the play for this too?

Is this just an essay assignment?

Also if you would like a visual interpretation of the play then I suggest the 1996 film, it's much better than Mel Gibson's awful adaption. It's directed by Kenneth Branagh.

I wish I could be of more help, but I read hamlet 3 years ago, so I don't recall much.

12. sprite

sprite Well-Known Member

thanks for.. all the help :) i handed it in already