Excel assignment help

Discussion in 'School Work Help' started by yhw, Oct 6, 2010.

1. yhw

yhw Member

Hey people,

I got an assignment where we use formulas to extract information from an excel sheet. I personally do not have any experience with Excel:confused:, so any help is welcome
    This is my assignment:

this is the link to download the webserver-logfile: http://www.multiupload.com/ORCKYX54BM

The webserver-logfile contains data from participants in a usability study. The participants were asked to search for information on a medical website. The logfile contains records of the documents that have been processed by the webserver. In the document pathnames you will find the participant's number (see below). The researcher wants to know how the long pages have been visited by the participants. The page visiting times will be statistically analysed in SPSS. The researcher requires an Excel file with the imported logfile plus the following variables: participant number, page name, viewing time of the page. Proceed as follows:

• Import the file accesslog.txt in Excel.
    • Remove all lines that contain a reference to an image file (files with the extension .gif).
    • Use formulas in Excel to extract the participant number and the page name from the column containing the reference to the webpage and put them in separate columns. For instance, if the column contains the string "GET /p_21/contents.html HTTP/1.1"), the participant number is 21 and the page name is 'contents' (without the extension .html).
    • Use a formula to calculate the viewing time of each page and put the result in a separate column. Please note that the logfile contains data from more than one participant!
    I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me!

Thanks in advance,

Yik-ho

#1 yhw, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2010