H.e.l.p - Personal Statement

Discussion in 'The Rant Section' started by evil_mui, Aug 20, 2006.

1. K, I need to write a personal statement about myself but I'm stuck! -cry2
    I haven't even written a line...-unsure

I'm like lookin online and stuff...and I'm like WTF!? -what? Coz I need it when I enrole for my second year at 6th form and I dun really have a lot to say, plus I dunno what I'm gonna do at uni >.< So...its pretty hard -_-2

I need some tips/advise on how to start and what to write and any examples would be helpful

ThanQ!! -kiss1

2. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

hey i think its a bit weird how you've gotta write a personal statement already i didnt need to hand mine in till before xmas oh well :)

ermm i think you need to read through a few university perspectus's and see what course you wanna do and focus your personal statement around it like that... as you need to at least know what course you wanna do

3. Yeh..well...If I knew what I'm gonna do myself then I wouldnt be so stuck -cry2

Yeh my 6th form is so fukin GAY! Why the F do we have to do it now! Its not even the real thing its coz they wanna see it? GrRr!! Gay!!

*Stressed*

Basically, maybe Psycology, Travel or History...>.<"

Arghhhh I dunno :(

4. brown_bear

hee hee dont panic it'll be fine just calm down and think it through rationally :)

well you've picked the subjects you roughly ... thats a good start :) i think you now need to make a few questions up for yourself to answer e.g.

1. what do you do in your spare time
    2. what hobbies you have

but surely your school would've given you some sheets about how to write it havent they??

5. Omg!! Right!!!!! Dun get me started on this!! So angry!!

The example/ the so called GUIDE!!! was like a couple of sentences....like whats your fav subject etc! WTF!! -what?

Hmmm...okies well I've started writing bout my voluntary work that I've done during the past year...

But I'm tryin to keep it broad atm but its kinda hard -unsure

Hmm..next is hobbies...chattin online? LoL -lol Comp freak!! -noclue

WHYYYYYYYYYYY do I have to do this!? -cry2

6. brown_bear

nah you want to go into detail about all your stuff and then cut it out later.. its easier to cut bits out than add bits to it :)

well your making a really good start with what your voluntary work.... say what you've done, what you've learnt from doing it etc

hobbies: instead of chatting online change it too 'surfing the internet...... (something your interested in)

i think you need to either write yourself some questions or try writing a list of things you like/dislike/do/don't do...... as that way really helped me to write mine

7. Oooooooo good idea thanx hehehe :D Mannn this is so much harder than I thought! Its hard enough as it is for me to write like a page >.<"

This is like torture!! -cry2

I've just realised...I've only written 8 lines -sweat

u kno if theres a limit?

8. brown_bear

ermm yeh i thinks it like 150 lines.... in TImes new roman, font 12 but not a 100% sure.... cant qute remember i'll double check that if i was you k :)

i know its difficult...... i hated writing mine as i hate talking about myself and trying to write how great you are!!!

hey when you've finished dont forget to get a tutor to proof read it :) hey i'll read too if you want hee hee

9. Aww fanx!! Lub u!! *MwaH*

Yeh its like hmmm...u have to make urself sound so good but not big headed at the same time its like AHHHHHHHHHH!

Ok I've done 16 lines *woot woot* :D

I've got like till the 8th >.<"

I proper have to keep using a thesaurus GrRr

10. brown_bear

yeh try not to use the thesaurus too much, when you use it too much its very noticeable k

Keep going!!!!

11. Arghhh I've done 18 lines!! *woot woot*

I'm gettin there slowwwwwly but surely?

12. Nervios

Nervios Well-Known Member

LOL, thats the first time ive heard about writing a personal statement for a 2nd year of sixth form...i didnt have to when i went to mine...only needed to write one when i had to enrole for 6th form and uni....um...is there a word limit firstly? i mean if there isnt..you shouldnt worry yourself on how much your meant to write...if you keep worrying about the word limit, your mind is gonna go blank...

-You could write about the subjects you intend to keep in your 2nd year....and why you want to keep them.

-Write how you could improve this year, what you've done bad in your first year

-Write what university you want to go and what kinda grades your expecting

-write if you are gonna take any hobbies or extra curricular activities and how they would affect your studies like will it improved by aiding it some way or another or how it's gonna benifit you...

-and any other stuff you want...like why is transport so crap in britain LOL...dont include that...something erm... if you are gonna do any work experience to try and help you experience the kinda career your aiming for...etc etcera-ra-ra-ra -_-

13. ^Wow thanX!!

Yeh my schools gay!! Its soooooooo stooooooooooooooooopid! Why do I have to write it nowZ? >.<" I might not even be goin to uni :(

Well...so far I've written about psychology 3 more subjects to go -lol

This is hard -cry2

14. Nervios

Nervios Well-Known Member

haha nps...your college...wants you to think about your future....trying to make you think about uni =p just to make their "name" better..you know lol..other than that...they want you to work abit during the summer =p

Just write any crap la lol, it's just pointless crap >.> normal personal statements aren't longer than 500 words (about 1 page) thats if your gonna apply for uni...

15. Hmmm... I feel so stoooopid writing it tho its like u have to make urself sound so good yet notbig headed >.<"

Why are they doin this to me -cry2

I've almost written a page!! *woot woot* :D

16. brown_bear

^ hey surely one page is enough....... post it up for us all to have a quick read -lol

17. *ahem* TRIPLE POST!! -lol

Nahhh its not done yet :p

18. brown_bear

^ what triple post ha ha

i'll sit tight and wait for it then hee hee :D

19. AgentAlpha

AgentAlpha Well-Known Member

i guess most importantly is find out wat u gonna do or really wanna do at uni.
    Think like wats ur best interest r and then try to write something about it.

I guess i couldn't give u any good advice here since i m in canada, and the education system is different.
    I remember when i apply for uni, no personal statement and shits :p

good luck :p

20. U LiL -noclue Muahaha :p

OmgZ! I've so given up >.<"

Its just me me me I'm so great!! Yeahhh right -lol