Gauged Ears

Discussion in 'Health, Beauty, and Fashion' started by negiqboyz, Oct 25, 2012.

1. negiqboyz

negiqboyz Well-Known Member

My kid thought the guy was wearing a costume type of ear and pull on the teen's left gauged ear. I was relieved that nothing serious resulted from it. Kinda scared the hell of me.

Seriously, I don't understand why people gauge their ears? or other parts of the body. It's so so so so so so NASTY. NOT cool either.

2. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

wonder if its possible to have a gauged penis...hmmmm....

3. saw it today and i was like WTF? i guess it's like tattoos, at least its not as bad as bagel heads

4. There's nothing "nasty" about this. We think it's "nasty" because it falls outside of what we consider to be "cool" or normal.

There are plenty of social, historical and cultural reasons as to why people gauge their ears.

The Mursi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mursi_people) and the Thai hill tribe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_tribe_(Thailand)) are some of the people who gauge parts of their body, for historical, social and cultural reasons.

Kids (or adults) these days gauge because it's a social statement, just as why "gangster" type kids wear their pants low.

It doesn't fall under what _we_ may consider "cool" or "proper", but in the end, in the words of Peter Griffin: oh my god. who, the hell, caaaaares. As long as our kids aren't adopting that fashion, and they don't pose a threat to us, why should we care about what other people do?

5. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

I think you should start a "Random shit I have on my mind" blog.

6. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Beauty can be mainstream, or it can be extreme; what different cultures determine to be attractive, and indeed, even what individuals within said cultures find attractive, can sometimes be as outwardly perplexing as the most elegant mathematics. I guess one has to necessarily be "in tune" with the beauty that one sees, even if no one else does. Of course, having said that, we also recognize that in modern western society there are certain socially acceptable norms of parenting, one of which is to not treat our children's bodies as if they were blank slates from which to express our own bizarre artistic vision. IMHO, there's a fine line here, between a conceptualized individual form of personal beauty and the statutory definitions of abuse. Would I let any of my children do that, even it they wanted and demanded to? No. Would I ever even suggest or try to push that on my kids simply because I though it would look cool on them? Hell No.

To each his own, but for that child's sake, I hope someone called the cops on the parents.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Belgian%20Penile%20Gauge

Or, look up Prince Albert Piercings. Be careful what you wish for...

Who would ever think that Hypodermoclysis would become a fashion statement, "Hey Look, I'm Worf from Star Trek, LOL..."

[video=youtube;XP5udgFS8SM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5udgFS8SM[/video]

Seriously, I would be very careful with subcutaneous fluid infusions into the forehead, as the fluid can migrate to other sensitive structure like the nasal passages or the eyes. Hypodermoclysis, was originally designed as a simple method of hydration and generally targets the wide area skin tissues of the chest, abdomen and thighs. Infiltration of fluids into such a limited space as the forehead, where gravity would almost certainly induce movement towards the sensitive structures of the eyes and nose, is IMHO, a risky practice at best and may be catastrophic should infection arise. Or lets put it this way, imagine an anaerobic bacteria getting in there; one would have to debride (remove) all the surrounding skin tissue and expose the infection to air in order for it to be treated. Then they can go around with the next fashion craze, the "no forehead" look (ie. you'll look like that Florida guy who got his face eaten).

#6 ralphrepo, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  7. kontradictions

kontradictions Well-Known Member

Translation:
    What looks good can be what you like or very different. Different people think different things are good looking. I guess you have to like it to think it looks good. Of course, the way parents teach their kids is normal for a lot of people. I think it is hard to tell between being different and getting hurt. I would not let my kids do that even if I thought I looked cool.

8. Flames

Flames Out of Date User

Ahhh prince albert, been there said that like couple years ago, think I traumatised aireefor telling her to google i

9. kevin

kevin RAWR!

The bagel head, ahh look so painful. Couldnt' watch after 1 minute (half way through)

10. negiqboyz

I know some did for cultural or religious reason but nowadays, that's not what I am seeing. We are living in a city now .. people with gauged ears are everywhere. If it's a fad like the tattoo, at least tattoo you can be hidden beneath your clothes .. gauged ear .. ahh .. don't think so. What is going to happen once this trend is out?? There will be big loops hanging down since they are not gonna heal up anymore. I really wanna know what these people are thinking. It's almost like self-mutilation. Yuck. I must add .. having such piercings will be in a serious disadvantage in a fight .. Like tattoo, I still don't think it's cool at all.

11. ^ Not the smartest thing to do, no. But hey, the world wouldn't be the world, without stupid people, right?

12. negiqboyz

13. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Yuck! I'd rather just eat whole grain...