Edison Chen back in HK ; Leaving showbiz indefinitely

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Feb 21, 2008.

1. [​IMG]
    Thursday February 21, 2008 Hong Kong

The man behind this nude photo scandal, Edison Chen accompanied by East Asia Music boss, Peter Lam flew back to Hong Kong via Thailand at around 10am this morning. His immediate destination upon arrival will be the police station.

He will hold a press conference at 3pm in Kowloon World Trade Centre and this post will be updated as soon as details are made known. He will make a statement just like what Gillian did earlier and will not answer any questions.

His "speech" will probably be shorter than that of ah gil's. Because he cannot say he is "naive and foolish" - but he has nothing left to say about all of this - and I will bet this guy will most likely weasel himself out - thinking his career will flourish and that everyone will forget about all of this. Perfect timing for him because of Lydia's death, he can actually use this to draw media attention away from himself.

Talk about true to life coward and a real life walking a*shole.

[​IMG]
    [youtube]UnHZs-inodE[/youtube]

Press Conference Brief:
    - Admits that he took the photos
    - Sighs and says he is not shirking responsibility
    - Has been with his family all this while
    - All photos are his private items and he did not meant for them to be uploaded
    - He will exit the entertainment industry
    - Says sorry to all those involved in this scandal
    - He had gone overseas to heal his “wounds”
    - Will co-operate with police to solve the case
    - Has given his consent to lawyers to take legal action
    - Thanks the public for giving him a chance to apologize
    - Will devote his energy towards doing charity work
    - Hopes that everyone can forgive him

credits: coolsmurf.

#1 shinobi, Feb 21, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  2. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Even if he didn't quit the industry, he would of had a hard time to recover back his status.

BL Edison.

3. lee-lee

lee-lee Well-Known Member

Full press conference:

[youtube]UnHZs-inodE[/youtube]

his speech was a bajillion times better then gillians. how sincere, only he knows.
    but i felt more for his speech. gillian's, i just wanted to beat over the head.
    leaving HK entertainment...he'll pop up somewhere else-->china, waaaaaaay
    larger amount of ppl = more money.

4. robsh

robsh Well-Known Member

this guy is a prick

yeh i agree with lee-lee

5. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

yeh.. i agree edison's speech was wayy better than ah gil's.
    *sigh* don't want him to leave the entertainment circle... but I guess he has no choice though after all this. He really does feel really badd and hope people will forgive him.

6. he'll step away from HK entertainment industry... does that mean he'll b going to mainland, tw n US??

funny... where ever u go there'll always b the dorks who doesn't turn off their phones...

7. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

dude...i reckon he shouldnt ask for forgiveness...yes the pictures leaked out and got published...but i dunno...
    the girls knew what they were doing so imo...no need to apologize to them...no one forced em to be in those pics... and its not like they were candid shots...

anyway the pics he took were what he enjoys doing in his private life...
    if he enjoys it...i dont see its harming anyone or whatever...its none of anyones business

8. fruiteh

fruiteh Active Member

i reckon we should give the guy a break
    its not like he wanted the pics to get out
    n their personal things, why would he want to intentionally harm
    those actresses and himself
    at least he was able to admit the entire thing in front of press conference and apologise
    whats done is done, apologising and keeping commitments is already pretty gud
    considering so mny ppl are taking it out on him
    i mean he's already leaving the industry what more does everyone want?
    i also agree with wat missangiecheeks sed
    the actresses probably knew they were in those pics
    in my opinion i reckon its whoever decided to leak out the photos
    was being realli selfish and stupid

9. Chibi12

Chibi12 Well-Known Member

I think he made a good statement and apology, more sincere than gil's. They were all adults and knew what they were doing, guess no one plans to have their files stolen from their computers. Hope he goes on to do well in america's movie industry, shame if he quits the entertainment industry for good

10. goo wak jai

goo wak jai Well-Known Member

it was a good speech by him, feel sorry for him. It weren't his fault those photos leaked out...

11. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

His speech was well done, it targetted most of the main points. He only said indefinitely which meant, he might be back in HK sometime later on. I'm sure he'll get some sympathy from more people now; at least from rational people. I sure he'll be goin to taiwan, china and maybe U.S. Just hope those morons in HK will move on and stop flaming the man.

12. bbes

bbes Incredible

the whole blame can't just be put on edison but by him taking all of the responsibility i think that in itself retains him being a gd role model, as he is able to accept what his mistakes are and take the consequences by leaving the hk entertainment industry. i think his apology was very sincere and myself as a person would def forgive him and i feel that he in future years can return back into the hk entertainment industry. also, in his conference he talks about all the main points and i think that many ppl will feel sympathetic towards him. this speech is much better than gillians, her speech of naive and foolish, i felt was not very sincere. she also tried to avoid this whole matter and i felt that she never totally admitted to the ordeal. after her speech i was not very sympathetic towards gillan at all and i still feel that she has just as much blame and the fact that she hasn't admitted to this ordeal or taken much responsibility for it makes her much worse of a role model and tbh i think she should leave the hk entertainment industry though i highly doubt she will.

