Daniel Wu Starring in AMC Series "Into the Badlands"

Discussion in 'Chinese Entertainment' started by shinobi, Jun 27, 2015.

1. daniel-wuinto-the-badlands.jpg
    June 27, 2015

American cable channel AMC, best known for its drama series Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead, will be introducing a brand new original series this fall. Starring Daniel Wu (吳彥祖), the new AMC martial arts drama series Into the Badlands aim to introduce a new kind of martial arts fantasy drama to the American audience.

Into the Badlands is loosely based on the epic Chinese tale Journey to the West <西遊記>, a classical Chinese novel about a Buddhist monk and his three protectors who take a dangerous journey to India in order to obtain sacred texts. In the AMC series, Daniel Wu portrays the ruthless warrior Sunny, who embarks on a journey across a dangerous land to find enlightenment. He takes in a young boy M.K. (portrayed by Aramis Knight), who learns to become a powerful warrior under Sunny’s tutelage.

Hong Kong actor and director Stephen Fung (馮德倫) co-produces the series along with Daniel. Stephen expressed that it was luck that led him to have the opportunity to collaborate with AMC. The story of Into the Badlands is conceived by Stephen, Daniel, and two other producers.

“Daniel and I are probably the first Chinese producers to produce American television,” Stephen said with a laugh. “But I’m not sure if I am the first Chinese director to make an American TV show!”

In regards to the differences between working in Hollywood and in the Hong Kong film industry, Stephen said, “There isn’t much, but we do get better benefits for being part of the Directors Guild of America.”

Stephen said that the Directors Guild of America had better health and welfare plans. Being part of the guild also gave him a higher chance to work with bigger film projects. Stephen revealed that he is currently working on a new project Everything is Possible <無所不能>, a film about magicians. He hopes to be able to begin production by early next year.

Creds: Ming Pao

#1 shinobi, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. kevin

kevin RAWR!

This sounds promising! Might be weird for the non-asians though haha

3. turbobenx

turbobenx .........

o word? I've always like watching daniel's shits.... but stephen.... not sure

4. crasianlee

crasianlee Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this, when will this come out.

5. xbkl9413x

xbkl9413x Member

nice a new style of journey to the west.