Dicky Cheung Returns Taking Lead Role in TVB Anniversary Drama "The Handsome Marshal"

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by b-lee, Feb 17, 2017.

1. b-lee

b-lee ǝʌıʇɔǝdsɹǝd ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ

dicky-cheung-tvb-2017.jpg

Never say never. After a 20-year absence, actor Dicky Cheung (張衛健) is finally making his long-awaited TVB comeback.

Yesterday, the 52-year-old—best known for his performance as the Monkey King in his last TVB drama, 1996’s Journey to the West <西遊記>—attended a signing ceremony in Tsim Sha Tsui with TVB executives Catherine Tsang (曾麗珍) and Virginia Lok (樂易玲). Dicky will be starring in TVB’s 50th anniversary drama The Handsome Marshal <大帥哥>, which is produced by Steven Tsui (徐正康) and begins filming next month.

The trio greeted the press as they walked through a red carpet, arm in arm. After a few hilarious exchanges with the MC, Dicky signed the contract for The Handsome Marshal.

The signing ceremony was both a press conference and a comedy show. Virginia joked that the signing ceremony felt like a wedding, saying, “The last time I performed such a grand signing ceremony was when I got married to my husband.” Dicky added with a laugh, “The last time I got married, I also walked on a red carpet. At the time I only had one wife. Now I have another two wives.” Catherine piped in, “You mean two aunties.”

Dicky and TVB had always remained in contact. Over the last two decades, the actor has received many casting offers from various TVB producers, but he never agreed to any of them. Asking why he decided to return to TVB this year, Dicky listed out three reasons: TVB’s golden jubilee year, the Hong Kong viewers, and Catherine Tsang.

“It is [TVB’s] 50th anniversary. Many of our families grew up watching this TV station. If this organization never existed I would have never debuted,” said Dicky. “I also really want to thank the Hong Kong viewers. Although the center of my focus has not been in Hong Kong in the last 20 years, I would always be greeted with enthusiasm every time I return. I really want to come back to do a drama for them.”

Dicky also added that he desire to do a project in Cantonese again. “I never had that opportunity where I could do a Cantonese drama. Of course, I could always speak my lines in Cantonese because my voice would be dubbed over anyways, but my costars would have no idea what I’m talking about.”

As for Dicky’s third reasons, he said, “I want to thank one of the most important women in my life—Tsang Jeh. She’s seen me grow. She even knows how many girls I dated in TVB! But she’s never forced me to return. This is a big day, and she invited me personally. I had to say yes.”

Did TVB hire Dicky back with a large paycheck? Catherine Tsang joked, “He doesn’t need to negotiate anything. Just trust me!” Dicky admitted that he was quite shocked when he first heard about the price, but after Catherine Tsang pointed out that it was in the higher end, he agreed to it. Catherine Tsang was touched by Dicky’s generosity.

Creds: Oncc

2. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

I just hope he can still bring that flare he once had. Everyone's expectations will be high and it's going to be hard to live up to it.

3. KeNNy

KeNNy Well-Known Member

I don't know... not expecting much. He hasn't been that active acting past few years...

I'm a big fan of his. Is it going to be a modern day drama? I always felt he was better in Ancient time setting.

4. I think its ancient comedy? I'm hearing Tony Hung is in it smh.....should reunite the trio of him, wayne and mak bao!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. confirm cast?

Dicky Cheung

Sisley Choi

Tony Hung

Raymond Cho

Tsui Wing

Zoie Tam

he came back for a such a small cast:gum: must of been hella good script

6. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

weak ass cast... some of them don't seem comparable with dicky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????????????????

GOTTA BE FUCKING KIDDING ME? I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR YEARS FOR HIM TO COME BACK!!!!!!!!!!

But really? Please do not F this up and give a weak ass cast with him. No more TONY FUCKING HUNG

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. KilaKilaGirl

KilaKilaGirl Well-Known Member

holly crap, Dicky is back into the market but come on.... what kinds of casts are those people?!

9. KeNNy

KeNNy Well-Known Member

Dicky is his own cast lol.

should unite dicky and roger!! lol

10. Phoenix

Phoenix *~Though she be but little, she is fierce~*

Yes! They totally should, still remember that drama they were in ~ :oldman:

11. BeauKnows

BeauKnows Well-Known Member

Dicky can carry the whole drama by himself, doesn't need much of a supporting cast. Maybe it really centres on Dicky's character and nothing else so don't need another big name actor/actress. For 50th Anniversary drama this should be a good script with lots of promotion.