Do you think the galaxy is infinit?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by donkeyhit, Feb 21, 2006.

1. donkeyhit

donkeyhit Well-Known Member

Do you think the galaxy is infinit (goes on forever) or there is a limit (a wall on both side)?

Peronsally I think the galaxy is infinit, however some of my friend believe that it will stop at a certain point...

[Edit] btw... does anyone every think what's on the opposite of the black hole...

*some info on the black hole*
    It's the only object in space that can literally absorb light (scary), and before u can even get close to it, your body will break into like 5million pieces becuz of it's gravitation since it has a massive size... and expanding i believe

#1 donkeyhit, Feb 21, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  2. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

yup

3. Knoctur_nal

Knoctur_nal |Force 10 from Navarone|

well..its a reason it called space....made up of multiple galaxies....so essentially..one galaxy does have an end....but where it ends...there is space and other galaxies...so essentially...a galaxy does end...its the space it occupies that is infinite...it...the milky way...our home galaxy.

4. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

hahaha that was sum explanation

5. drakan

drakan Well-Known Member

galaxy is finite, universe is infinite

6. Knoctur_nal

haha..my explanation was right as i just proved.

7. naruto1314

naruto1314 Well-Known Member

maybe
    i kinda buying it

8. Knoctur_nal

well...our galaxy is the milky way...and it ends...but wat continues is space...space consisting of other galaxies separated by space and made up of space....space that is infinite...

9. 小小

小小 (゚ー゚)(。_。)(゚ー゚)(。_。) afk

rite too many spaces -confused

but i get u ??? great explanation -lol

10. Knoctur_nal

i came up with both of those explanations on the spot....and they actually make sense..ha!

11. dayofnight

dayofnight Active Member

man all dis explaination get me more confused.... jux lease it the way it used to ... "the earth is flat and god is controlling it <period>" lol

12. Knoctur_nal

but where is the earth located..in the milky way galaxy..which ends...and space starts...occupied with more galaxies...and then more space..so in the end..its all infinite space occupied with galaxies...

13. lalalala

lalalala Active Member

i think that the galaxy is infinite. i mean, i believe that there's gotta be something out there, it's just that we don't have that technology to know or see it.. so interesting!!

14. donkeyhit

i did a little bit of reseach and if i read it right... the theory was that the galaxy has a limit and when it reach to that limit... it will contract till there's nothing, and yes there is serveral galaxy with in space.... while the space is infinite =)

but i'm curious... what's outside of space o_O

15. AVANT

AVANT Well-Known Member

The Universe and Galaxy have different meanings. Galaxy is finite. Just like our Solar System is finite, just on different scales. Universe is the whole thing, made up of numerous galaxies. Yes they can mathmatically prove that other Galaxies exist.

Even the universe has been theorized to be finite. Said the big bang theory blew everything apart and will grow for sometime, but then the gravity of everything in it will pull it back together.

What's beyond "space"? At this point, scientists' guess is nothing (as in no matter and no dimensions what so ever).

16. ccho19

ccho19 Active Member

Infinity n limit ????? I'm so confused...... HAHAHA

17. Err0r

Err0r Well-Known Member

it is not infinite. but it is still expanding since the big bang, exponentially. it will eventually come to the point when the rate of expansion decreases and it will start contracting, slowly at first but then faster and faster. it will contract until all matter smashes together into another big bang, which will cause it to expand again.

^^ that is the general theory the majority of scientists believe in as of today ^^

18. Knoctur_nal

pft...all these scientists and their theories...bastards they are...

19. aftashock

aftashock Active Member

we cant tell, but so far it does seem infinite

20. donkeyhit

what ur saying there is only for the galaxy... not the space....

the space goee infinity but the galaxy like u say will contract once it reaches it limit