非常平等任務: Discrimination in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Chinese Chat' started by Yong-Shi, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Yong-Shi

Yong-Shi Well-Known Member

These videos feature the lives of foreigners (外國人) living in Hong Kong and the discrimination they often face because they are non-Chinese and appear different from everyone else around them. Because of this, their daily lives are affected, including schooling, job opportunities, as well as their own personal lives. I thought this was interesting and I wanted to share this with you all too. This is in Cantonese only, and it also helps if you can read the Chinese captions because there are times that different languages are being spoken.

Description: RTHK and YMCA segment on opening the eyes and broadening the minds of Hong Kong people about racism.

PART 1
    [youtube]FMwyOINhUAY[/youtube]

PART 2
    [youtube]nmDuQzOY1fc[/youtube]

(Though it seems as if the story continues on, the original uploader said there are only two parts to this.)

2. 無得頂

無得頂 Well-Known Member

This happens in all countries. Even in canada, non-canadians are looked down upon.

3. dim8sum

dim8sum ♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪....

funny thing is I watched this a few days ago

You get a lot more discrimination in HK because the culture is not so diverse. In England its pretty normal for the next person not to be white, but in HK if your not Chinese, then people gonna treat ya differently

heck they even treat overseas born chinese differently

4. THF20

THF20 is a Chinese

Its a pretty good tv program...

5. Taxloss

Taxloss Stripper Vicar

Yeah these kind of things happens everywhere unfortunately. But this reminds me of the time we were once visiting some relatives in HK and at a certain point there was just my niece, my sis and I left in the living room with the Filipino au-pair who had to take care of a toddler, our aunties' grandson. She gave us some snacks to eat and asked some simple things as where we're from, school things etc in English as she was apparently craving for a little convo in a language she understands. Just a little chitchat but when the auntie came back in the living room she had this unfriendly/unapproving look on her face! -ohmy

Even when I was about 16 or so, I could tell that she didn't like the fact the au-pair was chatting with us! I didn't want to bring this nice au-pair into trouble and also didn't want to make this auntie to 'lose her face' so I quickly ended the convo by telling her it was nice to speak to her but I had to ask my auntie something, so I can turn my attention to the annoyed auntie. -mellow

In this case it was clearly that this auntie had this class justice view; au-pairs/maids aren't supposed to talk to guests...>.<

6. ede559

ede559 Well-Known Member

that phillipines girl Nimfa is quite hot

7. Kachi_no_Kemuri

Kachi_no_Kemuri Well-Known Member

im pretty sure shes not filipino.

She looks 100% chinese

8. uraha

uraha Well-Known Member

Discrimination is a normal thing. Every where you go you will feel discriminated if they aren't like themselfs.

9. joemickey

joemickey Well-Known Member

You got a point, and there is in my opinion the post 1997 factor also.

10. nyckeion

nyckeion ....Boo....

no matter where u are and what u are u will still be discriminated somewhere

11. hot wings

hot wings Well-Known Member

yeh shes chinese, she trying topull it off by having a tan ¬__¬ but yeh shes hot -clapclap

but damn filipinos do sing really good!

12. Lowing

Lowing New Member

In France, we have the same problem.

13. peace

peace Active Member

Discrimination is all the same in over the world but don't have the same importance

Before, I don't know that in HK or China there are as much discrimination because I've never seen it. (maybe i'm little candid)

14. BigM

BigM Well-Known Member

Racism and discrimination will always exist--As we are all humans, and each and everyone of use has our faults

Even in Australia, regarded as a multicultural country, these kinds of things exist... You just don't hear people make such a big deal of it..

Take the Cronulla Riots for example

15. dcdc

dcdc Active Member

discrimination in hong kong? wow

16. hiake

hiake Vardøgr of da E.Twin

I've heard that Australia in fact is very discriminatory, especially if you are non-white and on student VISA... Not sure how much truth there is... -unsure

What is so 'wow' about discrimination in Hong Kong? -huh

17. dummiexp

dummiexp New Member

is that flipino girl vangie tang? it looks like her

18. pimperro

pimperro Well-Known Member

Yes i know.... but sometimes i can inmagine why canto people do this. Some Expats think they can do anything in a foreign country. offcourse not all of them. But they can sometimes be sooo rude and disrespectful.

But I dislike how the canto people treat phillipines. Especially the older canto generations.

19. auta

auta Well-Known Member

as a matter of fact it really depends what area you live in. if your in the city area its not that bad and your pretty much accepted any/everywhere. but with the area's with less education its a bit different and can end in massive disputes. theres not alot of discrimination on asians/blacks/whites, but there is however on muslims.

but other then that its a pretty nice place if your a foreigner, anyone would dedicate thier own time to show you around and teach you a few things =)

20. pimperro

pimperro Well-Known Member

My family in Hk has a Philipin maid. Personally I think they are treating her well. But in some cases they treat them very bad....