Do you think you have freewill?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by phoenix_aquarius, Nov 18, 2006.

?

Do you think you have freewill?

1. Yes, absolutely.

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. No, definitely not.

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Undecided

7 vote(s)
    26.9%
  1. Do you think you have...

freewill?

#1 phoenix_aquarius, Nov 18, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  2. chariot28

chariot28 Active Member

Have you ever heard of the theory that all decisions are random?

It kinda goes like this:

Your brain is made up of billions of cells in a complex network of functions and decisions and creativity.

Let's simplify this example by assuming that the decisions you make are based on 100 cells. Now each of these 100 decision cells just have two functions. They either say YES or NO and which function they produce at any one time is completely random. So it's like flipping a 100 coins at once and counting up the number of heads vs tails. If there are more YES functions than NO's, then you do something, e.g. Do I wear my suit today? Well, if 75 cells say yes, then you decide to wear it. If only 30 cells say yes, you don't wear a suit. It's complete random how those cells will fire.

Now the probability of these random cells saying YES or NO are effected by various factors like environment, social conditioning, genetics, etc. So going back to the previous example, let's say that you're going for a job interview. Some of those cells are more likely to say YES now and so you end up wearing a suit. With me so far?

It's important to say that each time a decision is made, it's completely random, even though the probabilities of a YES or NO answer are effected by various factors. The reason why randomness is so important is that it explains why every now and then, we decide to do something against all logic i.e. not wear a suit to the job interview. Also it explains why we sometimes can't decide what to do despite obvious pointers from everyone else.

In conclusion, despite the effects of various factors such as environment, genetics, etc. it's still us (with our random cells) making the final decisions! Therefore, free will!

3. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

damn did you get that out of a dictionary

4. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I do not think freewill exists in a conscious sense. We may be deluded to say we have freewill, but in fact we make decisions base on what we know and what we've learn.

5. kdotc

kdotc 안녕하세요빅뱅K-Dragon입니다

we choose wat we do

6. onelove

onelove Well-Known Member

anyone care to explain the term for me?`

love`
    mon

7. rave13

rave13 Well-Known Member

Freewill is just an illusion. The outcomes have long been decided even before one makes a move.

8. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

I am not totally sure abt this myself. But I think it exists somehow in different individuals.

9. kosoke

kosoke Active Member

Individualism or depending on one self. we do not even have control of our self because there is some ting call reflex which we cant control contiously

10. smallrinilady

smallrinilady Well-Known Member

the idea of it is so confusing

but i think that weird scientific thing
    well i dont believe in that
    cause if that was the case, why would it take us so long to make decisions some times?

11. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

You might think it's random, but what if it's already decided upon the final answer. What if the "factors such as environment, genetics, etc" are predetermine then whatever you think the random was is bascially condition to that final answer. So you won't know for certain you have freewill of not

12. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Well-Known Member

Of course we have free will. Any normal person has the power to decide for them selves what they want to do or say regardless of the factors involved.

13. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

But you are assuming you have free will.

What if I say the following:

You can choose A or B
    You decided to choose A
    You believe you made that choice through free will

However, what if A was already pre-dertermine as your choice no matter B exist or not.
    Therefore you still unable to determine whether you have free will or not.

14. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

there is free will..but there are consequences...

15. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

Free Will
    eg -
    There is a choice between A or B
    Because you have free will, you decided to choose A over B
    Therefore you have free will, beacuse you "MADE" that "CHOICE"

I guess the oppositie would be the follow:
    eg -
    There is a choice between A or B
    You decided you choose A
    However, no matter B exist or not, it would not be a factor because A will be the choice no matter what circumstances might there be. The choice was pre-determine by Greater Being.

My example are probably not well explain... but I hope is kinda understandable

16. p3ps1c0la

Ok, but I also have the free will to choose neither. See it doesn't really matter what the circumstances are because in the end I could just choose what I want to do and what benefits me the most therefore exercising my free will (free will to choose).

How was it predetermined? Please don't tell me you're thinking about fate? Cause logically if there's a choice to be made there's free will to be exercized.

Ok, if somehow we end up in another dimension where your entire life was complately mapped out and you're life is now the equivalent of a track on a cd, then you wouldn't have free will. But the reality is we live in a free world (I'd like to believe that's completely true) and free will is rampent.

And no I'm not assuming we have free will, I know we have free will.

17. p3ps1c0la

Ok.. I don't see how you can debate free will, which is very real, and use "Greater being" as the backbone of your arguement. What next? Fate? Destiny? Come on.

18. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

^
    Do you believe in God? *Just curious

19. p3ps1c0la

Well, I'm an agnostic, so I try to keep an open mind but I'm definitely leaning more towards the seeing is believing side of things and I just don't see how any religion is capable of proving there is a god and vice versa so I guess there might be an answer somewhere in there for ya.

20. AC0110

AC0110 Let the Fun Begin

I see... but I'll just point this out anyways

1) God exists as in Christian God
    2) God has the following characteristics -
    i) He is Omnipotent ii) He is Benevolent iii) He is Omniscient

a) God has given human the ability to think upon themselves = Free Will.
    b) Christians claim that their God is omniscient meaning that he is all knowing.
    c) If he is all knowing then he knows exactly what actions we have done then do we still have Free Will?...

Therefore there is a contradiction...