Definition of 'happiness'

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Religion' started by NDJaii, Oct 31, 2010.

1. NDJaii

NDJaii Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about the definition of happiness for months already. I can't really think of a good definition, though.

Wikipedia:
    But that's Wikipedia..

What's your definition of 'happiness'?

2. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Happiness is when you have a smile on your face, you do NOT shed any tears; sorrowful tears. Your heart does not ache (heart broken feeling) and you have no things to worry about; stress free.

Happiness will bring delightful days where you smile in the inside and your body language shows that you are joyful.

That's my definition.

3. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

Happiness is the satisfaction that you feel from life. It may not be easy to reach this satisfaction but the outcome causes the feeling of happiness. This feeling can come through with many other emotions that can get confused with, i.e. tears, frustration.

Yes Kevin is right about stress-free but without that you can't reach to the happiness or goal that you want to satisfy yourself with.

4. NDJaii

NDJaii Well-Known Member

Interesting thoughts. Care to explain what you do to feel happy?

5. kevin

kevin RAWR!

It's a natural feeling/reaction. An example is this:

Your wife is giving birth and you are about to become an official father, the feeling you get is the satisfaction of happiness!

6. NDJaii

NDJaii Well-Known Member

I know, but aren't there things you like to do when you feel like having fun, or when you're a bit down?

7. bbgirlsum

To me there are different kinds of happiness.

There's the LOL happiness where you feel like you are having the time of your life.
    Then there's the happiness in the back of your mind where I'm satisfied with things that are going on.
    There's also happiness for others which sometimes makes your heart melt with a bit of jealousy too

8. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Why you letting us do the answering, share YOUR THOUGHTS aswell xD

9. NDJaii

NDJaii Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure of my answer, really, but if you insist :p

Happiness for me is.. being with close friends and family. Not having to worry about tomorrow, but rather enjoy living today. Bearing the thought that everything's turning out like you planned, or better. Seeing people around me smile, as if they share the same thought mentioned before.

10. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Heres a good example.

In primary school, you have no homework, nothing to worry about, just go school, come home eat/sleep/watch tv/play games. Tadahh, happiness! Stress free!

11. bbgirlsum

Thats basically like being born in a spoilt rich family woth no worries and atress at all coz everythibg u want and need will be there in front of u

12. kevin

kevin RAWR!

^
    Yup, but eventually when you get to the REAL world (born from a golden spoon), every single thing will be taking away from you, happiness = sadness.

13. NDJaii

NDJaii Well-Known Member

I don't think happiness = sadness. Happiness =/= sadness. Happiness can be followed by sadness and vise versa, though.

14. bbgirlsum

^
    So true like i said there must be some sort of emotion to come with or after happiness. Life csnt jusy be purely happy theres always the negative side

15. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Nothing is perfect, simple as.

16. NDJaii

NDJaii Well-Known Member

If 'nothing' were something, then even nothing would not be perfect ;)

17. kevin

kevin RAWR!

okay...?

18. richard203

richard203 Member

Happiness for me is u have a oky paying rich and a family u love. ^.^

19. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

happiness...is something or someone that can make me smile =]

ive always been told if you are happy...happiness shall blossom where ever you go..

20. ultim8camper

ultim8camper Well-Known Member

i think a good answer would be watching persuit to haappyness