Converting problem

Discussion in 'Science, Technology & Car Chat' started by Kenny_8, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Kenny_8

Kenny_8 Well-Known Member

Hello,
    I've been encountering a problem which I haven't been able to solve so far. The problem is that most rmvb files downloaded from popular asians can't be converted to avi due to a "invalid sound *thing*" I've used multiple different converters but all come up with the sound problem. For example I can't convert "beautiful cooking"episode 3 but I was able to convert episode 1 and 2. I can't convert the movie "kung fu chef" but I was able to convert "Emergency Unit" episodes. This problem is driving me crazy.

Any help appreciated :)

2. BestOffer

BestOffer Well-Known Member

why avi? just convert to dvd from rmvb; same thing, they work

3. SUSIE-DANG-1988

SUSIE-DANG-1988 ~ TVB ADDICT ~

usw convertxtodvd - this program converts from any fomats to dvd and then after it converts it will burn for you too.
    very simple program to use.

4. The_Jelly

The_Jelly NSFW? :P

Just a shot in the dark here guys, he may not be trying to convert to dvd here...
    @OP - What converters are you using?

5. Phantoman

Phantoman Well-Known Member

Also be a bit more explicit about the "invalid sound *thing*". Give the exact error message you are getting from each converter.

6. Kenny_8

Bink converter: "no audio info" -> when i try to convert anyway the program crashes.
    Winavi: stops at 20% and freezes (no error message)
    Xilisoft converter: "some video or audio files are not valid and failed to load" -> can't force the program to convert anyway.
    Next Video Converter: converts the file without error message but when I open the avi file I can watch it without sound.

The rmvb file itself doesn't show any problem. I can watch it with sound.
    This is the only error message info I can give you so far. Don't have found any ways to get a more detailed error log or something from the program.

And I usually convert it to avi before burning it to dvd...the dvd player somehow doesn't play files that were converted to dvd before burned to the dvd.
    I think that converting to dvd instead of avi won't help that much because there is (i guess) something wrong with the sound info...

Thanks for the help :)

7. Phantoman

I don't really have a clue what can be wrong. My only guess is that the rmvb file is somehow corrupted or encoded in another way compared to the ones that work.

It probably won't help, but for curiosity purposes ... can you download GSpot and open the rmvb file in question and then press on button 1 (in the left bottom corner) ? Assuming that it went fine, then try button 2. Do the same with the avi from Next Video Converter. Does that find the proper audio codec ?

Btw, are you using the RealAlternative (http://codecguide.com/about_real.htm) codec ? If I recall, WinAvi requires that to work properly. Not sure if it can co-exist with the codec of RealNetworks though.

8. Immo

Immo Member

Try using SUPER (free). I have no problem unless the file is corrupt. It has all the codec needed. I have converted at least 60 series to DivX. for my mom to watch on TV.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html (Dl. link)

9. hicomp

hicomp New Member

thanks

no rpboem, when convert this it will work then after that!

10. BestOffer

maybe the files are corrupt? are there audio before you play? did you do harsh check after torrenting? that always help to see if the files are completely error free...

if conversion to avi is a problem why not try converting them to dvd?

11. Kenny_8

@ Immo: Super seems to freeze up like winavi :(
    @ SUSIE-DANG-1988: i'll keep that in mind when I am sure the converters which I am currently using are the problem
    @ noasian: the converters won't load the file or convert the file without sound no matter I select DVD or AVI and I use DDL to download the episodes. The rmvb files itself doesn't show any problem because they have sound and video.

Yes I have the RealAlternative codec installed.

The Gspot data

MS A/V section
    Rmvb file
    Button 1: Render Ok. The following combination of filters was used:
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->(Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer]>--(B)-->[Moonlight H.264 Video Decoder]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]
    Button 2: ehm...nothing seems to happen here?? There is a black box above the button section in the "test section".

Avi file
    Button 1: Partial Render Failure: Following is the error reported by DirectShow: 0x00040242: [unknown]
    More specifically, video could be rendered but the audio could not:
    (Src)-->>--(A)-->[Avi Splitter ]>--(B)-->[Divx Decoder Filter ]>--(C)--[Video Renderer]
    Button 2: I can see now the video playing in the test section but no sound

Then I saw I overlooked 2 other Button 1 and Button 2 >_<
    Gspot Vid Section
    Avi file
    Button 1: (Src)-->>--(A)-->[Divx Demux]>--(B)-->[ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer] Status: not rendered yet. Use 2 to render.

Button 2: (Src)-->>--(A)-->[Divx Demux]>--(B)-->[ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x050a28ac ("Src Media") on Beautifull Cooking.II.03.avi to input pin 0x050b1234 ("Stream") on filter 0x0214bee0 ("Divx Demux"). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x1222c944("Src Media") on Beautifull Cooking.II.03.avi to input pin 0x1222ce1c ("Stream") on filter 0x0214bee0 ("Divx Demux"). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x11818714 ("Src Media") on Beautifull Cooking.II.03.avi to input pin 0x11818814 ("Stream") on filter 0x0214bee0 ("Divx Demux"). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x10c008d4 ("Src Media") on Beautifull Cooking.II.03.avi to input pin 0x10c009d4 ("Stream") on filter 0x0214bee0 ("Divx Demux"). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x0c1e3ee4 ("Stream 00") on Beautifull Cooking.II.03.avi to input pin 0x09528514 ("Stream") on filter 0x0206cd76 ("ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder"). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Video Ok. Use [3] to play

Gspot Aud Section
    Avi file
    Button 1: (Src)-->>--(A)-->[Divx Demux]>--(B)-->[ffdshow Audio Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Default Direct Sound Device ] Status: not rendered yet. Use 2 to render.

