Do you believe that life is pre-determined?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by gawain187, Jun 2, 2009.

1. gawain187

gawain187 Well-Known Member

As the OT states. Do you believe that everything we do is pre-determined.

In a way it is true because think about this. Your mother gave birth to you, that was pre-determined.

Who we will end up with is pre-determined. Some people are pre-determined to live up to a certain age.

The actions we choose to do can only go up to a certain point. The rest is all pre-determined.

Also if someone where to commit suicide maybe it was pre-determined that they will kill themselves.

But one flaw is that you really don't know the future but actions you take now can lead you down a path of abundance or poverty.

People have more control over their future than they think but people allow their past to dictate their future which makes the future seem "predetermined".

For example, if you come from a broken home then you're going to live a life of sadness and broken relationships. But you can make the choice to not let whatever you went through stop you from reaching your goals.

2. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

how is it "pre-determined" mammi give birth to you...if you were an 'accident'..?....-tongue2...

3. ab289

ab289 Well-Known Member

it's pre determined that I win the lottery; so i'm going to just sit here and wait for my lottery to fall from the sky, through my door and onto my lap.

4. gawain187

Well it could be the case that the accident was pre-determined

Whether your pre-determined to win the lottery or not its not known. That is the flaws with the pre-determined theory

5. Xib

Xib Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    don't forget to flush ~

6. gawain187

[​IMG]

7. you basically believe in destiny... there is no right or wrong answer for this cause everything can be argued that it was pre-determined you would think like that. The only true way to disprove destiny is time travel; changing history would prove that things were not MEANT to be this way but was a matter of choice/decisions and actions

8. [​IMG]

9. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

life is not pre-determined at all!!
    yeah maybe mummy and daddy has "a plan" for us but then who said we have to follow them coz we are suppose to plan our lives ourselves :p
    als o i totally agree about the accident part :p

10. gawain187

[​IMG]

11. Sponge_bob

Sponge_bob Well-Known Member

As an academic person , I strongly do not believe that life is already determined .

Have you ever heard "chaos theory" ? When this theory apply to human life , it is define as " what you do now will change the future , even if you just think about it " . Every action has a consequence(s) . I believe human life are on probabilistic and firmly in your own hand because what you doing now dictates what will happen in the future , in what we called as " results " .

Chinese are always known for its future-telling . What if a future-teller told you that you are going to get rich when you are 24 ? So , are you just gonna wait until 24 and then something happen and you are rich . This will might happen and might will not . It is the odd we are gambling in . God did play dices with us .

12. we're country bumpkins

13. bbgirlsum

i don't like how Sponge_bob quotes himself as academic... yes he is by the theories he's questioning and all that but doesn't me people who are not academically orientated are stupid and does not have a valid philosophical point of this view...

bumpkins???

14. backwards county folk

15. bbgirlsum

basicly conservative?

16. ^no, thick and/or ignorant basically

i was being sarcastic and pointing out that what he said was kinda condescending though im sure it wasn't intentional, your post #14 was in line with what i was saying. besides, who isn't academic nowadays.

17. Xib

Xib Well-Known Member

18. sorsorgangan

sorsorgangan Member

well. yes in a sense. ie the future is predetermined by what you are doing now.

so, just enjoy life and not to overthink too much about it.

Its like if a fortune teller tells you will be famous one day. But the problem is, you have no idea what you going to be infamous for. You could end up being an axe-welding murderer.

19. warpling

warpling Member

Not so much pre-determined as circumstantial. We all don't function alone, in the big picture, we are all parts of something bigger, interconnected. What others do will affect us and the other way around, which makes way for a much larger and complicated picture. In short, its not something for us to really find out because in the end, it might not be worth it anyways.