Driving in Hong Kong with UK drivers licence?

Discussion in 'Traveling Abroad' started by guildhall, Apr 2, 2012.

1. guildhall

guildhall Member

Hi guys
    I going to HK for 2 weeks holiday. I want to drive but not sure if I can legally. I have a full UK licence, UK passport and also have 3 star HK ID.

Anybody drove in HK with their UK licence before?

Thanks in advance!

2. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

i think you can drive but renting a car is like over 700hkd if u choose to rent..better to just get international license

3. reno

reno Well-Known Member

i drove in hk with an au licence =P

technically speaking, there's no more of those "international drivers licences"
    there are international drivers permit, which is essentially a translation of ur existing drivers licence into another language so that wherever u are, u have a temporary valid licence to drive with

if you're going to another english speaking/written place - there's no need

4. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

check the hk car rentals, they should have license requirement

5. guildhall

guildhall Member

Thanks guys! The thing is that my Dad already have a car in HK and I am not planning to rent. Can I just jump in with my UK drivers licence?

6. laofuzhi

laofuzhi Well-Known Member

I think wherever you go, you can use your driver's license from a foreign country for a certain period of time as a tourist. That's my impression anyway. I drove one of my uncle's car with my US license in TW, 2 or 3 years ago. Of course, it's not really HK and I didn't have any crossings with the police; so I can't really tell you if it's legal or not.

7. I'm sure you can rent a car... if an American can get a rental in HK i'm sure you can lol

8. reno

reno Well-Known Member

just keep in mind, driving the car is one thing
    insurance is very different

so if an accident does happen - make sure ur covered!!
    lots of people and cars in very little space (heaps fun i must say)

9. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

Like reno said, getting a car is easy and fairly cheap but the insurance will be more of an issue.

10. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

just dont drive like a retard or attract cops and you will be fine..since you are from uk, you won't have problems with driving on the other direction

11. you should look at the actual laws and regulations there...

http://www.td.gov.hk/en/public_serv...kong_for_overseas_driving_licence_/index.html

Basically in HK you can drive with an foreign/international licence, for a period not exceeding 12 months. You can only drive with a foreign/international licence in the class/category as specified on your foreign/international licence..

In short.. you will be fine to drive over in HK with your UK licence. But as the others have stated, you may want to get your dad to check the insurance cover to make sure you're covered

12. Beckyhe

Beckyhe Member

Driving in hong kong is not easy look for parking