Button 2:(Src)-->>--(A)-->[Divx Demux]>--(B)-->[ffdshow Audio Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Default Direct Sound Device ] Status: not rendered yet. Use 2 to render.

(Src)-->>--(A)-->[Avi Splitter]>--(B)-->[ffdshow Audio Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Default Direct Sound Device ] Status: not rendered yet. Use 2 to render.

Failed to connect Output pin 0x003fa934 ("Src Media") on Beautifull Cooking.II.03.avi to input pin 0x050b8d7c("Stream") on filter 0x0214bee0 ("Divx Demux"). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Failed to connect Output pin 0x10e05ffc ("Stream 01") on AVI Splitter to input pin 0x094f88f4 ("In") on filter 0x02083267 ("ffdshow Audio Decoder "). ConnectDirect (.) failed. Error 0x80040207: [unknown]

Thanks for thinking with me :)

12. Immo

Immo Member

HI Kenny I just finish converting B.cooking 03 to AVI. with Super. Went so smoothly.
    Output container - avi
    Output Video codec -DivX
    Output Audio codec -mp3
    Select - Mencoder
    Video _Select your Video Frame size_Aspect (4:3 or 16:9) & Frame\sec.(25or29.97) is Auto.
    Audio_ Freq.---44100
    For around 400mb ---video bitrate kbps---about 1056. Audio bitrate 96 kbps--Low Quali.
    For around 800mb ---Video bitrate kbps---about 4600. Audio bitrate 128kbps-High Quali.
    You can go higher.
    Use DIV50--DivX5\DIV6 decoder.
    Create a folder for the finish files.Right click-- come options.
    Hope this will be of help to you.Just finish converting 20 Epis. 'Thief of Honour' to avi. for my Mom to watch on TV.

13. Kenny_8

Hey Immo, how much time does super take on your pc on average to convert a file?
    mine is sticking at 1%... i aborted after 10 mins when it was still at 1%

thanks for your reply!

14. Immo

Immo Member

Hi! Kenny. I think it takes around 15 minutes or less, Depends on how big the file and how large you what your output file to be.
    Super has all the needed codec built-in.I find it so simple to use so I keep using it for 3 years now.
    Hope your computer have enough rams.or your won't be able to do much at the same time.
    Redownload the file that don't work with other links again,Sometimes it solve the problem!!

15. Phantoman

Well nevermind the avi, that seems to be fubar. Are you 100% sure this is the TV-RMVB version and not the TV-MKV version of Beautiful Cooking II ? If it was RMVB I would have expected something like the following:

(Src)-->>--[RealMedia Splitter ]>--(B)-->[RealVideo Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Video Renderer ]
    (Src)-->>--[RealMedia Splitter ]>--(B)-->[RealVideo Decoder ]>--(C)-->[Default DirectSound Device ]

Instead the decoder GSpot is referencing in your case is the one used for HD videos (H.264).

Btw, how did you get the info from GSpot ? ... typing it over ? Just noticed that it doesn't allow you to copy/paste the info.

16. Kenny_8

[hide]
    I've digged up the downloadlink "http://www.sendspace.com/file/7i1k3j" it's from "noasian" first post. When the download is complete it shows up as a rmvb file. I've checked the preferences in realplayer and only rmvb files will be played using realplayer. How can I confirm it is or is not a rmvb file? For the Gspot data... I've been typing the whole thing over :p @Immo I'll give Super another try. Thanks again :)
    [/hide]

#16 Kenny_8, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  17. Phantoman

You really seem to have an issue with your codecs. I downloaded that episode and it's indeed rmvb. GSpot shows that the correct codecs are being used as well in my case (not yours).

RealPlayer will probably use the correct codecs for rmvb, well since it's their own format. The other applications I guess have to query the OS to find out which codec they need to use and my guess is that this is where things go wrong in your case. Since you have the RealAlternative codec installed, you should be able to use Windows Media Player (WMP) to play the rmvb as well (if I believe you should have selected "RealMedia DirectShow Splitter" during installation for this to work). So can you play this file in WMP ?

I used to have the "Moonlight-Elecard MPEG2" codec in the past as well and it only caused me problems since it tried to decode all different video formats and not only mpeg files. If I recall, there is a configuration screen for this codec where you can select what it should and should not decode. If you do find this, then make sure it's only set to mpeg. Well you can also simply uninstall it and see what happens, but make sure you have the install files somewhere before you do that though in case you need to reinstall. It might have come with one of those codec bundles.

18. Kenny_8

I can't play rmvb files using wmp. I think I'm going to reinstall the alternativecodec and see what happens because going into the configurations makes me a little bit nervous ^_^

EDIT: It seems to work now. RAD videotools converts with sound...didn't have the time so far to try the other converters, but this will do! Thnx Phantoman!

#18 Kenny_8, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  19. Phantoman

Glad to hear that it worked -bigclap

20. BestOffer

hmmm thats quite a long time, let's say avg each file req. 12 minutes, and if u convert 5 files (batched) it will take 1 hour, and i am pretty sure winavi doesn't req 1 hour for converting to vob files =0

SUPER direct download link