13. hkm91450

hkm91450 Well-Known Member

Why does he speak ENGLISH all the time!?!??! It's not like he doesn't know Chinese either.

"I will devote my time to doing charity work and community work?"?????

"...step away from the industry .... to search his SOUL??"

14. I don't have any hard feeling towards edison mostly because he and the other girls did take the photos under confidence they would not be distributed publicly, they were stolen by someone and used as blackmail to gain money. People will do whatever it takes to gain money.... =\ So I hope everything will smooth over soon for him =]

15. babs

babs Well-Known Member

poor guy. it's not really fair to all of them. it's not like he posted the pictures himself. why should a promising career be ruined because of one's greed?

sigh......

16. drsnoopy

drsnoopy Well-Known Member

Edison Chen (陳冠希), the male star at the centre of the sex photos scandal that has rocked Hong Kong, held a long-awaited press conference today. He confirmed that the photos are authentic, apologized for the fallout, and promised to suspend his showbiz career.

It was the first time the actor-singer had returned to Hong Kong and faced the media since he left the city after sex photos of him and women – purportedly celebrities including Gillian Chung (鍾欣桐), Bobo Chan (陳文媛) and Cecilia Cheung (張栢芝) – started surfacing on the internet almost four weeks ago.

He arrived back in Hong Kong around 10 AM from the US. He spent a few hours at home before going to the Hong Kong International Trade & Exhibition Centre in Kowloon Bay to address the press around 3 PM. His entire statement was in English.

He confirmed that the sex photos belong to him and had been stolen from his computer.

"I admit that most of the photos being circulated on the internet were taken by me," the 27-year-old said.

He added: "But these photos were very private and have not been shown to people and were never intended to be shown to anyone.

"These photos were stolen from me illegally and distributed without my consent."

Although he did not reveal the identity of the women in the photos, he apologized to them.

"I would like to apologize to all the ladies and to all their families for any harm or hurt that they have been feeling. I'm sorry," he said.

He apologized for the public fallout the scandal had caused.

"Most importantly, I would like to say sorry to all the people in Hong Kong. I give my apologies sincerely to you all, unreservedly and with my heart," he said.

He added: "I know young people in Hong Kong look up to many figures in our society. And, in this regard, I failed as a role model."

He revealed that he will be quitting show business.

"During my time away, I've made an important decision. I will wholeheartedly fulfil all commitments that I have to date. But, after that, I’ve decided to step away from the Hong Kong entertainment industry. I've decided to do this to give myself an opportunity to heal myself and to search my soul," he said.

"I will be away from Hong Kong entertainment indefinitely."

He said that he is cooperating with the police, who have been investigating the leak and spread of the photos.

"I have been assisting the police since the first day the photos were published, and I will continue to assist them. After this press con, I have obligations to help them with their investigation."

He finished: "I hope all of you will accept my apology and give me a chance."

Although hundreds of reporters, photographers and cameramen had gathered, Edison did not take any questions.

When Edison was driven away, over a hundred police officers joined hands to form a human barrier around his Mercedes-Benz.

Three outnumbered and brave fans turned up to support their idol.

lol, pwd.

17. tien317

tien317 Well-Known Member

Well...at least he showed up and faced the media...speech was good...All d best Edc...

18. drsnoopy

drsnoopy Well-Known Member

in the press conference, edc, said that he had a copyright for these images and movies? bullshit. He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

the dumb banana probably thinks that since the pictures are his that he has some sort of "copyright" attached to it. *cough* WRONG. hahaha. What he should have said instead of copyright are, "these pictures are mine, and should've stayed mine".

What really deeply makes me angry is that, even though he had so much time, he could have AT LEAST did the speech in Canto. Doing it in english, made it sound so awfully insincere and was playing up to the media that he is nothing but an American. (even though i hate to recognize him as a Canadian).

19. zero_c

zero_c Well-Known Member

"In all countries where the Berne Convention standards apply, copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights."

So yes he does have copyright on the pictures.

He shouldn't need to apologize to anyone except for the girls involved in the scandal. Even if he leave the HK industry, he will be able to find work in Taiwan or US. Especially in the US, the media or public can care less if the actor have naked picture of them floating around on the internet.

20. fookjay07

fookjay07 Well-Known Member

wow so this is true...