Finally! Nice To See A Dedicated Travel Section In PA Forums

Discussion in 'Traveling Abroad' started by ralphrepo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

If it would be possible, might I suggest that any travel related threads found in other sections be moved here. That way, it would make searching through previous threads that much easier. Obviously, it would be a monumental undertaking to go through all the threads, but rather than do something too onerous, the mods could, say... just move them over as they encounter them? :yes:

#1 ralphrepo, Apr 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  2. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

For a second I thought the plane was flying into the building...

3. reno

reno Well-Known Member

love travelling... hate the flying >.<
    ughhhhhhhhh

4. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[video=youtube;cQqAxp6qtxs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQqAxp6qtxs&feature=fvwrel[/video]

[​IMG]

The world famous Kai Tak Airport of Hong Kong, though no longer operational for regular commercial air traffic, was once the life blood for travelers into and out of HK. I remember the first time I saw that airport was back in the 1960's, landing there after taking my very first international flight on a four engine British Oversea Airways propeller driven plane. Later in life, in the early 90's, I had to travel through Kai Tak several times a year, so through the repetitive travel, I became intimately familiar with how frightening those landings can be. The tortuous flight path past mountains and high rise buildings, ended onto a short length single runway airport, with the entire route often hammered by stiff crosswinds, was decidedly a white knuckler even for seasoned airmen, much less their hapless passengers. It was purportedly rated by the History Channel as the 6th most dangerous airport in the world. Kudos to those pilots that were able to do it every several minutes, 365 days a year. Plane spotting became a very popular pastime around Kai Tak as fans went to watch those magnificent heavies negotiate the treacherous landing requirement into HK.

[video=youtube;OtnL4KYVtDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=OtnL4KYVtDE[/video]

#4 ralphrepo, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. laofuzhi

laofuzhi Well-Known Member

^ that's the reason the pilots need special licenses to fly into HK (or so I heard).