Gigi Leung 梁詠琪

Discussion in 'Chinese Female Artists' started by sir_denster, Jan 7, 2007.

1. sir_denster

sir_denster Well-Known Member

Gigi Leung

[​IMG]

Gigi Leung Wing Kei (Traditional Chinese: 梁詠琪; Simplified Chinese: 梁咏琪; pinyin: Liáng Yǒngqí) (born 25 March 1976) is a Hong Kong singer and actress.
    Contents

* 1 Biography
    o 1.1 Early Years
    o 1.2 Entertainment Career
    * 2 Spokesperson
    * 3 Relationship
    * 4 Filmography
    o 4.1 TV Series
    * 5 Discography
    * 6 Concerts
    * 7 References
    * 8 External links

Biography

Her birth name is Leung Pik Chi (梁碧芝) but at the age of 7, her name was changed to 'Wing Kei' by her mother for superstitious reasons. Leung as a child suffered from frequent asthma attacks and it was believed a change of name would bring better health. At 5'9" (176 cm), Leung earned the nickname of 'Tall Girl'. She has a twin brother named Keith Leung (Leung Wing Chun, 梁詠俊).

Early Years

In her youth, GiGi Leung attended the Maryknoll Convent School. Later, she went to the Hong Kong Polytechnic University where she gained a diploma from the School of Design. It was during her study at university that she accepted a modelling assignment from the watch company City Chain and caught the attention of film director Lee Chi-Ngai who cast her in her very first movie, Doctor Mack (1995). The success of the movie brought her a further role in Full Throttle (1995), shot while she was finishing her diploma. For her supporting role in the film, Leung received a nomination for Best Newcomer at the 1995 Hong Kong Film Awards.

Entertainment Career

Her singing career began the following year with the debut album Love Myself (1996). Since then, she has sung both Cantonese and Mandarin songs. She is recognized not only as a Cantopop/Mandopop singer, but as a songwriter and lyricist as well, having written songs for both herself and other local singers. She has a contract with Warner Music Hong Kong, with more than a dozen albums to her name. She has performed in several full-scale live concerts including one entitled Funny Face in 2003.

Since 1995, Leung has starred in over 20 movies, most of which are dramas and comedies. She has worked opposite acting veterans such as Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Andy Lau and Jet Li. In 2003, she starred with Takeshi Kaneshiro in Warner Bros. Pictures' first-ever Chinese-language film Turn Left, Turn Right. Notably, at the Hong Kong Film Awards, Leung was nominated for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress for roles in Tempting Heart (1999) and A War Named Desire (2000) respectively.

Primarily an actress on the silver screen, Leung briefly appeared in the TVB serial The Last Breakthrough (2004). She has also performed in a number of stage musicals including The Great Entertainer (2004). Other works include the Cantonese narration for the Japanese movie Quill (2004).

Spokesperson

Outside of the entertainment business, Leung has acted as the Hong Kong spokesperson for Japanese cosmetics company Fancl House since 1999. She is also an ambassador to both United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Hong Kong.

Relationship

Leung was once the girlfriend of Hong Kong singer/actor Ekin Cheng. Arguably, the public exposure of their relationship in 1999 had a negative impact on her career, since Cheng was still going out with local actress Maggie Siu at the time, and Leung was regarded as the 'third' woman. Repercussions from this affair remain visible in current gossip columns. In January of 2006, Leung and Cheng broke up and went their separate ways. She is now reported to have a boyfriend Sly from France but this remains unconfirmed. Gigi states they are still in the getting to know each other stage. However more recent reports Gigi says they are only friends.

