Daced canned fish

Discussion in 'The Food Section' started by shinobi, Jun 11, 2011.

1. missing this...any one that tried this knows its the best! good with anything congee, rice, even noodles! brings back memories :(
    [​IMG]

no where to be found anymore though.

2. kevin

kevin RAWR!

Love that!
    'dull see len yuu' (black bean dace, aka the title).

Heard it's because of people dying after eating this or the amount of sodium/soda used to preserve this fish freshness.

Ralph, enlighten us LOL

This can be eat cold or hot, goes with literally anything! Yum yum

3. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

Arent they canned sardines?

4. kevin

kevin RAWR!

whatever they are, they are Nice!

they still sell it but it's on rare occasions and they are EXPENSIVE!

5. mr_evolution

mr_evolution ( • )( •ԅ(ˆ⌣ˆԅ)

expensive canned food?

6. sardine is so smelly lol this has no smell cause its fried and that black bean sauce ...the taste cannot be duplicated!
    [​IMG]

7. kevin

kevin RAWR!

EG: 7 years ago this stuff cost £1.79 and today it cost around £3.50 per canned fish. Hey shino, any idea why they rarely sell these?

EDIT:

Read the red if you are in a rush like to take a dump lol

#7 kevin, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  8. china for sure still has them...i think its harder to get them over here now...so fewer shops carry them....or shop don't want to carry it for that reason why it was banned.

9. MissCheekS

MissCheekS Reconnaîssant ❤

they still sell this in NL... my grandmother used to feed us this canned stuff lol... havent had this for a long time but im sure ive seen it at asian supermarkets! kinda weird u guys dont have this anymore in canada since there are like soooo many chins there....

10. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Actually, this is rather old news. It has been a long standing issue since 2007. Following article was from CNN Money:

And here is the excerpt of the relevant order from US FDA website:

In other words, the items are NOT banned. However, any importer of such products would have the product automatically detained at customs, until the importer has the items tested and can then prove to the FDA that said items are free of the discussed chemicals. This is rather an onerous requirement. Many of the Chinese companies are working overtime in trying to eliminate the use of these aggressive aquafarming production carcinogens from their products in order to regain entry into their most profitable market, the US. However, given the way that the PRC manages food safety, it's going to be a very hard task to accomplish.

On a personal note, as for the canned Salted Black Bean Dace? I can't stand the shit.

#10 ralphrepo, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  11. bbgirlsum

bbgirlsum Well-Known Member

I thought they were sardines too. I don't eat them but my parents does but then that's coz the fish is too dry and I'm not into black bean muchy :-(

Last time I had it when there were literally no food in the house at all lol

12. kevin

kevin RAWR!

wahh Ralph enlightened us once again lol *thumbsup*

I can't stand black beans too but for some reasons I could cope with the black beans within this daced canned fish.

13. brown_bear

brown_bear ☆‧° ☆﹒﹒‧ ☆ ﹒﹒‧☆‧° ☆

wow never heard of it called...'daced canned fish'.....is that sorta like just saying
    dead fish..??...yeshh ya can still get it in chin supermarkets here....but ya gotta
    becareful and not get the ones that dun have the black beans.....if ya only likey
    the ones with black beans...coz theres 2 diff. ones.....one with black beans and the other without...

ive never been a fan of them anyways...my fam likes them though

14. colbne

colbne Well-Known Member

I am cautious of China-made stuff especially food stuff since there have been so many reports of unscrupulous Chinese business persons who add all sorts of stuff into the manufacture of their goods - milk that kills, fake eggs, and what-nots and even toxic toys. We will all do well in being cautious.

15. ralphrepo

ralphrepo Well-Known Member

Well, to be grammatically correct, the type of fish is known as a Dace (a common name for a collection of several species of small fish). So the title of this thread, "Daced" Canned Fish, should actually be written as Canned Fish or Preserved Dace; one cannot "dace" a fish per se. Be that as it may, a canned fish is usually dead. Since you're in the UK, Brown Bear, a US agency like the FDA obviously has no say in the import of items into your country.

16. runtohell121

runtohell121 ........................

I thought the US still has them.. Bought some recently from the supermarket -unsure... but maybe different brand from what shin posted.

this is the brand we bought..
    [​IMG]

17. kevin

kevin RAWR!

If it's white pearl it's genuine. Rest are fakes.

18. EvilTofu

EvilTofu 吃|✿|0(。◕‿◕。)0|✿|吃

This product is still available in a lot of Asian stores, although I don't buy it much, a few times a year we'll have it for dinner or lunch. It's really good. I like fermented black beans, it's good with spare ribs...

China's gov't really is slow to take care of this food safety issues, almost every day you see stories about food contamination, fakes and they aren't punishing those people hard enough.

19. RockkxD

RockkxD Moderator

Confirmed: NY still sells/has them.

20. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

This stuff is so good lol. This is all I had for like a week during exams...No time to buy groceries and all my food from home was gone xD

#20 The_Jelly, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2011