Food I notice in J-dramas

Discussion in 'Japanese Chat' started by Tony, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

In a lot of modern dramas, typically the family oriented ones, there's always someone eating rice with a RAW EGG cracked into it.

Who really eats this??????? Is the rice really freshly cooked and hot so that some of the egg gets steadily white? Yolk?

I want to puke now

2. iamci

iamci New Member

Mmm that actually sounds pretty good if the egg is cooked by the rice. I guess I'm weird? haha.

3. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I don't know, it does but I can't imagine how it would be if it wasn't cooked by hot rice. It's weird! I mean what if they also eat it with cold cooked rice?

4. rin

rin Well-Known Member

hot rice and raw eggs, taste yummy...normally i added some light soya sauce to it for taste...

5. BigC

BigC Well-Known Member

^^It's called tamago kake gohan. Some people eat it with cold rice or hot rice.

6. nick2000

nick2000 Member

raw egg? Fear factor comes to my mind >,>

7. eva_v_angel

eva_v_angel Member

i couldnt handle the raw egg on its own, but that sounds quite nice, with the bit of soy.
    id imagine if the rice is hot, it would be a bit like when some people have the egg with hot pots 'da bin lo'

8. pj61852

pj61852 New Member

YUM! its seriously really good with soy sauce!

9. endlessluv42

endlessluv42 Well-Known Member

I think the eggs that we have here in North America...isn't edible when it's raw. So, to be on the safe side...I would not eat the eggs we have here raw.

10. bbes

bbes Incredible

ye don't rele eat many things that are raw unless they are supposed to be raw. so raw egg is a no no.

11. zeezoo

zeezoo New Member

eww, raw eggs...all I can think of is SALMONELLA!!!! yup, raw eggs should be off limit anywhere in the world, not just north america.

12. bbes

bbes Incredible

well i don't believe that ppl in other countries think about eating raw egg anyway. lol.

13. necronrised

necronrised Active Member

isnt it lyk crackin an egg into a cup of steaming hot milo?
    i've seen some old folks do tt

14. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Back in Alabama, we used to drink milk with banana and a raw egg mixed together in order to gain weight quickly if you were too small or light weight for football... Yeah, I know, the things people do...

Ralph

15. dmogg29

dmogg29 Active Member

I used to eat food like that as a kid, except it was Chinese food. The raw egg on top makes it a lot more enjoyable for some reason.

16. Jaaku

Jaaku Member

Raw egg... seriously? I know egg can be cooked in fried rice, but raw? Doesn't sound right.

17. tiffystars

tiffystars Well-Known Member

In the past
    the chinese also ate raw egg ?? my father and other elders did too xD

but come to think about it- whats wrong eating it raw... we are the only mammals who eat cooked things LOL

18. crystalized

crystalized Member

they also do that in bibimbaps (a korean dish) sometimes. I've had it come in a hot stone pot (like the rice and veggies and stuff) and the server cracked a raw egg right on top and mix it in. since everything else was so hot, it would "cook" the egg after it had been mixed in.

19. MunMun

MunMun Well-Known Member

oh i had rice in a hot stone bowl with a raw egg cracked on top of it and the stone was cooking it!! i love half raw eggs!! i do that with my noodles!! crack a raw egg into it after ive cooked the noodle :D

20. xprlt

xprlt Well-Known Member

often the raw egg is actually slightly cooked (just a thin skin aroudn teh rawness)
    and yes, the rawness is supposed to get a bit cooked by the eheat of the rice. japanese people like mushy food.