Filmography

* McDull, The Alumni (2006)
    * Driving Miss Wealthy (2004)
    * Love on the Rocks (2004)
    * Sky of Love (2003)
    * Turn Left, Turn Right (2003)
    * Mighty Baby (2002)
    * Fat Choi Spirit (2002)
    * Roots and Branches (2001)
    * The Avenging Fist (2001)
    * La Brassiere (2001)
    * A War Named Desire (2000)
    * Marooned (2000)
    * Those Were the Days (2000)
    * Tempting Heart (1999)
    * Afraid of Nothing: The Jobless King (1999)
    * A True Mob Story (1998)
    * Hitman (1998)
    * First Love Unlimited (1997)
    * God of Gamblers 3: The Early Stage (1997)
    * We're No Bad Guys (1997)
    * Feel 100% (1996)
    * Feel 100%... Once More (1996)
    * The First Option (1996)
    * Sixty Million Dollar Man (1995)
    * Full Throttle (1995)
    * Doctor Mack (1995)

TV Series

* Last Breakthrough (2004)

Discography

Cantonese

* Grown Up Short Hair (2006)
    * Look (2005)
    * [ente'tein] (2004)
    * I Like Gigi (new songs + hits) (2004)
    * I Think, I Sing (2003)
    * Funny Face (2002)
    * I Live in 7A (2002)
    * G for Girl (2001)
    * Suddenly, This Summer (2001)
    * Fireworks (2000)
    * Kiss (new songs + hits) (2000)
    * Good Time (2000)
    * Today (1999)
    * I'll Be Loving You (1998)
    * A New House (1997)
    * Love Myself (1996)

Mandarin

* Love Songs For Myself (2006)
    * Clockwise (new songs + hits) (2005)
    * Sense of Belongings (2004)
    * Magical Season (2002)
    * Transparent (2001)
    * Amour (2001)
    * Love Gigi The Most (new songs + hits) (2000)
    * Fresh (1999)
    * Gigi Leung (1998)
    * Washing My Face (1997)
    * Short Hair (1997)
    Concerts

* Tall Girl Gigi Leung Funny Face Live Concert (2003)
    * Live 903 (2002)
    * G For Girl Live (2002)
    * Gigi Leung 903 Concert (2000)

2. i used to like her... but then i started to hate her after she started datng Ekin... n now hmmm... i still dun like her that much... but wouldn't say i hate her...

3. sir_denster

So now that they broke up, you're indifferent?

4. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

Gigi's songs are alright i reckon...
    Makes me feel happy when i listen to it sometimes >.<

5. no... not really... they break up didn't make me like or dislike her more... i still remember that smile of triumph on her face when she first walked out of Ekin's apartment early in the morning...

6. sir_denster

hahahaha.

7. saikira

saikira Well-Known Member

i nvr heard of her song, but her image is nice though

8. reko888

reko888 Member

Her look is quite classic

9. Zan

Zan Member

I've never been keen on Gigi - I don't know why. I've never listened to any of her music though.

10. sir_denster

Did anyone listen to her new Mandarin album? "Love Songs for Myself"?

11. fruity dofu

fruity dofu Well-Known Member

i did..but i think i prefer the cantonese version better..i think that was the best song in that album..yeah..i remember back in the days, she won an award for her song "love myself"..it was good..i kept looking for that song, but couldn't find it..however, it seems like she's not as popular as the others..like sammi, mariam, kelly...it's quite disspointing that her relationship with ekin affect her career..well..at least i think she sings better than twins and many others..lol..she can hit some high notes..i think she just need to pick more better selection of songs..

12. littlebaby

littlebaby Well-Known Member

she is so cool.. =]

13. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

Gigi is actually a really good singer, her voice is nicee, she can so sing and she's pretty! i so want her back in the HK music industry!! have u seen her sing along with Leo, Joey and Hacken at this tvb charity show? omg she sang soooo well (and Joey WAS FANTASTIC TOO ^^)

14. sir_denster

What show was it? Which year?

15. sir_denster

A lot of song selection has to do with management, I think, and promotion. I think she's switching recording companies soon, so it'll be interesting to see where she goes!

16. JYJLrock

JYJLrock Well-Known Member

i think beginning of this year, TVB charity show

17. sir_denster

How did you watch it? DDL? BT? Can you post it if you have it?

18. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

i quite like gigi, i think shes really pretty her singing not bad, not really seen her acting to be honest, but mind you i probably have seen her in films just cant quite remember -lol

19. neva_1437

neva_1437 Member

I really like her song ~ one in particular. Oh and I love her movie Turn left turn right, perfect classic romance movie =]

20. kkk3

kkk3 Member

she looks good.. but song ok only..